BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

09-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
CanM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB M3

Dinan Midpipe installed

Took the M3 on a 2000Km Mountain drive the other day with the Dinan midpipe...Its a nice addition along with the dinan catback. Definite noticeable power gains, no noise intrusion into the cab with the windows closed....and not really much louder than when I originally put the cat back on when you are just driving normally. When you get on the throttle....it has quite a roar! Also has a very 'stacatto' type sound from 7K rpm and up.

Overall I like it, it is a nice solid piece, sounds great and 'completes' the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Any low RPM torque loss? I assume you have the Dinan tune as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
CanM3
Private
Rep

I havent done any dyno runs, but there is not alot there below 2500 rpm, but thats not much different than stock. 1st gear/2nd gear it has alot of snap and pulls hard.
I already had the Dinan flashed, but they reflashed it to take care of the CEL issues with the cat delete.
Dyno booked for next thursday, should be able to see if the dinan claims are honest or not...Im pretty much a poster boy for them, having the intake, full exhaust, flash, stage 1 suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Really interested when you get on the dyno to see if Dinan address the low RPM "dip" that seems to be an issue on other full exhaust systems (aka Gintani, Akrapovic et al)...given the Dinan midpipe has no cats and only 2 pairs of resonators, it should have very low back pressure like the other full systems that have this issue.

I have the Powerchip flash which does increase low RPM torque significantly - consequently I definitely noticed a low RPM dip once I added the Akrapovic exhaust, but I was aware that others had experienced it so I went looking for it.

If you want to pick this up on the dyno, you'll need to ensure your operator starts the dyno run at 2000RPM, not say 3000RPM where some operators start from...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I too will be looking forward to your dyno. Maybe post some sound clips?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Subscribed.4dyno
      09-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
jans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanM3 View Post
I havent done any dyno runs, but there is not alot there below 2500 rpm, but thats not much different than stock. 1st gear/2nd gear it has alot of snap and pulls hard.
I already had the Dinan flashed, but they reflashed it to take care of the CEL issues with the cat delete.
Dyno booked for next thursday, should be able to see if the dinan claims are honest or not...Im pretty much a poster boy for them, having the intake, full exhaust, flash, stage 1 suspension.
Did you have to pay for the reflash?

janssen
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Took the M3 on a 2000Km Mountain drive the other day with the Dinan midpipe...Its a nice addition along with the dinan catback. Definite noticeable power gains, no noise intrusion into the cab with the windows closed....and not really much louder than when I originally put the cat back on when you are just driving normally. When you get on the throttle....it has quite a roar! Also has a very 'stacatto' type sound from 7K rpm and up.

Overall I like it, it is a nice solid piece, sounds great and 'completes' the exhaust
staccato = characterized by performance in which the notes are abruptly disconnected...

Sorry, I had to look that word up since it was a 'toughy'. Is this what it means?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
I'm getting ready to do the full Dinan mods setup as well, and I was wondering is you are happy with the drop on the Stage 1 suspension? I've heard mixed stories, but I want the drop to be noticable.

PS: I will one of the first to get their new pulley. Wish me luck.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post

info on pulley plz
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Sweet!

I am also scheduled for the DINAN mid pipes this coming week. I hope that the sound is noticeable.

Please provide sound clips if possible.

... subscribed!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
I'm getting ready to do the full Dinan mods setup as well, and I was wondering is you are happy with the drop on the Stage 1 suspension? I've heard mixed stories, but I want the drop to be noticable.

Not trying to take this too off topic, but read here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=1#post5861561

Like lucid said in that thread: Eibach's, BMW bump-stops and some sanding/grinding should get you pretty damn close for a LOT less money.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #13
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
info on pulley plz
Dinan is supposed to be releasing a 16% underdriven pulley kit later this month or early October. That's about all anyone knows at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Not trying to take this too off topic, but read here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=1#post5861561

Like lucid said in that thread: Eibach's, BMW bump-stops and some sanding/grinding should get you pretty damn close for a LOT less money.
To be fair, I believe lucid also pointed out that the Dinan springs would have different lengths and stiffness than the Eibachs. That difference is potentially significant, especially in terms of the interaction between the bump stops and the springs.
      09-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
CanM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Sweet!

I am also scheduled for the DINAN mid pipes this coming week. I hope that the sound is noticeable.

Please provide sound clips if possible.

... subscribed!
yeah, the sound is noticeable
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
CanM3
Private
Rep

Quote:

I am very happy with the spring setup, just the right amount of drop for me, any lower and the lower air dam would scrape on everything! It is noticeable, but not the 'slammed' look. Everyone who has seen it has asked me if I dropped it..therefore...noticeable.
The handling of the car has improved quite a bit as well, I was tossing it around pretty good last weekend in the mountains (with frost heaves in the road) and it handled great!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Hows the smell with no cats?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #17
CanM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
Hows the smell with no cats?
it is a little bit 'exhausty' occasionally, if you are on it hard and then have to stop at a light, you get a waft or two in the cab...but other than that, fairly unnoticeable......a little bit on a cold start as well....

They must map this thing pretty rich..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:

I've added the camber plates so I'm at "Stage II" and entirely satisfied with the Dinan kit. I'm more about performance, but the drop is "noticeable".

If for some reason you go another route than Dinan, then my second choice would be Eibach. I used Eibach on my 5.0 Mustang with fantastic results and there've been a few people here saying that the H&R ride was too harsh and upset the car.

The Dinan kit WILL improve you handling. If you have DCT, the kit is perfectly integrated.

Dave
      09-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #19
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Thanks guys. Just ordered my 20" RS-D's. The car will be here in 3 weeks.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #20
rdwest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Silverstone E92 M3

Quote:
Noticed your in Calgary. Are you going to the driving course they have next week?
      09-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #21
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Since Dinan is using a 16% underdrive pulley, what are all the other aftermarket tuning companies using?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #22
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Since Dinan is using a 16% underdrive pulley, what are all the other aftermarket tuning companies using?
Most of the aftermarket tuners, are offereing underdrive pulley setups that are ~15% on the E9x M3.