BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-05-2009, 04:52 AM   #1
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Allow me introduce myself

I’ve been providing unbiased opinions that both professionals and enthusiast detailer’s use and trust on various detailing forums for about ten years. As a semi-retired Chemical Engineer (35 year career) I would like to help detailers reach an intelligent and logical understanding of the many chemicals used in detailing. It is my intent to educate, based on five plus decades of experience; passing on to my readers the dynamics that take place; the cause and effect not just “ How” it works, but also “Why” it works, as well as an explanation of the scientific terminology and chemicals involved with detailing products.

Improperly used chemicals can cause damage to the person using them and to surface they are applied to (sometimes irreparably) because the detailer was not educated regarding the chemical make-up of the products they used.

If you haven't seen TOGWT posts on other detailing forums here is a quick rundown of who I am:

The old grey whistle test (TOGWT) - I detailed my first car when I was fourteen (a mere five plus decades ago) it was a 1929 Bentley that belong to my Fathers friend Brigadier John Dix of Kensington, London. If, as they say, "God is in the details," then a 1929 Bentley is truly a religious experience. I knew then that detailing would become a passion and my métier.
It has always been a relaxing past time for me and while at college I had a part-time business detailing classic vintage cars. From there to Concours d’élégance entrant then judge, and then on to writing car care articles and How-to: instructions, then writing a series of books on my favorite subject.

It is my intent to educate, based on five plus decades of experience; passing on to my readers the dynamics that take place; the cause and effect, as well as an explanation of the scientific terminology and chemicals involved with detailing products. I try to write in a way that helps the reader to understand not only "How" to do something, but "Why" they are doing it, along with the technical, scientific facts along with any relevant chemical information (profession - Chemical Engineer) but if you’ve read any of my forum posts / threads you'll already understand just what I mean

Recommended Products -in the interest of full disclosure, I am in no way affiliated with, employed by, have any vested interest, or in any way receive compensation from the sale or distribution of the product lines reviewed or the company that manufactures or markets it. I have tested and / or used the product s, so the recommendation comes from firsthand knowledge of their use and / or its application methodologies. Any product endorsement is entirely unbiased and means that the product “Does what it says on the tin”

Author of 110 in-depth, unbiased “Technical Detailing Papers” and a 560 page "Automotive Detailing, Inside & Out" a knowledge base for the perfectionist TOGWT ™ Ltd copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
dubdemand
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Individual

Look forward to reading your future posts! Your info sounds as though it will be very useful in helping me to keep my new 1er in pristine shape
      12-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep

If anyone has questions, ask away

Knowledge is everything; so be ready to learn from those who’ve already got the information you need, it is this type of information that makes you both professional and knowledgeable in your field. Don't ever stop learning.

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Jon, I've read your posts on Autopia and Detailing Bliss. Glad you're swinging by.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Glad to have you on this forum as well TOGWT. Looking forward to more posts!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

I've got a question.

I'm new to all this fancy car wash stuff. I imagined having a good time washing the car with my little boy (7) and soaking him at the same time -making this a weekend/month memory item. But the more I read on this detailing subject, the more serious it becomes with possible paint damage and dangerous chemicals and such.

Are those good ole days gone?

Anyways, I'm thinking of using TurtleWax ICE Liquid Claybar followed with the ICE wax, particularly because even a dummy like me understood the simple directions for the liquid Claybar (as I've never clayed). Is using those products going to make me a real dummy by harming my clearcoat/paint?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Detailing 101, The Basics - http://************/nhksvk
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

I'm a huge fan of Zaino products. Results are amazing. the question is are they safe to the user's health. is there any kind of protection that we got to be aware of when using these or similar products?
      12-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rori zahr View Post
I'm a huge fan of Zaino products. Results are amazing. the question is are they safe to the user's health. is there any kind of protection that we got to be aware of when using these or similar products?
Follow up question re: Zaino. While I also agree that the products are great, what is the whole point of Z2, Z5 etc being "activated" with 2 drops of the ZFX? Is this all marketing hype? Why are they the only company (that I know of) that requires this?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

My car will be in need of a very good detailing come spring (It stays active during the winter). I got ripped off last spring by a dealer and am considering doing the work myself. Any recommendations?

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:03 AM   #11
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rori zahr View Post
Polymer sealants and waxes pose very little health risks from use.

However polish and compounds are another story-

Material data sheets (MSDS)

Read the manufacturers application instructions and then obtain and read the MSDS sheet to ascertain the chemicals used. Although it should be said that an MSDS is a document that contains details of the hazards associated with a particular chemical and provides information regarding its safe use. The MSDS is required to state the chemical's risks, safety and impact on the environment.

Environmental Commitment- always responsibly dispose of all non-biodegradable materials from your vehicle cleaning in a responsible manner

Protection from Potential Health Hazards
1. Eye Protection: I would strongly advise the wearing of safety glasses or visor when operating any machine polisher.
2. Other Protective Equipment: The constant pitch of a polishing machine could affect your hearing so wearing ear plugs would be wise to protect you from hearing loss.
3. Respiratory Protection: Materials such as aluminium oxide (Aluminium oxide is on EPA's TRI list if it is a fibrous form) or silicon carbide (Nuisance particulate-Accumulation in lungs) used in polishes and compounds, and powdered fillers (Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis). They represent a hazard to your lungs and may cause respiratory distress. Use a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with a combination filter cartridge should be worn while using them
4. Protective Gloves: With the verity of chemicals a detailer uses on a daily basis wearing Nitrile rubber cloves will protect your hands
5. Material Safety Data Sheets: Use a ring binder or other filing system to ensure the appropriate MSDS is always available to identify hazardous substances
6. Work Hygienic Practices: Rinse cloves under running water before removing them

Let me know if I can be of further assistance
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #12
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Follow up question re: Zaino. While I also agree that the products are great, what is the whole point of Z2, Z5 etc being "activated" with 2 drops of the ZFX? Is this all marketing hype? Why are they the only company (that I know of) that requires this?
Polymer Bonding Additives

Professional painters add chemicals and compounds to their paint mix prior to painting to promote cross-linking, improve paint flexibility, reduce paint imperfections, increase hardness, and improve gloss. The same line of thinking has been used in the development of polymer bonding additives

Duragloss 601 Polish Bonding Agent is specifically formulated to significantly extend the life of synthetic polish/sealants this bonding agent works in a similar way to an Epoxy with part A and part B, and will chemically bond when it comes into contact with /synthetic polishes

Zaino ZFX™, with Flash Cure™ is a cross-linking enhancement additive. All sealant systems must "cure" before they can effectively protect your paint. Once cured, all paint protection systems begin to deteriorate. The rate of deterioration depends on many factors, including the chemicals used, bonding qualities, weather, washing, and use of the car.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #13
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
My car will be in need of a very good detailing come spring (It stays active during the winter). I got ripped off last spring by a dealer and am considering doing the work myself. Any recommendations?
Check out my Technical Detailing Papers on http://************/nc89vq lots of good unbiased information to help you as you begin detailing.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 04:37 AM   #14
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

Thanks a lot Mr. TOGWT
      12-09-2009, 03:24 AM   #15
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep

You are all very welcome...Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Appreciate 0