BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

04-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Question Oil Overflow Message after E89X-10-03-502?

Prior to the dealer downloading a new SW version, the electronic oil status indicator functioned properly. Dealer downloaded Integration Level E89X-10-03-502 and ever since then the summary level display for oil shows green, but when selecting the detailed oil indicator display it shows a yellow status and message that says oil is over-filled

SA says drive it for a few days and see if it goes away. Anyone else had this anomaly happen after this integration level download? If so and you eventually got it fixed, what was the problem?

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

So iDrive says one thing, and dash another ? I'd go with the dash, which has better resolution, but keep reading. Both systems should be interconnected. Are you positive NO OIL was added?

What I'd do is put iDrive on the oil level page, and do a manual reset on the dash with engine fully hot (at least 10 miles of use, and once a level is shown), at idle, and on a flat surface (garage is perfect). Report back with what dash and iDrive say.

By the way, I'd pay NO attention to the oil level indicator unless you perform a 'reset' as described above. It's like measuring your tire pressures after using the car; they're going to be inconsistent all the time. The sensor takes a reading anywhere from 10 to 15 miles after every ignition cycle, and that can be while you're negotiating a curve, going uphill, downhill, WOT, etc.; you get the picture. The level you get while doing the above, that's the true level (at least within the system's resolution, which is +/- 1/4L). Hope this helps.

Last edited by JCtx; 04-25-2010 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

I think the OP means the display is different between the roll up iDrive status menu and when he open the specific oil display menu.

Software updates: don't do them unless it's to fix a real problem.

Cheap advice, I know.
      04-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
I think the OP means the display is different between the roll up iDrive status menu and when he open the specific oil display menu.
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
Software updates: don't do them unless it's to fix a real problem.
Unfortunately I needed a SW update to minimize the serious DCT lag/hesitation safety issue

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
Unfortunately I needed a SW update to minimize the serious DCT lag/hesitation safety issue
Understandable reason. Hope this gets fixed.
      04-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
So iDrive says one thing, and dash another? I'd go with the dash, which has better resolution, but keep reading. Both systems should be interconnected. Are you positive NO OIL was added?

What I'd do is put iDrive on the oil level page, and do a manual reset on the dash with engine fully hot (at least 10 miles of use, and once a level is shown), at idle, and on a flat surface (garage is perfect). Report back with what dash and iDrive say.
Performed reset routine. No, both the Dash and idrive still show the oil as max or overfilled, but the vehicle status overview display shows the oil as Green or OK

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
Performed reset routine. No, both the Dash and idrive still show the oil as max or overfilled, but the vehicle status overview display shows the oil as Green or OK
Oh, I get what you're saying now. The oil LEVEL window on iDrive and the dash should be consistent, and they are. Those are the important ones. On the other hand, 'overfilled' is a stretch; it's like when it's a hair over the full line. It's not like the tech put 11 liters in there, so I wouldn't be worried.

What we don't know is if when other cars get the 'overfilled' condition, they also get the 'OK' summary screen like you. Let's find out first, before blaming the reflash. But yes, I completely agree NOT to do that unless you really have to. These cars have enough quirks and weird electronic behavior as they are, but reflashes only seem to make them worse.

Finally, if you want to bring the oil level to the normal range, just drain the front sump and that should do it. There's about 1/2L in there, so it's probably going to drop from 'full' for sure; your call. Hey, was it 'overfilled' before, or you never bothered to check? Just curious. If not, I bet techs probably put some oil in there; find out (talk to the tech who actually worked on your car). Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Hey, was it 'overfilled' before, or you never bothered to check? ...... If not, I bet techs probably put some oil in there; find out (talk to the tech who actually worked on your car). Good luck.
No it wasn't as I check it every so often (at gas fill-ups for example). Yeah, I asked the SA if maybe a Tech just topped-off the oil, but he said it was not noted as such.
Car goes back to the dealership for this strange anomaly next week

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

So I stopped by the dealership last Friday to show the service mgr the over-fill yellow idrive display. The SA still claims no one topped-off the oil when the car was in just for a SW update, but when they bled-off some oil guess what, all the oil reading measurements (dash, idrive) went to normal range. Who do you trust

Appreciate 0