BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

10-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Help on the 1/4 mile please

i am gonna be attending a 1/4 mile event next week and i have never done one bf. they will have time sheets if you want you just have to ask. i have done a couple dead stop runs bf but never a real 1/4 mile run on a strip

i would like to get a litttle practice in bf the event, i found a nice road away from traffic and people to do a couple runs on to practice

can some of the guys who do this all the time give me a little advice. couple questions

1. what is the best settings on the car to have on. DSC on or off?? or MDM mode on?? i assume firmest susp settings on and also power button. my current m settings is firmest susp setting and full power but with dsc on. i did try one run with that on and was ok then one with dsc off and didn't feel much difference.

2. what is the best rpm to drop the clutch at or let it out at. i assume you guys just drop the clutch not let it out slowly. is 3k rpm ok or higher??

i have the stock PS2's on the car and the rears are almost done so i figured this would be a good day since i need new ones soon and i have never done it bf and always wanted to. we will get as many runs as we want and there will only be 40 cars there max so if i mess up i get other chances.

i don't want to fry my clutch or hurt the car but i figure it can handle a few runs right??

i just got some mods done so i would like to see what it can do. i know since i have the 6sp manual i am gonna get smoked by the guys there with DCT's but i don't care. plus i just got the car not to long ago so i am still getting used to the car and clutch etc

thanks in advance

H
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

bump nobody does 1/4 mile runs?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
SCCAForums.com
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i am gonna be attending a 1/4 mile event next week and i have never done one bf. they will have time sheets if you want you just have to ask. i have done a couple dead stop runs bf but never a real 1/4 mile run on a strip

i would like to get a litttle practice in bf the event, i found a nice road away from traffic and people to do a couple runs on to practice

can some of the guys who do this all the time give me a little advice. couple questions

1. what is the best settings on the car to have on. DSC on or off?? or MDM mode on?? i assume firmest susp settings on and also power button. my current m settings is firmest susp setting and full power but with dsc on. i did try one run with that on and was ok then one with dsc off and didn't feel much difference.

If you are a good driver (I don't know your experience) car will be quicker with DSC completely off. If you're a novice... run in MDM mode, which should still allow for wheel spin in a straight line.

Firm Setting is best, some like 'soft' for the launch... but after that it's just wasting energy.

2. what is the best rpm to drop the clutch at or let it out at. i assume you guys just drop the clutch not let it out slowly. is 3k rpm ok or higher??

this is going to take time, and experience, it's a combination of RPM & Clutch Slippage. You can launch hard at 2,000 RPM's... to 4,000 RPM's... it all depends in how you release the clutch. 2,500 is a safe start... up the rpms from there... or lower...based on wheel spin.

i have the stock PS2's on the car and the rears are almost done so i figured this would be a good day since i need new ones soon and i have never done it bf and always wanted to. we will get as many runs as we want and there will only be 40 cars there max so if i mess up i get other chances./b]

PS2's, even dead ones will hook up pretty good if you heat them up... just do a good burnout before you stage your car.

i don't want to fry my clutch or hurt the car but i figure it can handle a few runs right??

Yes... just make sure you 'spin the tires' on your launch... that is 'easiest' on the clutch and drivetrain. If you 'slip' the clutch... (no wheelspin... and agressive Rpm... it can be tough on the clutch.

i just got some mods done so i would like to see what it can do. i know since i have the 6sp manual i am gonna get smoked by the guys there with DCT's but i don't care. plus i just got the car not to long ago so i am still getting used to the car and clutch etc

thanks in advance

H
Good Luck have fun! Let us know how it goes!
Dave
2008 Lexus IS-F (Sold) 12.5 @ 113 / 2008 Shelby GT500 (Sold) 11.3 @ 126
2008 e90 M3 6MT 12.8 @ 111 (Sold) / 2006 e60 M5 12.4 @ 114 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thanks alot for the info!!! hope we get good weather
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
CT-Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan

Englishtown?

Were you there yesterday by chance? I don't think I saw your car. It was a very cool event. A few M3's were there.. the best time I saw for an E92 was 13.2.. 110mph. Not sure of the mods. Some sick corvettes and mustangs for sure. Our cars belong on the track with twisties not the 1/4 mile.. just my first impression. If you weren't there... hope your event goes well! The common problem I saw with all car and stock tires was too much wheel spin to start. Take off nice and light...!

Mods: Gintani CB | Dinan Intake | Evo Pulley | HRE P40's | Eibach Springs | MS spacers | Matte grills | GP Thunder 7500 | Venture Clear bra
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

13.2 so wrong...... what were thay doing??
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

I was in Englishtown for the private event on the 30th October and I ran a 12.2 on street tires, 19"...

so I don't know how you got the 13.2 time - maybe you left early. I came in around noon
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
I was in Englishtown for the private event on the 30th October and I ran a 12.2 on street tires, 19"...

so I don't know how you got the 13.2 time - maybe you left early. I came in around noon
Thats a real a good time, What was ur trap speed?