BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
AIO Sealant, wax, etc.

Okay, I'm a total noob when it comes to detailing. I've got all the stuff I need for hand washing the car, taking care of the tires/wheels, and interior, but I'm looking for a "final step." In other words, what should I be doing after wasing and drying my car? I'd like to protect the paint from fading, and I'd like something with some gloss to it, but I don't want to get into layering multiple products and spending all day on this. Any recomendations? I'm looking at Klasse All-in-One (or Klasse High Gloss - do they HAVE to be used together?) or Poorboy's EX Sealant (am particularly intrigued by this one, as it seems simple). Any guidance here? Should I get a PC to apply or buff this stuff? Thanks in advance.
      04-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Mutilator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 135i

I've been using Klasse All-In-One for years. Typically I top it with some P21S wax - since it goes on like melted butter I don't really consider it as being any extra work. I do it all by hand. The only time I use a PC is when I'm doing a very thorough detailing and/or removing swirl marks or working with paint that hasn't been taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I just put some Menzerna power lock sealant on my wife's SUV and was VERY impressed. Very easy to use and the paint looks awesome. Go to Detailedimage.com as they have it on sale right now I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
REVNU
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 WRX 2.2 Stroker

Optimum Opti-Seal (Clear Spray Sealant) - Basically you spray some on a foam pad rub it into the paint and walk away; you're done, and it looks great.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilator View Post
I've been using Klasse All-In-One for years. Typically I top it with some P21S wax - since it goes on like melted butter I don't really consider it as being any extra work. I do it all by hand. The only time I use a PC is when I'm doing a very thorough detailing and/or removing swirl marks or working with paint that hasn't been taken care of.
I'm looking at the Klasse products + the P21S, but the Klasse SG looks like a PITA. Do just use the AIO + the P21S? Have you ever used the SG with it? I'm wondering if the extra effort is worth it ir not, or if I should just use the AIO + P21S. Thanks.
      04-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Mutilator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 135i

Never used the SG... just AIO + P21S.

I might have noticed a dif on my previous car(s)... but now that my car is white it's harder to tell what each product does for the paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I'm looking at the Klasse products + the P21S, but the Klasse SG looks like a PITA. Do just use the AIO + the P21S? Have you ever used the SG with it? I'm wondering if the extra effort is worth it ir not, or if I should just use the AIO + P21S. Thanks.
If you ignore the directions for SG, and just apply it to a panel at a time and immediately wipe it off, it's actually quite easy to use, doesn't tend to streak like it does when following the directions, and still provides plenty of protection.

I can't recall which "study" found the AIO/P21s combo to be so good, but it's quite old, and in my experience isn't a very durable combination, and doesn't do anything that a full synthetic like SG, Zaino Z2 or Menzerna Power Lock do just as well, plus the synthetics will last a lot longer.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You guys will probably think I am nuts for admiting this but.... I have tried Zanio, Klasse, ect... But I keep coming back to my ol' stand by. What is it?

Well.... I have put on my Nomex now... what I keep coming back to use is: NuFinish. YuP! There is just something I really like about this stuff. Once you put one coat the car - twice within 30 days, it really provides a good smooth texture. Great water beading and easy to put on and buff off. Zanio is very good too... but I find that for bird droppings and acid rain... NuFinish is way better. Just IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Zaino is very good too... but I find that for bird droppings and acid rain... NuFinish is way better. Just IMHO.
You certainly nailed the weak spots of Zaino. Whatever works for you is great. I think that with so many variables - humidity, temperatures, water quality, personal practices, that it's impossible to apply a "best" label to any product. I've had great luck with Zaino, Menzerna and Klasse, and can make a lot of other products serviceable, but each user is likely to find a good, go to product that others haven't had much luck with. Nothing wrong with NuFinish, plus it's easy to find!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVNU View Post
Optimum Opti-Seal (Clear Spray Sealant) - Basically you spray some on a foam pad rub it into the paint and walk away; you're done, and it looks great.
+1
Opti-Seal was used and recommended on my 135 by the professional detailer who did the job http://www.goinggreendetailing.com/. I have since used it on the wheels to combat BMW's famous brake dust and it works.

pge
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

One other product that I really have started to like is BMW's own Nano-Tech wax/sealer. Its sold in a silver box and comes with some soft cotton cloths. costs twenty euros from the BMW Zentrum/Dealer.

