BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
akmana
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Polish and Sealant

I have some Menzerna 106FA Super finish and it just isnt getting the job done (With a PC and orange pad). I have a BSM 135 with some swirling, whats the next step? would meguiars 105 be too aggressive? what about their dual action?

Next, what is a good sealant that can be applied over a car that has already had a series of polishes and sealants applied. I know the Klasse AIO has some stripping agents and I do not want to remove any of the products that are currently on the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
I have had good luck with Griots
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmana View Post
I have some Menzerna 106FA Super finish and it just isnt getting the job done (With a PC and orange pad). I have a BSM 135 with some swirling, whats the next step? would meguiars 105 be too aggressive? what about their dual action?

Next, what is a good sealant that can be applied over a car that has already had a series of polishes and sealants applied. I know the Klasse AIO has some stripping agents and I do not want to remove any of the products that are currently on the car.
The next step IMO would be Menzena SIP. This is a medium cutting polish and should work well with a green pad. If this doesn't work, then the 105 would be a good next step, but keep in mind it's a high cutting polish.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I have a new Porter cable 7424 waiting to put on my new polish! I am going with M105/M205 and Menzerna power lock sealant...then some Natty blue Carnuba to top it off. Just need some free time to put it all on...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

I would suggest using the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 or the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83. You can apply them with a cyan or orange pad. I would follow up with the PO106FA and a white or tangerine pad. Upon completion protect the paint with a quality sealant like Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant or the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. These sealants will enhance the shine and provide serious protection! These sealants will not strip off any previous coats. They can be applied with a blue pad or by hand. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Has anyone used 3M's Finesse-It II Machine Polish. There are three cutting polishes(I think? I always used the #II polish). I have found it to work wonders on hard to get out scratches.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CBcQrQQwAA
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Grit Numbers

Sandpaper or finishing paper is the most common item from a larger group of products known as "coated abrasives" i.e. Aluminium oxide. When talking about "grit" is a reference to the number of abrasive particles per inch of finishing paper (sandpaper). The lower the grit the more abrasive and conversely, the higher the grit number the lesser (smoother) the finishing paper

When talking about abrasive finishing paper, "grit" is a reference to the number of abrasive particles per inch of paper. It eliminates the risk of deep sanding scratches by providing a uniform grit size. This makes sense if you imagine how small the grit particles on a 1000-grit finishing paper would need to be to fit into a 1- inch square. Grit finishing paper is referred to by the size of its abrasives (i.e. 1500-grit paper) the grit you use depends on what you are trying to do.

Foam Pads are also rated on a grit number, that is to say the scratches they will remove after using grit finishing paper along with a similarly rated polish (i.e. 2500 grit rated pad and polish will remove the marks left after using 2500 grit finishing paper)

Matching a foam pad / polish combination to a scratch -diagnosis is the key; not guess work. Always choose the least intrusive product, it is preferable to polish 2-3 times to restore the paint film surface than to use an unnecessarily abrasive machine polish / foam pad combination.

Select an abrasive polish to match the scratch you are trying to remove. It makes no sense to use a very aggressive polish, it will remove most scratches but at what cost to clear coat thickness

Once you have identified the scratch ‘grit’ marks you can match a polish and a foam pad (i.e. 2500 grit marks, require a polish that is capable of removing 2500 grit (number) marks, matched with a suitable cutting pad (e.g. Menzerna Power Finish (PO203S) this is a one-step scratch remover polish that will remove 2500 grit, matched with a LC White light cutting foam pad)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
REVNU
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 WRX 2.2 Stroker

106FA isn't aggressive enough to remove deeper swirls. Meguiar's 205 is a really nice polish that works great for me. M105 could work too on a polishing pad. If that doesn't do it then 105 and orange followed by M205 and white or orange and a final polish with 106FA on a Lake Country white or black pad.

Sealants are like music. Everyone has their own tastes. Any decent sealant should work fine, they all tend to have their own "look". Best thing to do is keep trying different ones and stick to the one you like. Klasse AIO will strip but it does leave behind a sealant, hence the "All-in-One". It can be topped with your sealant of choice.
Appreciate 0