BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

New tranny break in?

BMW has decided to replace my tranny due to a 1st to 2nd gear grinding problem and I have a few questions;

1. Do I need to baby the car again? I mean, do I need to drive the car below 5500rpm for another 1200mile/2000km to fully break in the tranny?

2. Do I need to get another run in service for my tranny oil and filter to be changed?

Some guys at the dealer seem to say yes to both and others say no. I want to hear from more experienced guys on this forum.

Thanks for all your answers.

Cheers!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

ive heard the tranny only needs 500 miles for break in...but idk
      08-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Here you go, straight from the manual:

Name:  tranny.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  12.0 KB
      08-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Here you go, straight from the manual:

Attachment 299426
Thanks Metak. I guess thats not too bad. I do about 150miles/250km a week so it looks like it'll only be 2 weeks break in for me.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

what happened to your tranny?
Im having a weird, clunking noise when I go from Reverse to 1st, or 1st to reverse as Im letting off the clutch.
did you have something similiar to this?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
what happened to your tranny?
Im having a weird, clunking noise when I go from Reverse to 1st, or 1st to reverse as Im letting off the clutch.
did you have something similiar to this?
It's a long read, but this is what happened to my tranny.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...2nd+gear+grind

I'm not sure exactly what problem you're having. My car, like others have commented on, seems to be very clunky in those gears as well. BMW is replacing my tranny because I get a grind when trying to go from 1st to 2nd gear quickly. If I slow down my shift then it goes in fine, but if I do it fast I'll get a grind. Sometimes I grind going in, and other times the tranny stops me from going in all together.

I'd get your tranny checked out but I'd recommend removing your SSK before you do or BMW will blame the problem on the SSK. I know my problem isn't due to the SSK because I haven't installed my UUC yet as I've been holding on to it for months, knowing that sooner or later I was going to get my tranny replaced by BMW. The tranny is a $9,000+CAD part, so I doubt they'd let a tranny with a SSK installed go through warranty. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
It's a long read, but this is what happened to my tranny.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...2nd+gear+grind

I'm not sure exactly what problem you're having. My car, like others have commented on, seems to be very clunky in those gears as well. BMW is replacing my tranny because I get a grind when trying to go from 1st to 2nd gear quickly. If I slow down my shift then it goes in fine, but if I do it fast I'll get a grind. Sometimes I grind going in, and other times the tranny stops me from going in all together.

I'd get your tranny checked out but I'd recommend removing your SSK before you do or BMW will blame the problem on the SSK. I know my problem isn't due to the SSK because I haven't installed my UUC yet as I've been holding on to it for months, knowing that sooner or later I was going to get my tranny replaced by BMW. The tranny is a $9,000+CAD part, so I doubt they'd let a tranny with a SSK installed go through warranty. Just my opinion.

Removing my SSK would be a pain in the ass, I rather have the clunky noises then have to deal with that (as it is not horrible at this point in time, if it got worse then i would def remove it and take it in) but to be honest, I don't even think they would even try to blame it, hell, they may not even notice it. Besides, I could always use your experience as an example. What dealer are you dealing with in this case?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Removing my SSK would be a pain in the ass, I rather have the clunky noises then have to deal with that (as it is not horrible at this point in time, if it got worse then i would def remove it and take it in) but to be honest, I don't even think they would even try to blame it, hell, they may not even notice it. Besides, I could always use your experience as an example. What dealer are you dealing with in this case?
Maranello BMW. PM me and I'll give you more details of who to speak to and how my whole case went down.
Appreciate 0