BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
philiopf22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black Lexus GX 470 / AW 135

post midwest winter zaino cleaning

Hey Everybody, I'm looking for a good post winter procedure for my AW 135. I have the usual tar/rust spots embedded into the clear coat. I've always handwashed so no real swirls.

I've just thoroughly washed it and it has last fall's zaino coat with Z-CS sealer. So it still beading a bit but not as much as it did.

Can somebody help me put together the right order of application steps?

I have the following Z-AIO, Z-CS, Z-8 & 314, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, and ZFX

I know I'm going to claybar to hopefully remove rust and tar, but after that I'm looking for some guidance. Thanks in Advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Try the clay first, but if your tar spots are stubborn, try the Stoner Tarminator, it's the best thing I've found for tar removal. You may be able to remove everything with just clay, so go that route first.

You have a lot of products I find to be relatively redundant in the Zaino line-up, Z-AIO, Z-CS, Z2, Z5 and Z8 are all last stage products and do just about the same thing. Z8 and Z-CS can both be layered over any of the others, but I find they're short term products at best.

It looks like you don't have any polishes, and Z-PC is an odd duck that's a little more aggressive than a final polish, and a little light for much correction, so you can skip that. If you really don't want to do any swirl removal or gloss enhancement, you can start and finish with Z2 or Z5, I find them pretty interchangeable.

I usually do a Z7 wash, clay and dry, then at least a single step polish, followed by a Z6 wipe down, a coat of ZFX activated Z2. I'll generally buff the Z2 off, do another Z6 wipe down and another coat of Z2 and repeat one more time to get three coats on. You can skip any polish if you'd like, and finish up with a coat of Z8 if like.

If you own a random orbital, I'd really recommend you do at least a single round of polish after you wash and clay. It will prep the surface better for your sealant and will both increase gloss and cut down on slight swirls. If you want to do this by hand, Zaino tends to recommend 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, and it is pretty impressive as a hand applied polish. Just make sure the polish is water borne, oil borne polishes will hinder the sealant from bonding as well as water borne polishes.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
All good stuff from Redbread. For a different perspective, I'm not a huge fan of Zaino stuff as I find it difficult to use, although I know a lot of people love it. I'd recommend a nice medium polish (menzerna SIP, etc) since you have very little swirling followed up with a nice layer of Blackfire Wet Diamond. It wipes on and wipes off, no mixing, etc.

- Joe Walsh

Last edited by BlackjackMulligan; 04-23-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I just did my spring wash and was really happy with my new purchases. I got a Porter cable 7424xp polisher, lake country pads and Meguair's M105/M205 and followed it up with Menzerna power lock sealant. The whole process (wash, clay, polish M105 polish M205 and sealant) took me a while (maybe 10 hours total) but the results are amazing. My paint look brand new and the gloss is impressive. I awas very impressed at how the polish makes such a difference in the paint. I'm sure Zaino will leave a nice shine but I thik the polish won't take too much longer and the results will be better. Following some of the online info I found the process fairly simple and well worth the effort! My total set up cost me almost $400 but the big chunk of that was the polisher and now I have lots of polish and sealant for both my cars and it will last me for several years.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
philiopf22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Try the clay first, but if your tar spots are stubborn, try the Stoner Tarminator, it's the best thing I've found for tar removal. You may be able to remove everything with just clay, so go that route first.

You have a lot of products I find to be relatively redundant in the Zaino line-up, Z-AIO, Z-CS, Z2, Z5 and Z8 are all last stage products and do just about the same thing. Z8 and Z-CS can both be layered over any of the others, but I find they're short term products at best.

It looks like you don't have any polishes, and Z-PC is an odd duck that's a little more aggressive than a final polish, and a little light for much correction, so you can skip that. If you really don't want to do any swirl removal or gloss enhancement, you can start and finish with Z2 or Z5, I find them pretty interchangeable.

I usually do a Z7 wash, clay and dry, then at least a single step polish, followed by a Z6 wipe down, a coat of ZFX activated Z2. I'll generally buff the Z2 off, do another Z6 wipe down and another coat of Z2 and repeat one more time to get three coats on. You can skip any polish if you'd like, and finish up with a coat of Z8 if like.

If you own a random orbital, I'd really recommend you do at least a single round of polish after you wash and clay. It will prep the surface better for your sealant and will both increase gloss and cut down on slight swirls. If you want to do this by hand, Zaino tends to recommend 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, and it is pretty impressive as a hand applied polish. Just make sure the polish is water borne, oil borne polishes will hinder the sealant from bonding as well as water borne polishes.
Really good advice. I have not picked up a light polish yet as you identified nor do I have an orbital. I'm pretty happy with the finish on the car, it is only hand washed with a clean mitt during the winters so no terrible swirls in it. There are a few though that I can see in the right light. I thought the Z2 was a polish. I'm still in that stage regarding car care where I have more money than brains.

A couple of questions:

1) What light polish would you recommend that can be picked up at a local store, also brand suggestions are welcome.
2) I don't have an orbital yet but may pick up the porter cable, how much of a time saver is this and do you guys use it with the zaino products?
3) For paint in pretty good condition, can hand polishing be effective?

Thanks Again All!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

[A couple of questions:

1) What light polish would you recommend that can be picked up at a local store, also brand suggestions are welcome.
2) I don't have an orbital yet but may pick up the porter cable, how much of a time saver is this and do you guys use it with the zaino products?
3) For paint in pretty good condition, can hand polishing be effective?

