BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
///MSpt550xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 550xi

Exhaust Opinions/Options

I have read through what seems to be at least 100 different threads on what exhausts people like and whatnot, and the more that I read, the more I am confused.

So, I am hear asking to pointed in the right direction. Basically I am looking for an exhaust that is good looking, has a nice deep sound to it, and if I step on it, you will be able to hear it in both inside the car as well as driving by. Also, the more exotic the sound, the better.

Also, I am looking for all of this for under $2000. I have looked at systems by Riss Racing, Agency Power and Remus.

How is the build quality on these? Sound/Note? Any other info?

If you were to buy exhaust, and had these parameters, who would you go with?

I know that everyone has their own opinion, but any little bit of info might help with my decision.

Thanks!
2012 F10 550xi M Sport, Dark Graphite Metallic II, Black Nappa, Aluminum Hexagon Trim, Cold Weather Package, Ceramic Controls, Premium Sound Package, Luxury Seating Package, 30% Tint, Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Agency Power hands down IMHO. Great build quality, aggressive sound, makes good power, very little drone and an attractive price too .
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Riss Racing or Gintani for a deep and/or exotic sound. RPi is a good choice too if you like the sound, which is somewhat deep, somewhat exotic.

Can't comment on the Agency Power, but I consistently hear good things about it overall.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Riss Racing or Gintani for a deep and/or exotic sound. RPi is a good choice too if you like the sound, which is somewhat deep, somewhat exotic.

Can't comment on the Agency Power, but I consistently hear good things about it overall.
I've had Gintani and AP. No contest...the AP sounds awesome but doesn't drone .
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
SCCAForums.com
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race Cars

I give another vote for the Riss Racing Systems (especially if you're going to consider upgrading the front pipe to a HFC X-Pipe), but honestly all you've mentioned are very high quality. The adjustability of the RR setup is a plus.

Peace,
Dave
2008 Lexus IS-F (Sold) 12.5 @ 113 / 2008 Shelby GT500 (Sold) 11.3 @ 126
2008 e90 M3 6MT 12.8 @ 111 (Sold) / 2006 e60 M5 12.4 @ 114 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
BMWS1000RR
Rep
Drives: Saphire Black

Has anyone removed the exhaust resignator or have you heard of anyone else doing this for more sound?

The X6 and the M3 have the parallel bumper mounted muffler, but the right coming in has the resignator in it and the left is the cat as I recall.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

When I was researching all the exhausts options out there, these were my goals:

- Extremely aggressive sound with great volume
- Makes great power
- fits my e90 version
- Very good quality
- Simplicity in the design of the entire piping
- Very aggressive looking from the back of the car

I ended up ordering the full catless exhaust system from Gintani.

Also, many indivduals are concerned with the amount of drone that is present in a system, but that was not one of my main concerns since I would naturally expect at least SOME drone with a very loud system like mine.

I should have my full system delivered and installed within 2-3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

We have had good feedback with both the Remus and Riss Racing systems. The Remus Power Sound is a straight through design so it is very aggressive if you are looking for that. The fit and finish is what you expect from Remus, top notch. Being OE suppliers for Porsche, Brabus, Mercedes and several teams on the DTM race circuit, their quality, fit and finished will be top notch. It's an axel back system so it is well priced for the quality, sound and performance. We stock this exhaust for a reason, it's hard to keep here and very popular.

The Riss is also a good setup if you want a more aggressive sound. A feature I like of the Riss setup is the adjustable tips so you can set how far you want the new tips to stick out from the factory or your aftermarket diffuser. If you want an even more aggressive sound, go with their X-Pipe option.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

I don't have my system yet. Next week.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

haha... any less confused now???

Everyone's just going to suggest you buy the exhaust they bought. Your description of sound fits almost every exhaust available for our car. Price is what you got really narrowing it down to just a few for you. My suggestion is find someone nearby you with one of the suggested ones and ask for a ride in their car.
      09-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:
My suggestion is find someone nearby you with one of the suggested ones and ask for a ride in their car.
You cannot go wrong with that suggestion, and it will probably be the best recommendation you get.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
MAZNG
I found Jesus...He was Hiding behiind my Sofa
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F82

I feel your pain... lol. Just when I had my made up on an Eisenmann Race system, I read about the AP and the price advantage as well as SS tips becoming available are having me lean in the AP direction.

I have yet to find a local with the AP nor quality sound vids.

GL
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
slipstream
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue E90 M3 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
When I was researching all the exhausts options out there, these were my goals:

- Extremely aggressive sound with great volume
- Makes great power
- fits my e90 version
- Very good quality
- Simplicity in the design of the entire piping
- Very aggressive looking from the back of the car

I ended up ordering the full catless exhaust system from Gintani.

