BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

Billy Boat E9X Exhaust

I'm new to the M3Post so bear with me....I just inquired to B&B regarding an official release of an E92 exhaust and they sent me a press release document confirming the existence of this new product. Still not listed on their site though. Seems like another good option for full bolt on system and much more affordable. See attachment.

I saw someone had a prototype installed earlier in the year but I have not seen any action on the web or this post about B&B and I'm wondering why?

I'd love to hear from anyone else that has this installed and how it might stack up against the AA system.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry, not sure where the attachment went, but they are claiming the following:

-2.5” CNC mandrel bent T304 stainless steel tubing throughout entire system
- Hand fabricated T304 stainless steel mufflers incorporating B&B’s Purge Resonance Technology (PRT) emit a deep robust exhaust note without the unwelcome in cabin resonance
- B&B’s quad 3.5” round double wall tips help enhance the M3’s appearance
- Mufflers and tips are fully polished to a mirror like finish unlike any other system available
- Performance increases of as much as 12HP and 11Ft-Lbs were seen on our in house chassis dyno
- Straightforward installation, no welding required, includes all mounting hardware
- 50 state emissions legal
- Limited LIFETIME WARRANTY
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I've heard the unit at the track and it sounded RELLY good. The owner said there.was no drone while cruising. It sells for $1700 shipped. Alex at 503 motoring can get it for you.
It's a little lighter than stock unit not by much. I had considered it but the Riss deal with free install/scoops was the clincher for me.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm just skeptical because it seems so under-the-radar. I've always heard good things about B&B but the lack of buzz on this board may indicate that there are better choices. Eisenmann seems to be most talked about but I don't want to cut.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Eisen has connecting pipes now.
Just because there's no buzz here doesn't mean it's not a good system. Eisen was just the first out and they did a nice job with their system but the BB system sounded awesome. Aakiles had it and said the quality was very good.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

I considered the BB, but went with Borla.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I spoke to Mike Boat today over the phone and he said the reason why the system is not on their website was that they had a demanding race schedule this summer and hadn't gotten around to it. They currently have a "sale" on all BMW exhausts and the net cost is below $1600.
From the clips I've heard, it sounds great at idle but dissipates at higher revs. I kind of like it. The Eisen with the optional pipes is almost 4k. For me, not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
MarksM
Dishonorable Discharged
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 2012, M4 GTS Sold

BB Exhaust

Have it, Love it, BUY it!
Fit was perfect. Installed it myself. Easy to do.

Had for a couple of months (#2or3). Have BB on my 02 MCoupe also.

Could not be happier. Sound alone is worth the money. Don't worry about HP gains, probably there but at best is only 2-3% gain.
BUY it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draff1 View Post
I spoke to Mike Boat today over the phone and he said the reason why the system is not on their website was that they had a demanding race schedule this summer and hadn't gotten around to it. They currently have a "sale" on all BMW exhausts and the net cost is below $1600.
From the clips I've heard, it sounds great at idle but dissipates at higher revs. I kind of like it. The Eisen with the optional pipes is almost 4k. For me, not worth it.
It sounds kick ass flat out. Like a race car with cats
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #10
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. The only other exhaust I am considering is the Active Autowerke but cost is considerably more. I'm pretty sure quality is similar but AA claims they have a 3" pipe and that is the only way to get true HP gains. Anything with a 2.5" pipe is limited. It seems that all these tuners overstate HP gains and I'll be lucky to gain a couple regardless of the system.
Appreciate 0