BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

Having a hard time choosing pads for my Flex

There are so many choices of pads, im getting frustrated on which to choose. At the moment, I only need to remove the lightest of swirl marks. no major correction is needed. Not yet at least, lol.

So im basically looking for a pad to:

1)apply a fine polish
2)apply a more aggressive polish if im not happy with the first and lightest application
3)apply a finishing/jeweling polish
4)apply sealant

Heres my dilemma. My flex came with 2 blue LC 6.5 pads. My first problem is whether to buy 5.5 or 6.5 pads. I have never used an electric buffer before, so I dont know which will serve me better.

Then there are the actual pads. Im thinking of sticking with LC pads the whole way through

Seems like ill need white pads for applying the polish,
possibly an orange pad for more aggressive applications.

Gold pad for final polish - nano polish?

Red pad for sealant application.

Now there are also Hydro-Tech pads. Im sooooo confused. Can someone shed some light on this for me

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Well you should maybe get the Uber orange pad for the medium polish like menzerna SIP and then use the blue pad for the finishing polish like the menzerna 106 Super finish and the black or red pad for the final sealant or apply by hand which may be better to do. I think Phil@detailersdomain and a lot of other pros do the final sealant or carnuba wax by hand anyway. I have a Flex as well and those pads seem to work very good on my Black 135 in getting out the swirls and old buffing marks from the dealers hack job artists. The Lake County pads from Glistening Performance detailing are good for the areas on the bumper since they are tappered and can get into tight areas better like around the headlight washers.
      01-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
There are so many choices of pads, im getting frustrated on which to choose. At the moment, I only need to remove the lightest of swirl marks. no major correction is needed. Not yet at least, lol.

So im basically looking for a pad to:

1)apply a fine polish
2)apply a more aggressive polish if im not happy with the first and lightest application
3)apply a finishing/jeweling polish
4)apply sealant

Heres my dilemma. My flex came with 2 blue LC 6.5 pads. My first problem is whether to buy 5.5 or 6.5 pads. I have never used an electric buffer before, so I dont know which will serve me better.

Then there are the actual pads. Im thinking of sticking with LC pads the whole way through

Seems like ill need white pads for applying the polish,
possibly an orange pad for more aggressive applications.

Gold pad for final polish - nano polish?

Red pad for sealant application.

Now there are also Hydro-Tech pads. Im sooooo confused. Can someone shed some light on this for me
No problem we are here to help. Keep those blue pads and you can apply a liquid wax or sealant with them. The blue pads are extremely soft and perfect for the task. I know these are 6.5" but you'll be absolutely fine with these.

With an orbital buffer you get a little more polishing power from the pad when it's smaller. For the Flex I do recommend the 5.5" pads to maximize your results while polishing.

The new hydro pads are great and I highly recommend them when you polish. You should get more cutting power with a more optically clear finish, so it's a win win product.

For a medium cutting polish like Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 or Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 I use the Lake Country Hydro Tech Cyan Light Cutting and Polishing Pad.

For the light cutting polishes like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 or the Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish) I would use the Lake Country Hydro Tech Tangerine Ultra Fine Polishing Pad.

For a finishing polish like Menzerna PO85RD Polish the blue or the black pads will work great. They are both really soft.

Again for a sealant or liquid wax I recommend the Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad.

I assure this combination of pads will give you outstanding results! A lot of people have re-branded Lake Country products but everything I outlined above should help you get great results. As always we offer 10% off as well with our coupon code 10offBMW1. Let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all of your help. What about a pad prep-spray? Do you use this?

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
For a medium cutting polish like Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 or Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 I use the Lake Country Hydro Tech Cyan Light Cutting and Polishing Pad.

For the light cutting polishes like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 or the Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish) I would use the Lake Country Hydro Tech Tangerine Ultra Fine Polishing Pad.

For a finishing polish like Menzerna PO85RD Polish the blue or the black pads will work great. They are both really soft.

Greg @ DI
Can I just go straight to the finishing polish, or will I need to start with the P0106FA?

I know its impossible for you to know what my paint looks like, but the paint has the smallest amount of tiny spider swirls. Nothing big at all.

even on a small job, does it have to be a 2 step? P0106FA then P085RD

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
justphil135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i vert alpine white

do a 09 car really need a polish??just a question.i have a 08 and i wash and wax it by hand every 6 weeks.i don't drive much and it is kept in a garage when parked.the car looks new and i really don't think it needs anyting else.keeping the rims clean is a bitch but polishing a new car???
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
Can I just go straight to the finishing polish, or will I need to start with the P0106FA?

I know its impossible for you to know what my paint looks like, but the paint has the smallest amount of tiny spider swirls. Nothing big at all.

even on a small job, does it have to be a 2 step? P0106FA then P085RD
Even if your paint only has very few imperfections the depth of each one will vary. Some will be ultra fine and some will definitely need the medium cutting polish. I would almost guarantee that someone will even be too deep for the medium polish, despite the fact you don't have too many. If you are only going to do a two step process I highly recommend using the medium and light polish combo. I think you would get far better results with the PO83 and PO106FA combo. If you only want to do one step I would suggest the PO106FA. I can't really emphasize just how light the PO85RD is. I only use this after a larger detail with serious correction, because it helps you get that extra 1% - 2%optical clarity. It is also more common with rotary buffer users who are more prone to creating a hazy surface while polishing.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justphil135 View Post
do a 09 car really need a polish??just a question.i have a 08 and i wash and wax it by hand every 6 weeks.i don't drive much and it is kept in a garage when parked.the car looks new and i really don't think it needs anyting else.keeping the rims clean is a bitch but polishing a new car???
You never absolutely have to polish, however I use a polish even on brand new cars. Every car, even the best high end new cars, have some swirls already in the paint. If you look at the paint in the right lighting you'll see them. Even a well cared for vehicle has plenty of swirls. by removing surface imperfections like swirls, oxidation, etc. you create more optically clear surface. This allows sunlight to pass through the clear coat and hit the paint and reflect back a deep and glossy shine! A sealant and wax will only enhance the way the paint already looks while a polish actually corrects the surface. Similar to what I recommended to Anton in the posts above I would at least use a light polish like the Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish) and possibly use a medium one in there as well. Use this after washing and clay bar (if used) and follow it up with your wax or sealant. The polish will definitely help the paint look more reflective and shinny! Use the polish at least 1 - 2 times per year and you'll be impressed with how much it helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0