BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
DMS Tune on 135i Vert, Dyno results added page 2

Ok guys I got my car back today after having the DMS tune. Now to be clear on this, it is purely a SUBJECTIVE review until I have more time to get dyno numbers and more official 0-100 and 1/4 mile times.

For those who have followed my previous posts I did a very crude 0-100 timed run using my iphone's stopwatch with the gf doing the timing.

Stock car I did about 8 runs and got anywhere between 5.9-6.2 secs. With the tune I got 5.0 - 5.2 secs (similar number of runs).

The difference was definately noticeable. As soon as I got the car back it was woohoo! The biggest gains could be felt midrange. Whereas I was very disappointed with stock, the DMS tuned car was now throwing me back into the seat - did not happen previously. Lower down I noticed however that the engine did not come on song until about 1800rpm, whereas stock it was around 1600rpm. However, once it hit 1800rpm - BANG! Massive amount of torque which kept on coming and felt very linear in its delivery.

The other difference I noticed was that when cruising at 100km/h in 6th the stock car was at 2100rpm, after the tune the car was only at 1900rpm.

The main problem with my 0-100 runs was traction. PLenty of wheelspin, more so than when stock. So my guess is with better launch techniques and better tyres I reckon sub 5.0 secs would be a cinch.

All in all, am very happy with the initial results. Can't wait to get more official timed numbers and also some dyno runs in. A very short review to begin with as have only had maybe an hour with the car today - most of it traffic! But am happy to field any questions.

Last edited by x5mad; 07-03-2009 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Oh man that was close, did one more run this evening after downloading dynolicious and just wanting to test it out.

erm... got pulled over by the cops! Luckily they did not have a radar gun on me as according to the programme I was doing about 140km/h before my sixth sense kicked in and told me to slow down. Anyway, got off with a warning about hoon laws and that was it! The guy was a self confessed car nut and commented about the nice car and asked how much it cost. Close call!

So the numbers (Traction fully on, sport mode, very tame launch as was just testing the programme) 0-100 in 5.34 - lots of wheelspin (and thats why they pulled me over) estimated power was 264kw at the crank (very close to DMS quote of 270kw!). Numbers would have definately been much better had I really been trying.

Have to lie low now for a while, and get more accurate numbers when I can get on a track. Damn, close call!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

Sorry for the poor quality - no scanner!. A UK test from Performance car. You may need to zoom in! PS did they change your Dif. If not, then the revs should be the same as before at 100kph
Attached Images

07-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
The other difference I noticed was that when cruising at 100km/h in 6th the stock car was at 2100rpm, after the tune the car was only at 1900rpm.
Tune sounds great x5mad but you can't change your rpm just by changing your power output. You'd need to change your diff ratio or fit taller rear tyres to lower you rpm at a given speed.
      07-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

You have iPhone, get the dynolicious.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-DFbJQbeSY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-DFbJQbeSY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
      07-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Hey Taka, doesn't this remind you of us doing the runs on my car when I got the tune? Lol. 4.95 was our fastest wasn't it? To the OP, wheel spin actually aided our runs, but we did it from the gravelly emergency lane of the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

4.95 to 98kmh. I have 5.45ish stock in an auto... and I can't launch the shit thing.
      07-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Haha that iPhone test is funny when the guy gets a call.

Oh yeah that's right, 4.95 to 98kmh.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Thanks for the update x5. Where did you get the tune done? I have emailed Mike from I think Prestige Motorsports (Coopooroo) and he told me about the DMS tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Great work x5mad I was really interested in the dms tune. I'd be really keen to see some dynos as well. There was another member on here who had a dms tune and pumped out 210kw on the dyno. How are you finding the car drivability wise and what was your experience like with dms?

Also that was a close call with the cops. I've been told dynolicious is fairly accurate you should definitely try and get some more 0-100km times. I average around 4.9* for 0-60miles which is about 5.0* for the 0-100km run in my 135i coupe stock. You should try some runs with all the aids off in a quiet industrial area on the weekend or after hours.

Last edited by BMW86; 07-01-2009 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qship View Post
Sorry for the poor quality - no scanner!. A UK test from Performance car. You may need to zoom in! PS did they change your Dif. If not, then the revs should be the same as before at 100kph
Thanks for that. I subscribe to BMW car magazine and they have the same review. This was actually done on a convertible.

Also, I don't understand about the changed rpm either - but my eyes do not decieve me! Does changing the gearbox software have an impact? as the tune is more than just upping the boost, as I understand it quite a lot is rewriten in order to integrate the power into an overall smooth package. Will ask them today and see if they can shed some light.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Also x5mad is there any particular reason you went with DMS over BPS (Bayside Performance Services) over in Cleveland?

I know DMS is alot more reputable and you said you managed 265kw at the crank which is around...235 rear wheel kw? BPS managed to get 251 kw at the rear wheels and 491nm torque and both are fairly similarly priced...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
[QUOTE=takahashi;5427251]You have iPhone, get the dynolicious.

I did, read post 2. And that's what got me into trouble lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
[QUOTE=BMW86;5429786]Great work x5mad I was really interested in the dms tune. I'd be really keen to see some dynos as well. There was another member on here who had a dms tune and pumped out 210kw on the dyno. How are you finding the car drivability wise and what was your experience like with dms?
QUOTE]

The drivability remains as per the stock, ie smooth, linear, conservative when cruising and quite the beast when unleashed! DMS (Harding Performance) were a pleasure to deal with, very polite and quick to respond to any questions.

