ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Delayed acceleration-hesitation in Z4M roadster

Has anyone noticed a delayed reaction from the time you floor your car and to the time it responds at speed? Say I downshift to second and nail it, sometimes there is a small noticible delay before the engine kicks in. Could this be DSC kicking in? Not at a speed where tire spin would be an issue I don't think. I don't notice the DSC light when this happens. Its not noticeable from a dead stop just say when i'm already at speed and nailing the throttle after I downshift.Thought this could be just because of the throttle by wire setup in our cars. Or maybe I have a bad tune on my chip. Just throwing this out there(slow day at work).
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings

Last edited by mousitch; 02-04-2010 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: title
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Shorestyle031
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M roadster

They make a sprint booster that amplifies the signal so it eliminates that delay, but idk if they make it for the z4 m.
      02-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Only time I have heard of acceleration issues on a Zed M is with the RPI scoop and no tune.

If you are downshifting and nailing the accelerator... you don't think your tires would spin? Are you talking 6th-5th or something? Maybe your foot is on the clutch?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Only time I have heard of acceleration issues on a Zed M is with the RPI scoop and no tune.

If you are downshifting and nailing the accelerator... you don't think your tires would spin? Are you talking 6th-5th or something? Maybe your foot is on the clutch?
I need to try with dsc off first(weather now sucks). Say I ride the rpm up in second to 4000 hold it for a second or two and nail it, there will be a delay before the car kicks in and hits 7800 for a shift to third. No dsc light, just no throttle response for like a 1/2 second maybe less. I guess it could be just delaying itself to stop any wheelspin.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorestyle031 View Post
They make a sprint booster that amplifies the signal so it eliminates that delay, but idk if they make it for the z4 m.
Biggest scam and piece of garbage ever.

Your money is better spent elsewhere. For example... a mod that actually ADDS horsepower instead of makes you think you have more horsepower.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorestyle031 View Post
I believe that is what the sport button does. And yes it's on when I'm having the delay
Also I have removed the carbon filter. Might put it back and see if that's the problem. Don't see how it could be though.
Called Powerchip and they have claimed not to have heard of his problem but would reflash my DME with an more agressive program for $190. Don't know, already have given them over $800 of my hard earned cash. Not that I wouldnt do it again (I would' though just use ESS's for a change)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

Have never had that issue or that of the OP. The only thing I've heard from removing the charcoal filter is some idle problems, taking it out doesn't give much.
      02-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
Luminor
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

The charcoal filter is very likely not the problem and you can't rule out the PowerChip tune, that very well may have something to do with it, but...

I will say that I had a similar issue with my 2006 Z4MC prior to any mods the car. It turned out to be an issue with the Vanos. That may be something you want to look into as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor View Post
The charcoal filter is very likely not the problem and you can't rule out the PowerChip tune, that very well may have something to do with it, but...

I will say that I had a similar issue with my 2006 Z4MC prior to any mods the car. It turned out to be an issue with the Vanos. That may be something you want to look into as well.

Do you know the specifics of your VANOS problem? Were you throwing codes? I'm taking it in to the dealer and want to be armed with something. I'm afraid this is a problem that could get worse and it's so easy for the dealer to discount or replicate as "nothing". Then in two months when warranty is out, the VANOS unit decides to go south. Bad very bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd put the charcoal filter back in before your trip to the dealership.
      02-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Yes. They would love seeing that.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Could you be experiencing the lag of the stock CDV that causes clutch engagement at constant rate? If you shift and nail the throttle very fast, the clutch engagement may take a split second longer ...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Could you be experiencing the lag of the stock CDV that causes clutch engagement at constant rate? If you shift and nail the throttle very fast, the clutch engagement may take a split second longer ...
CDV deleted. It could just be the DSC. Gonna go out today and run some tests in a remote area
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #14
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Keep us updated as i also notice something similar.
      02-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
Keep us updated as i also notice something similar.
Had it out last night but could not replicate. I have some good straightaways on the way to the gym and Ill try again. Both with DSC on and off and the sport mode on and off.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

Have you tried resetting the throttle adaptation?

Might be worth a try,
I see you have software, I used to have an occasional feeling in my M very intermittent where some days it would feel low on power and unresponsive,
Then the next time I drove it the feeling was back to normal at full power,
I got the ESS tune and never had that since, but before I got the car tuned I did reset the throttle that a board member (epbrown) mentioned and it actually made the car better and more responsive

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #17
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Quote:
I would start my grill with the worthless charcoal filter. Then with the fat chick on the passenger seat!!

My wife wishes I had a charcoal filter in my pants right now. She is not happy with the smell of my ass...

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #18
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Have you tried resetting the throttle adaptation?

Might be worth a try,
I see you have software, I used to have an occasional feeling in my M very intermittent where some days it would feel low on power and unresponsive,
Then the next time I drove it the feeling was back to normal at full power,
I got the ESS tune and never had that since, but before I got the car tuned I did reset the throttle that a board member (epbrown) mentioned and it actually made the car better and more responsive
Ill get the watch out and reset the throttle adaption. Haven't done that in a while. Good advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #19
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Have never had that issue or that of the OP. The only thing I've heard from removing the charcoal filter is some idle problems, taking it out doesn't give much.
Can read about it here http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...I+ESS+throttle
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0