BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
imported_Dizzy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

Car Audio Help BBK advice please

Went to Moorooka Northfield Car audio today
Have got a 4 channell JL audio Amp 4300 from an old car.

So to up grade quote is;

Focal 100KRS Splits $615
SvenZ R some sort of adapter $149
1meter RCA lead $49
5 meters speaker cabel $25
Instal splits $165
Instal amp $220

Grand total $1220

Is this ok

Spoke with Drew he knows BMWs very well
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Focal splits are quite harsh due to them using a metal tweeter, and I think you mentioned you preferred a softer sound? They are good speakers, but not sure if you'd like them. Did you hear what they sounded like? They are a slimline speaker so maybe this is why he is recommending them.

Seems a bit expensve to install the speaker/amps, unless these are the going rates nowadays? By the sounds of it also, he is charging you full retail on everything. If you are ok with the pricing, go ahead, but I wouldn't be!

I don't see why he can't do it for at least $1100 or lower.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Does the price include any kind of soundproofing / deadning (Dynamat or similar)? I'm assuming, since he's itemised everything else, that it doesn't, in which case, I agree - seems a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
imported_Dizzy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Focal splits are quite harsh due to them using a metal tweeter, and I think you mentioned you preferred a softer sound? They are good speakers, but not sure if you'd like them. Did you hear what they sounded like? They are a slimline speaker so maybe this is why he is recommending them.

Seems a bit expensve to install the speaker/amps, unless these are the going rates nowadays? By the sounds of it also, he is charging you full retail on everything. If you are ok with the pricing, go ahead, but I wouldn't be!

Thanks BBK you are correct about why he is recommending Focal he was saying this new model has a fiberglass tweeter and sounds much softer than older models, he didnt have any in stock to hear. I am soft with haggling on price. Thanks for your quick reply. When is the next drive??
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
imported_Dizzy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
Does the price include any kind of soundproofing / deadning (Dynamat or similar)? I'm assuming, since he's itemised everything else, that it doesn't, in which case, I agree - seems a lot.
You are correct in your thinking it dosnt include anything like that
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Darren,

I've heard these focals - listened to them myself because I was contemplating doing a similar upgrade to the 118 and they arent nearly as harsh as other focals that I've traditionally disliked - personal preference though, take some of your favourite tunes and trial the shit out of them.

As richard said - its full retail for that stuff. From memory the Focals can be picked up well into the mid 500's....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post

I personally like silk tweeters, my old Alpines were fantastic, nice and clear without being metallic. Not sure if they still make it that way though.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
If it weren't for the wedding coming up I would be in there with you getting something done too Darren :-)

Even the Mrs complains she can't crank it up on her favourite songs like in my old cars...

Next drive... well, when and who is in?! Steve should be in for the next one, and maybe if Sam (000SQ) gets out of bed he will come too!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:12 AM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Will get the UHF radios this time round As long as the stars are align - ie not my long weekend off, then I am always up.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:31 AM   #10
imported_Dizzy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOSQ View Post
Darren,

I've heard these focals - listened to them myself because I was contemplating doing a similar upgrade to the 118 and they arent nearly as harsh as other focals that I've traditionally disliked - personal preference though, take some of your favourite tunes and trial the shit out of them.

As richard said - its full retail for that stuff. From memory the Focals can be picked up well into the mid 500's....
Thanks Mate good advice
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:34 AM   #11
imported_Dizzy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Will get the UHF radios this time round As long as the stars are align - ie not my long weekend off, then I am always up.
Tell us your free dates Sparoz and we should book something it in, may be it should be a shorter trip around Brissie and more people would come there are heaps of people around.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:50 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Dizzy View Post
Tell us your free dates Sparoz and we should book something it in, may be it should be a shorter trip around Brissie and more people would come there are heaps of people around.
The only day I can't make it coming up I am pretty sure is 26th of July. Otherwise, as long as I make it back to work by 3pm
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Think I have a wedding to attend on the 26th July so lets rule that one out. Do we want to do it on a Saturday or Sunday?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

your wedding? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #15
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Dizzy View Post
Went to Moorooka Northfield Car audio today
Have got a 4 channell JL audio Amp 4300 from an old car.

So to up grade quote is;

Focal 100KRS Splits $615
SvenZ R some sort of adapter $149
1meter RCA lead $49
5 meters speaker cabel $25
Instal splits $165
Instal amp $220

Grand total $1220

Is this ok

Spoke with Drew he knows BMWs very well
having my x5 done by another Northfield store with same install, different speakers which retail for $70 less, and the cost is $850. I would ask for a lower price if I were you. My personal experience dealing with them in the past is that their prices are somewhat more than what I would expect to pay.

On the subject of car sound in 1 series coupe, is it possible to fit 5" speakers into the factory front door location without too much modification? Something like Focal slimline 130VRS? Or am I limited to the tiny 4 inchers? Will I need a capacitor if I have total amp power of around 800W? Something to do with the car (BMW specifically) will throw a code if amps are drawing too much current? or is that just BS?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I think <1000 is very good value anyway. My CRV setup was >3.5k, but I am notorious in throwing $$$$ unwisely. Have you guys listen to the Alpines? May be it is a personal preference but I do find they sound clean, accurate, and good imaging. I didn't like the focals at that point in time, but you are talking almost like 10 years ago, so things might have change then.

If you guys want, I can take my car down on a sat/sun morning and you can compare to the stock logic 7 to see what you are getting.
Appreciate 0