I was actually not aware of Bayside performance. However, the reason I went with DMS is because I know of their history as I used to live in the UK. Their reputation is commendable and they deal with many exotic cars as well as the mainstream German cars as well. They have masses of R+D and usually have their own test cars on which to develop their tunes. In the 15+ years they have been trading they have not had a single problem with their tunes causing any engine/turbo malfunction. They have had mumerous reviews in the UK magazines on cars from ferrari, porsche, BMW, Mercedes etc, every one of them being a thumbs up. They give the increase in power but not at the expense of drivability.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Thanks for the update x5. Where did you get the tune done? I have emailed Mike from I think Prestige Motorsports (Coopooroo) and he told me about the DMS tune.
The tune was done at:

Harding Performance
(I forget their details - but search on google)

For 1 addicts members I have secured the following
(normal price = $2400)
10% discount for members = $2160
15% for cash = $2040
further discount for group buys of 5 or more

Remember though the price does not include dyno runs.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

[quote=x5mad;5430357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Great work x5mad I was really interested in the dms tune. I'd be really keen to see some dynos as well. There was another member on here who had a dms tune and pumped out 210kw on the dyno. How are you finding the car drivability wise and what was your experience like with dms?
QUOTE]

The drivability remains as per the stock, ie smooth, linear, conservative when cruising and quite the beast when unleashed! DMS (Harding Performance) were a pleasure to deal with, very polite and quick to respond to any questions.

I was actually not aware of Bayside performance. However, the reason I went with DMS is because I know of their history as I used to live in the UK. Their reputation is commendable and they deal with many exotic cars as well as the mainstream German cars as well. They have masses of R+D and usually have their own test cars on which to develop their tunes. In the 15+ years they have been trading they have not had a single problem with their tunes causing any engine/turbo malfunction. They have had mumerous reviews in the UK magazines on cars from ferrari, porsche, BMW, Mercedes etc, every one of them being a thumbs up. They give the increase in power but not at the expense of drivability.

At this stage I'm still leaning towards BPS but the main advantage DMS has is that their tune is invisible and they are very reputable worldwide. I think I'll wait to see how the dynos turn out but it sounds very promising. If i go with BPS even though i'll have 250rear wheel kw i'll be giving up my warranty. Are you going to try and get some more 0-100km times soon?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
The tune was done at:

Harding Performance
(I forget their details - but search on google)

For 1 addicts members I have secured the following
(normal price = $2400)
10% discount for members = $2160
15% for cash = $2040
further discount for group buys of 5 or more

Remember though the price does not include dyno runs.

Thanks thats a good little discount! When you say that doesn't include any dyno runs, do you really need them, or is it just to get a number?

As I understand, the BPS that BMW86 is talking about is a specific dyno tuned re-map and therefore needs dyno time?

Also, do you know if the DMS is gauranteed not to throw codes?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #18
lurker
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru

I recently fitted a Vishnu Procede (no other mods and stage 1 map), and my coupe does 0-60MPH on Gtech in 4.58s. First attempt with DSC stil on did 4.91, but DSC kicked in as it drifted a bit sideways going to 2nd and backed of the throttle a bit. 2nd attempt without DSC and a little bit of a drift in 2nd was 4.58. I think it could do better with more attempts but was happy with that result. Alot of wheel spin in first, so just had to feather the throttle. This is 6MT.

-- Lurker
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I recently fitted a Vishnu Procede (no other mods and stage 1 map), and my coupe does 0-60MPH on Gtech in 4.58s. First attempt with DSC stil on did 4.91, but DSC kicked in as it drifted a bit sideways going to 2nd and backed of the throttle a bit. 2nd attempt without DSC and a little bit of a drift in 2nd was 4.58. I think it could do better with more attempts but was happy with that result. Alot of wheel spin in first, so just had to feather the throttle. This is 6MT.

-- Lurker
Nice times Lurker. 4.58 is impressive. Where did you get your vishnu procede done?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #20
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Thanks thats a good little discount! When you say that doesn't include any dyno runs, do you really need them, or is it just to get a number?

As I understand, the BPS that BMW86 is talking about is a specific dyno tuned re-map and therefore needs dyno time?

Also, do you know if the DMS is gauranteed not to throw codes?
Yeh, the dyno runs are really just to get numbers, I have booked my car in for tomorrow afternoon.

They assured me that it is invisible.

However I have invested in my own insurance policy by buying a BT scanning tool - will let you guys know if any codes are thrown - when I eventually get it, still waiting!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #21
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
[QUOTE=BMW86;5430619]
Quote:

At this stage I'm still leaning towards BPS but the main advantage DMS has is that their tune is invisible and they are very reputable worldwide. I think I'll wait to see how the dynos turn out but it sounds very promising. If i go with BPS even though i'll have 250rear wheel kw i'll be giving up my warranty. Are you going to try and get some more 0-100km times soon?
The recent run in with the cops have sorted made me lie low for a while now. I really want to but they are out in force god damn everywhere. Will wait until I get onto the track so I can get better and more accurate numbers.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #22
lurker
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Nice times Lurker. 4.58 is impressive. Where did you get your vishnu procede done?
Fitted it myself... took about an hour. Supplied by Vishnu. A fair bit cheaper than the flash options presented here. Car is running about 13psi. Drives very nicely!!

-- Lurker
Appreciate 0