Also, many indivduals are concerned with the amount of drone that is present in a system, but that was not one of my main concerns since I would naturally expect at least SOME drone with a very loud system like mine.

I should have my full system delivered and installed within 2-3 weeks.
Nawaaz, your full system will be so loud that you won't notice the drone, if there is any. The Gintani full system, like I've said before, is a monster!

It's about as loud as a Harley with straight pipes, but it won't make your car sound like the motor is falling apart like Harleys do.

Last edited by slipstream; 09-01-2009 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Well from the youtube clips, Gintani sounds bad ass. I orderd an EI X-pipe with HFC & resonators. But still undicided with the exhaust. Either Remus Race or Sport. Maybe the AA but really don't want to spend $800 more for just an exhaust sound. Some have stated that the Remus Race with an X-pipe is crazy loud and neighbors called the cops. May have been driving agressive in the streets, I don't know. Others say it sounds just right for an M3 and not too loud unless your WOT of course. So I'm not sure. anyone have any sound clips of these exhaust I mentioned mated to an X-pipe with HFC? Sure would help.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
Nawaaz, your full system will be so loud that you won't notice the drone, if there is any. The Gintani full system, like I've said before, is a monster!

It's about as loud as a Harley with straight pipes, but it won't make your car sound like the motor is falling apart like Harleys do.
And that is EXACTLY why I went for the full catless exhaust from Gintani.

I can't wait to post up my review and post plenty of vids! I wanna see if it lives up to all the HYPE!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Well from the youtube clips, Gintani sounds bad ass. I orderd an EI X-pipe with HFC & resonators. But still undicided with the exhaust. Either Remus Race or Sport. Maybe the AA but really don't want to spend $800 more for just an exhaust sound. Some have stated that the Remus Race with an X-pipe is crazy loud and neighbors called the cops. May have been driving agressive in the streets, I don't know. Others say it sounds just right for an M3 and not too loud unless your WOT of course. So I'm not sure. anyone have any sound clips of these exhaust I mentioned mated to an X-pipe with HFC? Sure would help.
A local M3 owner was kind enough to let me drive his e92 M3 which had the Remus Race combined with the catless x-pipe from AA.

We were exiting out next to a restaurant, and I revved it.........IT LITERALLY SCARED THE SH#T OUTTA EVERYONE OUTSIDE & EVEN INSIDE THE DAMN RESTAURANT!!!!

Inside while driving, it wasn't nearly as loud as you'd expect. The insulation in a refined car such as the M3 really helped keep the noise level to a minimum. Don't get me wrong, it was loud inside.....But still surprisingly quieter than I expected while cruising.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #17
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Dam! That sound like it'll be to loud. I might have to go with the Remus Race. I wonder how it would sound with the AA exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #18
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MThree View Post
So, I am hear asking to pointed in the right direction. Basically I am looking for an exhaust that is good looking, has a nice deep sound to it, and if I step on it, you will be able to hear it in both inside the car as well as driving by. Also, the more exotic the sound, the better.

If you were to buy exhaust, and had these parameters, who would you go with?
It sounds like you want the Remus sport. If you want loud and more exotic, and don't mind a little drone at cruising, then the Remus race sounds amazing. This is all based on what I've read, watched, listened to online.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #19
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

If you want to play it safe, you're going to have to listen to them yourself. Go to a big city meet and you should be able to hear/see them all. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #20
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
If you want to play it safe, you're going to have to listen to them yourself. Go to a big city meet and you should be able to hear/see them all. Good luck.
+1

Before I made my purchase, I had the opportunity to see a few set-ups, and that was extremely helpful to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #21
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I agree you should really try to listen to these systems and/or break down the differences..

IE: piping diameter, piping design, material, HP results, customer reviews...

If you have any questions regarding the Active Autowerke Signature exhaust system feel free to ask. Here is a picture of the unit...

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #22
GmanM3
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3

Anyone have opinions on these options?

I've been researching a ton on this subject too...and have currently narrowed my sights on the following:

1. Borla

2. UUC / Corsa

Any opinions on either of these systems? I want an aggressive deep tone too but, would like to minimize drone. From the research I've done so far, I'm leaning towards the Borla system because the reported drone is around 2K RPM and I don't ever really plan on driving the car < 2K RPM. The UUC / Corsa system on the other hand have reported minor droning at 70 - 75 mph area and I don't want any droning while cruising on the highway.

The only other system I've considered, primarily due to the warranty and claims of zero drone is Dinan. My biggest fear with this system is that it might not be loud enough (looking for a fine balance between not loud enough and insanely loud)...and cosmetically, I am not a fan of the black ceramic coated tips (minor annoyance but, still a consideration).

I agree with all about hearing the real thing in the flesh...anyone running any of the systems I mentioned or by others in the central CT area?
Appreciate 0