Thanks Again All! [/quote]

I had done some hand polishing before and I always got good results but it took some serious effort. Once you see the results with a polisher it doesn't really compare! A polisher is far superior to hand.
Don't expect a polisher to save you time. It is a slow process but well worth the effort. Doing 2 stage polishing plus a the sealant takes a while. I was on the fence about a polisher for a few years. I now wish I had gotten it a few years ago! I would recommend getting a polisher/pad/polish/sealant package. Lots of good options at detailedimage.com, detailersdomain.com and autogeek.net. I can't comment on Zaino's products as I haven't used any. However, my M105/M205/Menzerna power lock worked really well for me on both my BMW and my wife's Acura MDX. It was $$$ well spent.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
..... my BMW and my wife's Acura MDX.
same lineup in my driveway!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
All good stuff from Redbread. For a different perspective, I'm not a huge fan of Zaino stuff as I find it difficult to use, although I know a lot of people love it. I'd recommend a nice medium polish (menzerna SIP, etc) since you have very little swirling followed up with a nice layer of Blackfire Wet Diamond. It wipes on and wipes off, no mixing, etc.
I have been using Zaino for 7 years and have always been pleased with the results. And always on Jet Black BMW's. And it has never seemed difficult to use. Now you have me wondering if I'm not getting the right results, if I've just become used to 'difficult' or what.

Can you expand on what you mean?

Thanks....

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
I have been using Zaino for 7 years and have always been pleased with the results. And always on Jet Black BMW's. And it has never seemed difficult to use. Now you have me wondering if I'm not getting the right results, if I've just become used to 'difficult' or what.

Can you expand on what you mean?

Thanks....
sure, no problem. First off, I honestly think the whole mixing thing is hocus pocus. Why do you have to add "ZFX" (that you get for the low low price of $19.99) when you can get other sealants that already come mixed and ready to apply and layer for the cost of just their additive? But I digress....

The issues I've had is that it seems to streak on me terribly. No matter how I tried, I couldn't avoid the streaks. Yes, I'll READILY admit to user error, but if it's so easy to misuse the stuff, then again, I'm ready to move on. The Blackfire Wet Diamond that I used last time wipes on and wipes off, no issues whatsoever, and it doesn't matter how much (or how little) I use. I've also used Rejex many times in the past and it also is an easy wipe on, let set, and wipe off when done.

I tried misting the pad, tried applying an "X" on the pad, tried putting a dime size spot on the pad, etc. And it was in my best interest for it to work because I spent nearly $100 on the different sealants (Z2, Z5, ZFX, Z6, etc). I ended up selling them to another forum member with a white car so that I could try something else.

I will certainly recognize Zaino for a premium product that gives great results when used correctly- it's just not for me.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
sure, no problem. First off, I honestly think the whole mixing thing is hocus pocus. Why do you have to add "ZFX" (that you get for the low low price of $19.99) when you can get other sealants that already come mixed and ready to apply and layer for the cost of just their additive? But I digress.....
I always assumed that was just some magic like the glue you buy that comes in 2 tubes and can't be combined until just before you apply it....

Quote:
The issues I've had is that it seems to streak on me terribly. No matter how I tried, I couldn't avoid the streaks. Yes, I'll READILY admit to user error, but if it's so easy to misuse the stuff, then again, I'm ready to move on. The Blackfire Wet Diamond that I used last time wipes on and wipes off, no issues whatsoever, and it doesn't matter how much (or how little) I use. I've also used Rejex many times in the past and it also is an easy wipe on, let set, and wipe off when done. .
Now this I can identify with. I just thought the streaking was part of any detailing process and was that part of the job that made us really dedicated addicts. But if you are saying it does NOT have to be this difficult - I'm there...

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
I always assumed that was just some magic like the glue you buy that comes in 2 tubes and can't be combined until just before you apply it....

Now this I can identify with. I just thought the streaking was part of any detailing process and was that part of the job that made us really dedicated addicts. But if you are saying it does NOT have to be this difficult - I'm there...
I've always said that Zaino has a great product with an even better marketing plan- can't use Zxx with out Zxx, make sure you use Zxx in between coats, etc. Maybe it makes a difference, maybe it doesn't. I'm not bashing, some people swear by it and that's cool.

Try out the Blackfire next time, and see what you think. Maybe you'll like the Zaino better, who knows? That's the beauty of detailing, everyone has their favorites.

One point I will make is that I spend a lot of time browsing the threads over at Autopia.com which is the detailers mecca and I see Menz polishes, Megs polishes, and Blackfire sealant used like 90% of the time, Zaino products maybe 5%. But some guys do still use it.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
REVNU
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 WRX 2.2 Stroker

Quote:
One point I will make is that I spend a lot of time browsing the threads over at Autopia.org which is the detailers mecca and I see Menz polishes, Megs polishes, and Blackfire sealant used like 90% of the time, Zaino products maybe 5%. But some guys do still use it.
Fixed that for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVNU View Post
Fixed that for you.
thanks, it's in my favorites so I rarely type the addy

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
philiopf22
Private First Class
Rep

quick question. I can't get the 3M anywhere local and I just washed/clayed/washed so I really want to get this done this weekend. I can get meguiars locally so I was thinking of using either their 5 or 7 glaze. Would that be a suitable substitute for the 3m hand glaze?
Appreciate 0