BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Recommendation for detailing

So the year is ending and our race season is over. Our car is DIRTY. We have sticker residue among other things stuck on the car. I'd like to do a full detail on it and make it look great again. I honestly never cared much about detailing so this is an area I lack expertise in. What do you guys recommend as far as brands and products I should use? I want it to shine better than it was when it was brand new hehe.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

How to detail a vehicle may take more than just a post to answer. I'm sure if you search this forum you can find a methodology

To remove the residue from stickers use a safe solvent 3M Adhesive Remover
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

For the sticker residue you can use the 3M Adhesive Remover or the Stoner Tarminator.

As TOGWT mentioned there is a lot we could go over to help make the car look better than new. In short a full detail to me involves a wash, dry, clay bar, polish, sealant, wax (optional). Washing and drying is where most swirls come from so invest in some quality products and use good technique (see our Detailing Guide).

For a complete kit try our DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package. It has quality products for each step so you get great results in less time.

A clay bar thoroughly cleans the surface and removes a lot of those stubborn build ups. This step makes the next steps more effective! Clay bars are very safe and easy to use don't be nervous. For a great value try theDI Packages DI Clay Bar and Clay Lube Combo.

To help restore the paint I would highly recommend this kit - DI Packages Flex XC 3401 VRG, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads. It includes a very powerful yet very safe and easy to use buffer, pad and polishes. It will help remove swirls, oxidation, etc. so the paint looks more optically clear and you get that really deep shine back.

Follow that up with a sealant like the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. It has extremely durable protection and looks outstanding. This can be applied by hand or you can get a blue pad and apply it with the Flex.

A natural carnauba wax generally will not last nearly as long as a sealant but the gloss is usually eye catching. The picture you have has a white car so I'll suggest waxes I generally use on white paint. The Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax is specifically designed for light colors like white to add a lot more gloss. If you want a less expensive option try the Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax. A wax should be applied by hand and you would need a hand applicator.

The only other product you really need is quality microfiber towel to hand remove all the excess clay lube, polish, sealant, wax, etc. I would suggest at least 12x of our DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. It is paint safe and highly effective at collecting the particles left behind.

Upon completion the paint should look stunning. The paint will have a deep cleaning, smoother feel with a very deep and glossy appearance. If you have any questions about these products or process let me know. I can also help tailor a recommendation to your exact needs so let me know if you want to adjust any part of this process.

Thanks for posting and I look forward to helping you with your detail.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0