BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Charles Kinbote
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe 6MT

Questions re: possible 135 purchase

Hello, everyone--

I am contemplating the purchase of a 135 as a fair-weather fun car. This would live in the garage for 4 or 5 months out of the year. I have a few questions on which I hope you can give me some guidance--thanks in advance!

1. Would I need to have the car continuously connected to a battery charger or could this be done periodically? I assume that running the engine for 20 minutes every week or so would not be sufficient (in addition to being a nuisance and potential CO hazard).

2. Would I need to put the car up on jacks, or would moving the car to a slightly different position periodically be necessary to ensure that the tires don't somehow suffer? I'm planning on keeping the stock tires until they need replacing.

3. I like the look of the Glossy Black trim, at least in the BYO image--I've never seen the stuff in reality. Any opinions on actual appearance and, more important, durability and scratch-resistance?

4. I plan to take advantage of the free leather in the Value Package. Any opinions on the durability of this material in a pretty cold Northeastern climate? I know there are forum threads dealing with different conditioners and the frequency of their application--I don't remember any discussions dealing specifically with cold climates. Also, I've narrowed my color choices to Black, Taupe and Gray. Any thoughts as to which color wears and ages best?

5. Anything else I should take into account?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

1. yes hook it up to a battery tender, that will keep a constant battery charge.
2. pump the tires to Max PSI, every month roll the car back or fourth about a foot or 2.
3. shadow trim is fine....no need to worry.
4. stick with the leatherette........ maintenance free.
5. If you are not going to be driving the car year around, i highly suggest that you order the car with the least amount of options. Get manual trans and M-pack and ipod/usb port.
Good luck...........
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Charles Kinbote
Rep

Hello, Cuz5150 and thanks for your response. I realize in reading it that I wasn't clear about the Glossy Black question--I'm thinking of the interior trim. We've got the black shadowline trim on our 328 and I like that just fine.

CK
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Itanius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Kinbote View Post
2. Would I need to put the car up on jacks, or would moving the car to a slightly different position periodically be necessary to ensure that the tires don't somehow suffer? I'm planning on keeping the stock tires until they need replacing.
No need to do either. Check out some Flatstoppers... a curved surface you park your car on:
http://www.reverselogic.us/ReverseLo...tstoppers.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Kinbote View Post
5. Anything else I should take into account?
Enjoy your permanent smile.
      04-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
jc_lbc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318ti

I don't really like the glossy black trim. It looks very plasticy to me and up close you can clearly see the metal flakes impregnated in it. Still, some people really like it. I prefer the aluminum (some people hate that too) or wood trims depending on interior color.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Where in CNY are you? Im in Syracuse. I have both the showline trim (exterior glossy black trim) and Piano Black trim (Interior glossy black trim) I can meet up with you during the day or at night.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Charles Kinbote
Rep

Hello, BrokenVert--

That's very kind of you. My schedule is hectic for the next couple of weeks--let me get back to you!

CK
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Charles Kinbote
Rep

Hello, Itanius and jc-lbc--

Thanks to both of you for your input!

CK
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

1. You've got a couple of options there. Running the car for a few minutes every week would be plenty to top the battery off, or the battery tender will do the trick as well. You could also just disconnect one terminal (they're really easy in this car), but that might drop some of your settings.

4. The leather doesn't hold up so well in my experience, and a lot of other people have complained about it as well. If you can get the leatherette in the color you want, I'd go for that.
Appreciate 0