BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Cool BMC Air Filter REVIEW & PHOTOS!

It was a last minute decision when I previously set my mind on getting the Macht Schnell air filter. What made me change my mind? Well, I heard that the quality of the BMC was top notch, and the company was highly respected in overseas automotive sports. The name 'Ferrari' rang a bell .

The only thing stopping me and many others from getting the BMC was the fact that the first batch of BMC air filters for the M3 were having fitment problems. But very recently I heard that BMC had released a new batch of their filters.....And this time they were tested to fit correctly. I was still hesitant on making the purchase, but I was assured by the vendor that it was the updated version and that it would fit perfectly. They had even test fitted a few on some customers M3's, and the updated versions fit very well.

Alright, let's cut to the chase! I installed my BMC a few hours ago, and I must say that the procedure is not very hard at all. I'm not even a experienced automotive tech, and I can still say it was pretty easy. The main challenge I ran into was that I had to find the correct tool to unscrew the airbox cover. Unfortunately, I didn't have it handy so I had to go back to my work and find it....And luckily I did.

Once I managed to get the air box cover off, I saw that the stock air filter wasn't too dirty since I've only had my M3 for about 1.5 months. To get the stock air filter off, you just have to unscrew it off all around the edges. Then, gently slide it out from the 'nozzle' that holds it in place. And then you just place the new filter back in place just like the stock one was. My advice is to just make sure it's correctly placed in throughout the edges untill it fits in smoothly. At last, it just comes to screwing the edges of the air box cover back all the way around. Sorry, I'm not a good teacher, but all I can say is to just take your time.

Finally, it was time to drive my M3 to test if I felt any power increase or any 'masculine' noise upgrade . To be honest, I have to agree with many that it is hard to feel a 5 hp increase on a 400 hp vehicle.......BUT I have to admit that I did feel that my M3 revved a little more freely than before. And that slight power increase was felt more clearly on higher rpm's. Also, I could hear that the engine was very slightly louder, not the exhaust note, but the engine only.

Overall, I like the BMC very much and I still have no regrets on spending a little more on this filter compared to the other choices. At the end, I would have to agree that this specific filter is a gem.

Thanks for reading my 'OK' review and here are several pics:

Last edited by Nawaaz; 09-26-2009 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

And installed pics:

Last edited by Nawaaz; 09-26-2009 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

And last one after install is finished:

Last edited by Nawaaz; 09-26-2009 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Love the color of your car
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks man!

What about the filter?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

try doing you mods one by one to see if you can tell the hp increase. did you dyno before you install all your mods so you can see what the real hp gains are?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

^sounds expensive
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Filter looks good. But honestly, what's with the dining room furniture?
      08-23-2009, 06:03 AM   #9
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

I'm sold on the filter but am waiting for Jason@ Renn-Spec to tell me if they have the new design in. I know the filter comes oiled, but wonder if there would be any issues using the K&N charging kit with it?

Is that a young Momar Kadafi on your wall??
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
I'm sold on the filter but am waiting for Jason@ Renn-Spec to tell me if they have the new design in. I know the filter comes oiled, but wonder if there would be any issues using the K&N charging kit with it?

Any of these oiled filters you can use the K&N charging kit. Also, I checked with Rennspec a few days ago about the BMC and yes they have the new filter (that fits flawlessly) in stock

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #11
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiokenM3 View Post
try doing you mods one by one to see if you can tell the hp increase. did you dyno before you install all your mods so you can see what the real hp gains are?
Doing each mod one by one doesn't seem like a bad idea, but I have a good feeling that it'll get frustrating for me during the process. since I have lack of patience.

I haven't gotten my before dyno yet. When I'm ready to get it done, I'll just take my BMC filter out and put the stock one back in before that dyno.

I plan on having the rest of my mods installed all at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
^sounds expensive

and frustrating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
Filter looks good. But honestly, what's with the dining room furniture?
Common' man! Don't bring me down on it since the furniture was all my parents' choice. hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post

-edit- I just saw MrHarris' post (Renn-spec now has it)

and btw, the gentleman on the wall is actually the Imam (Pope) in my family's religion. (not Momar Kadafi )
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #12
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

So having heard that BMC were so inept that their first air filter didn't even fit properly, you still thought that buying one was a good idea?
And that their product would address the various compromises better than the BMW OEM unit?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
So having heard that BMC were so inept that their first air filter didn't even fit properly, you still thought that buying one was a good idea?
And that their product would address the various compromises better than the BMW OEM unit?
Yes. It fits very well, and I do feel that the engine revs more freely. I drove my M3 to work this morning and I can confirm that my M3 felt a little more 'energized'.

And yes, I do feel that my new BMC addresses the compromises of the stock air filter much better. And now there is no compromise with my new air filter. I am very satisfied with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

Looks good man.

I really like the photos of it installed. Gives me an idea of how big it is, and it's pretty big.

I see it looks like that dimple is for something that holds the filter in place, I was wondering what that was.

Looks aweome, look forward to your next mods
      08-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizman7 View Post
Looks good man.

I really like the photos of it installed. Gives me an idea of how big it is, and it's pretty big.

I see it looks like that dimple is for something that holds the filter in place, I was wondering what that was.

Looks awesome, look forward to your next mods
Yup, there's a nozzle right beside the intake system and it points inside that dimple so that the filter is secure in place.

The new filter is very nice. You won't regret it at all. The BMC may not make any additional power compared to the other filters, but the quality is said to be a step above everything else out there.

Hope I helped you out, and I wish you all the best with your final decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Nice writeup! Thanks Nawaaz!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Yes - Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #18
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

how much is a bmc filter?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Yup, there's a nozzle right beside the intake system and it points inside that dimple so that the filter is secure in place.

The new filter is very nice. You won't regret it at all. The BMC may not make any additional power compared to the other filters, but the quality is said to be a step above everything else out there.

Hope I helped you out, and I wish you all the best with your final decision.
So that is what the nozzle is for! I have a Eurospec and I don't have the piece at all. I was just thinking about it. But I has no choice EAS was the only company that I found that could get a Europsec filter. I guess MS is pretty good too. I am getting it in my car today.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Nice write up Nawaaz, I too love my BMC filter. And I much agree with you that my car feels like it revs a little freer than before.

I saw you got it from Fabspeed, I got mine from them too. Joey is great to deal with and I was actually the second person to get the redesign in the US. The first one was a test fit and the second one came to me.

FWIW, the redesign was simply a foam pad that was put into the dimple to hold the nozzle a bit more snug. Fittment of the BMC filter is spot on and its quality is top notch. I had an aFe filter before and didn't even install it.

BMC air filter definitely FTW
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Looks good Nawaaz!!! =) So is it my turn for a ride in your car? haha ... I will be ordering this filter now. Thanks for the write up and if your butt dyno can feel a little bit of a gain, then I guess it is worth the price. After I get some of my mods maybe we can have a dyno day somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #22
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

are the ends plastic or a rubber?
On my APE filter its a rubber and it was annoying to fit it properly
Appreciate 0