BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Question mods, warranty and dealer.....

Please excuse me if I sound like a newbie..... I would like some general feedback from those who have modded their cars and how the service people at the dealer react, any tips, or horror stories welcome too. I had a P 987 S with H&R springs, exhaust and intake with no issues at all. I'm considering mods to my M including springs, exhaust, possibly short shifter, pulley and chip. Are these considered bolt-on with no effect on warranty? (aside from chip). Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Here is my experience. I had an E46 M3 with K&N intake, headers, and full exhaust with no cats. My car started up real rough one cold morning, and I could barely drive it. I took it to the dealer. They called me and said the MAF sensor had failed and they replaced it the car was ready to be picked up. They never mentioned my mods and the MAF is located inside the K&N intake. I now have my E92 M3 with similar mods, and I have brought it in twice and no mention of my mods. As long as the part failing can be justified and BMW will reimburse them they will replace or fix it. Dealers aren't out to get their customers. If that was the case they would have none. There are horror stories out there though so results will vary.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
It really depends on the stealer....my stealer told me that if I put on lowering springs he would void the warranty on the entire suspension...

This conversation occurred because I was asking about labor charges for spring installation as there are not a lot of European independent shops around...

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi

My Sales Person told me that, the dealer must proved that the mod indeed caused the damage or failure to void it. Also Dinan parts are designed specifically for BMW's might want to check them out:-) but it all depends on which dealer you go to.
      12-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

That whole, "the part has to be the direct cause of the failure" line is from the federal warranty law. Frankly, it's a joke. The truth is that, except for an air filter element or an axle-back exhaust, any mod will void your warranty. Different springs? Suspension warranty is gone. Tune? Powertrain warranty is gone. On and on. I'm sure there is someone who will say (as those above have said), "It depends on your dealership - they didn't say 'boo' to me about it." That's because the repair they asked for was pretty standard and "cheap". The second a large problem creeps up and BMW NA gets involved, it's over. They WILL notice the mods, and they WILL deny the coverage. I've gotten into may discussions with those who say, "But the company will have to PROVE the mod caused the failure." No, they don't. All they have to do is SAY it caused the failure. Now, you have to go and hire experts, sue the company, and win a judgment in order to get your car repaired. Are you really going to go through all that? No, you aren't. Plus, since the company has hundreds of engineers and experts, the chances of your winning a case is next to zero.

It doesn't matter if it's Dinan or anyone else - a non-BMW part voids the BMW warranty. If Dinan wants to "warranty" the repair, that's a different issue. BMW isn't involved in it.

Bottom line - if you mod, the warranty is gone. Accept it. Don't be a douche and try to restore the car to stock in order to get around the fact that you CHOSE to mod the car and don't want to accept the consequences. There's a word for that - fraud.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0