BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

New UK 135i Convertible AW/Coral, Perf Parts

On Friday my 135i Coupe went to a very good friend who may show his face on here in due course and I picked a new 135i Convertible... spec is in my sig, but to summarise, the key additional features:

BMW Performance Exhaust (WOW!!!)
BMW Performance SSK
BMW Performance Handbrake
BMW Performance Grills
BMS Dual Cone Intake (installed by me)
JB+ (installed by me)
Stubby aerial (changed on the forecourt )

My initial impressions were focused on the exhaust, it really is stunning and worth every single penny, I am really strubbling to keep below 4k rpm as the noise is sensational, especially with the roof down.

The SSK is also a huge improvement over stock, with short and snappy gearchanges, it's nearly as good as my old S2000's which, IMO, have one of the best gearbox's ever made.

I got the handbrake to match the gearstick and I really do love the alcantara.

I should add that my car is NOT an N55, but an N54. I was lucky to get the choice, and based on a $60 a month saving and the fact that I could mod from new without having to wait 6-12 months for the parts sold it to me. So apologies as there will be no N54 v N55 reviews here.

I was lucky that I got to drop the roof on straight away as the sun was out on Friday, I left the dealership with a huge grin as the exhaust sang it's tune as I gave it a little leaving the forecourt. My friend followed in my old coupe in what would have looked quite a cool 2 car 135i coupe and convertible convoy, with both cars in gleaming Alpine White and Coral Red It's a shame that my old coupe had a better shine than my new car, but I will sort that as soon as the weather clears.

I have only done 300miles so far, but initial impressions are that any concerns that I had around scuttle shake are not evident and it rides very well. Clearly, there is always going to be a compromise choosing a coupe that's had it's roof chopped, and you do lose some ridgitity and I think BMW have slightly softened the suspension as it's a little more 'wallowly' down bumpy country roads. I something I can happily accept, as much as I really did love the coupe, I always missed the roof down fun of my previous two Honda S2000's.

My only negative is the dumbo door mirrors, they really are pig ugly and I am shocked that BMW could not have done a better job designing them
Aside from the mirrors everything else is great so far, looking forward to doing some serious miles over the next few weeks and get it run in so I can really hear the exhaust.

Lot's of pics....

They were taken at 6pm and it was overcast
Going to try and get some decent pics in the sun, once I have had a chance to give it a proper polish and wax - only managed a quick wash and waxed the wheels - fully clay, polish and wax scheduled for tomorrow!

BMS DCI

Perf Exhaust

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
playitfunky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Looking good! I shall watch out for you (saw your old one a couple of times escaping north from the city centre ;-)
      05-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

man you have a clean exhaust.. mines like smoky as
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playitfunky View Post
Looking good! I shall watch out for you (saw your old one a couple of times escaping north from the city centre ;-)
What colour's yours?

Don't see too many 135i's in Nottingham!

Mine should be back on it's normal plate S2 MOF within 2 weeks - DVLA cocked up the plate transfer

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Harry135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Hey moff....boy thats looks fabulous (saw pics on babybmw also).

Makes me want that performance exhaust all the more...missus said she'd leave me if I had it done.....

Is it chromed/shiny finish as standard or did you get that done?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

congrats on a very nice ride. what is your impression of the jb+ and dual cone intake combo? i get mine on sunday, cant wait to install? how bad was the airbox removal? thanks
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry135 View Post
Hey moff....boy thats looks fabulous (saw pics on babybmw also).

Makes me want that performance exhaust all the more...missus said she'd leave me if I had it done.....

Is it chromed/shiny finish as standard or did you get that done?
The exhaust is amazing, I just drove to the shop for something that I didn't really need so I could hear it

The tips come shiney, but I have used metal polish to enhance the shine and then protected it with some good car wax.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
congrats on a very nice ride. what is your impression of the jb+ and dual cone intake combo? i get mine on sunday, cant wait to install? how bad was the airbox removal? thanks
It all seems good, but since I am still running the car in I haven't really seen much beyond 4k rpm.

Pickup does feel great though, my last car was a 135 Coupe without the BMS DCI and not piggy back and it feels faster, and I can't really notice that the convertible is 300lb's heavier.

I have the JB set to 50% at the moment, but may increase once I have a few thousand on the clock.

Totally loving it so far, great to be back in a convertible, but it is frustrating having to wait so long for the roof to retract... took 5 secs in my old S2000.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Love it!
      05-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
playitfunky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
What colour's yours?

Don't see too many 135i's in Nottingham!
All black - with a Norwich City badge in the front window
There are a couple hanging around, one blue one at my work, but mostly 120/3d in M-sport trim - fog lights always gives them away
So, anything different on the MY10? I am seriously tempted to go for performance exhaust and power pack, rather than swap at the moment
      05-07-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playitfunky View Post
All black - with a Norwich City badge in the front window
There are a couple hanging around, one blue one at my work, but mostly 120/3d in M-sport trim - fog lights always gives them away
So, anything different on the MY10? I am seriously tempted to go for performance exhaust and power pack, rather than swap at the moment
I pretty much got one of the last N54's off the production line. There are a few changes in this car over my 08 135:

- Obviously the side mirrors
- Central locking is much quieter
- Heated seat buttons are on the air con control panel
- There is a new 'ALL' button allowing the driver side air con settings to be applied to the passenger side without having to change both
- I don't have any insulation under the bonnet and my coupe did have
- Dunlop RFT's instead of Bridgestones

Think that's about it... and all that I have found so far.

My only issue is that my passenger side mirror doesn't go down when in reverse - I think that this is due to getting the SSK fitted and the dealer my have forgot to reattach a sensor?? I have elec mirrors and checked the manual to ensure that I have done everything correctly.

Nothing major though and loving it so far!

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Moff,

Car looks fabulous.

Once you get used to jb+ @ 50% you'll soon have that puppy cranked up to 100%. After that, we must get you on jb3. It's such an improvement in power and smoothness over jb+. Also you may want the extra power to off-set the extra baggage you're carrying around! Please don't wait another 2 years before you make the upgrade.

Mad.
Appreciate 0