BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

11-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
gogoevo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997.2 TTS

SA blowing smoke.......

Greetings,

I recently had my car (09 E92 DCT) in for routine maintenance and was told I was behind two versions of the ECU/DME software. I was also told that if I opted for the upgrades it might mess with the DME resulting in HP loss??

I did a quick search via Google, and this site, and couldn't find anything specific. I have no idea what version I'm at now, or what version(s) they claim I need. It sould be noted that I have the full RPi exhaust installed along with Macht Schnell air filter.

Is there any creditability to these claims?

Thanks for any advice
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoevo View Post
Greetings,

I recently had my car (09 E92 DCT) in for routine maintenance and was told I was behind two versions of the ECU/DME software. I was also told that if I opted for the upgrades it might mess with the DME resulting in HP loss??

I did a quick search via Google, and this site, and couldn't find anything specific. I have no idea what version I'm at now, or what version(s) they claim I need. It sould be noted that I have the full RPi exhaust installed along with Macht Schnell air filter.

Thanks for any advice
Reprogramming the DCT for shift response has no bearing on the HP level of the car. They might have to reset the "adaptations" of the vehicle so it might "feel different," but it will not change the power output.

If that would have been the case, all the DCT owners would have been screaming bloody murder by now.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Greetings,

Thanks for any advice
Correct, you will lose 50 crank hp as a result of the upgrade...
      11-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Greetings,

Thanks for any advice
what is sad but true, is nothing a SA or CA tell you has any credibility
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

He's talking about the ECU/DME software folks, which controls the engine as well.

OP, good question, but you should ask them why they told you that. Unless the new software retards timing, it shouldn't affect engine power, but you never know. I used to have an Acura that was noticeably 'detuned' after new software due to some cars having chronic pinging. They didn't tell me that initially, and when I told them my car felt lethargic and wanted it the way it was before, they said couldn't do that . So yes, it's possible, but unlikely without somebody here having raised big time hell already . Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
what is sad but true, is nothing a SA or CA tell you has any credibility

Yes, don't trust me, I have no clue what I'm talking about....
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post

Yes, all the people that work at dealerships are stupid.
not stupid, but the things they say have no credibility
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
not stupid, but the things they say have no credibility
So, since I've been working for BMW and MINI Service for 3.5+ years, I have no credibility?

I'm confused all of a sudden.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
So, since I've been working for BMW and MINI Service for 3.5+ years, I have no credibility?

I'm confused all of a sudden.
you, my friend, might be the exception

look around you, and tell me the percentage of people that you think know their stuff... you might know ur shit, but if you are to take your car in would you accept what you're told as facts? or do you question everything that you're told?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
you, my friend, might be the exception

look around you, and tell me the percentage of people that you think know their stuff... you might know ur shit, but if you are to take your car in would you accept what you're told as facts? or do you question everything that you're told?
I look at some of the stories on here from you guys/gals and wonder wether some of these Service guys are even qualified to write the alphabet....

I'm lucky for having this hunger for knowledge in relation to cars outside of my job also... guess this makes me better at my job than the rest of the "regular," writers.

p.s. I was just razzing you for the sweeping generalization.
Appreciate 0