BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

There Must Be an Easier Way to Clean Wheels!

First, I don't have access to running water. I had my 135i (800 miles) with M-Sport wheels (Style 261, IIRC) professionally detailed about a month ago, and there was a sealant applied to the wheels. Today I used Optimum NoRinse (ONR), which works great, to clean the body and the wheels. When I got down to the wheels, the brake dust easily came off, however, it seems to stick to everything else. I used disposable shop towels to clean the wheels with the ONR, which took several applications, and an old, clean cotton towel to wipe them down. But that method seemed to require a lot of effort and I couldn't get into any crevices. I ended up only doing the shiny bits of the wheels since I was running out of disposable towels, and clean space on the cotton towel. I've got some P21S cleaner, but I don't want to strip the sealant off the wheels, although I'm not sure it will but also don't easily have water to rinse it off either.

Also, can someone recommend an easier way to do this? And also some type of brush or sponge to make the cleaning of the wheel easier?

Many thanks!

pge
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Also, I meant to ask is there an easy way to clean the inside of the exhaust tips, say about an inch or so in? I've got the Meisterschaft Touring HP, which are now covered in burnt oil (well, a black coating that I suspect is burnt oil). The inside of the tip is polished stainless steel, I'd like it to look as close as possible to when it was installed (see attached photo). Foolish, right?

Thanks, again!

pge
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I recall one of the pro detailers here saying they used P21S wheel cleaner on the exhaust tips. They said it did a good job on them.

You could also use a good metal polish like "autosol" but it requires alot of elbow grease! Plus the stuff stinks to high heaven. I plan on using P21S next time at the car wash.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

^^^^^^^^^^

He used P21S wheel gel and #0000 steel wool to clean the tips.
      03-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Somewhere on this list, someone mentioned disposable microfiber towels. Is there such a thing, and is it a good idea! FWIW, sounds great for wheels.

pge
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

I've always found this able to clean exhaust tips and wheels fairly well without harming chrome cause it's a natural citrus cleaner. It's strong but apparently from the testimony on the site those guys use it on their paint but I haven't tried that and I try not to get it on paint cause I thought it might be too strong and strip a clear coat. I got it at walmart for pretty cheap.

http://www.cleanitwithxenit.com/new1...withxenit.html
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

To the OP -

wheel sealants will last about 1000-1500 miles is all. The heat the wheels generate, combined with the cleaning and driving through puddles, etc, will degrade the sealant rather quickly. Add in the mix some P21S or the like, and you shorten the protection life. Just plan on reapplying monthly. Its easier to maintain rather than to fix! The wheel sealant (any sealant really on the wheels) will help the brake dust NOT stick best when its fresh (first couple of washes)
Appreciate 0