This stuff goes on in a clear solution/film. After a minute or so it gets cloudy and you simply wipe it off after a few minutes. Very easy on & off. No white dust like NuFinish. Water beads nicely too.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #12
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

An acrylic polymer (Klasse, Jeff Werkstatt, etc) are more resistant to attack by acid rain, bird excrement, etc than a polymer
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

This is my new favorite wax at the moment. I bought at my local BMW in Germany. I think BMW NA also sells it. Costs about 20 euros for a 375ml bottle. It goes on really easy and comes off just the same. No dust or residue either.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I have seen the whole line of BMW products...wax, interior cleaner, leather stuff etc... at teh BMW dealer here. I would think it would be good stuff. I also think it must be made by someone else for BMW...wonder who?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I think SONAX makes most of the stuff.

You can tell by the other BMW cleaning products they sell like the "bug & tar remover" or the "leather care" products. They all come in the EXACT bottles as SONAX products do. The only difference is the BMW stuff comes in a silver bottle instead of a red one!

But this Nano-Wax is different. I have never seen it sold at the other German stores that I frequent. I know P21S and A1 (made by Dr. Wack) makes stuff for the likes of Porsche's cleaning car line.

I do not know who makes this Nao wax for BMW though.

Btw... Sonax has a realy high end wax out too. Sonax PremiumClass CarnaubaCare

http://www.amazon.de/SONAX-02112000-...503640&sr=1-34

You can see by searching around on Amazon.de (the German website) how simular the bottles look to BMW car care lineup.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Well guys... I broke down and bought some "Menzerma's power lock". I washed my car today and polished it with this M-stuff. AND... I gotta say how impressed I am with it! I have tried alot of different products over the years... and I always kept coming back to my cheasy NuFinish.... but dam is this Menzerma stuff great to work with!

This stuff is really some GREAT (green) stuff in a bottle. AND it goes on and off soooo nicely. Not hard to buff on. It comes right off with a clean micro fiber towel. No dust, and best of all it gives the paint a deep clear luster to it. AND better yet(!) it makes the car's paint feel soooo sliky smooth. I love this stuff! It is pure SEX in a 12oz bottle! lol
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Glad to hear you stepped up to the Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant. It's amongst the best sealants I have ever tested. It looks outstanding, while providing very durable protection that is easy to work with.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #18
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
Glad to hear you stepped up to the Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant. It's amongst the best sealants I have ever tested. It looks outstanding, while providing very durable protection that is easy to work with.

Greg @ DI
Greg, I love Menz products but have been using Blackfire Wet Diamond for my LSP. How would you say the Power Lock compares to BFWD?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #19
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Greg, I love Menz products but have been using Blackfire Wet Diamond for my LSP. How would you say the Power Lock compares to BFWD?
Very close competition between those two for my favorite sealant right now. I think the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is just slightly slicker during the application process. Looks and durability wise both have done very well for me. I go back and forth on which one looks better, it's really a close call. It's really tough to pick one because I really love both. Sorry I don't have a clear cut answer for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #20
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
Very close competition between those two for my favorite sealant right now. I think the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is just slightly slicker during the application process. Looks and durability wise both have done very well for me. I go back and forth on which one looks better, it's really a close call. It's really tough to pick one because I really love both. Sorry I don't have a clear cut answer for you.
No problem Greg, your answer is fine- they're both good products! So it would probably come down to price (not sure how they compare).

Either way, I'm happy with the BFWD.

Edit: they cost the same

- Joe Walsh

Last edited by BlackjackMulligan; 06-11-2010 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Greg & Gang,

Is there anything else one should be using with "Menzerma's power lock"?

I just wash my car and then apply the Menz-sealer. Any other tips?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

I generally recommend a full detail at least 1 - 2 times per year. For me a full detail would me at least a wash, dry, clay bar, polish (usually a medium and light polish), sealant and the wax is optional after. The clay bar will help deep clean the paint and the polishes are arguably the most important step in restoring the shine. In between you can wash, dry and apply the Power Lock (Sealant) as desired. Let me know if you need any help selecting some products for a full detail.
Appreciate 0