BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
M3OwnerHtown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coupe, Blk/Blk

Powder Coating vs Painting

Hey Guys,

I want to have my OEM wheels either PC or painted(ie enamel with clear coat) and wanted to know the pro's and con's between the two process? And also any personal experiences. I went to a local shop and they recommened painting for serveral reasons, plus they don't do PC so I'm sure a bias opinion to some effect:
1. PC process in which they media or sand blast could cause damange to the wheels?
2. Heat from the calipers would eventually wear on the the PC finish?
3. Easier to repair a paint chip/scratch vs PC chip/scratch?
4. Heating process could effect the strength/durability?

All feedback is greatly appreciated before I decided which route to go - PC vs Painting
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Were you thinking about going black? When you get this done, I'd love to drive by and have a look (we don't have to meet, just would like to have a look driving by). I see a red M3 on my way to work on 1960. He got his factory 19s colored black. They look pretty awesome, and it made me think about doing the same on my jet black.

I don't know anything about the 2 processes.
      05-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
sehrgut
Major
Rep
Drives: emthree

You will noticed plenty of rockchips on painted wheels after some time. And the brake dust will get to the paint eventually. PC is just a better way to go IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Do not paint your wheels, they will chip. I reccomend powdercoating since it is more durable, but do your research on powdercoaters first. It is worth the extra money to get it done right. Some shoddy powdercoaters will powdercoat right over the stock finish (typically charge you the least). The better option is that the wheels are sand blasted, then powdercoated over the bare metal. Sandblasting could weaken the wheel and exert unwanted pressures on it during the sandblasting process. The best option is that the stock finish is chemically stripped then powdercoated. This is the least evasive method. It is all in the prep work. This option typically costs the most because it takes more time.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
M3OwnerHtown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coupe, Blk/Blk

Thanks guys for the feedback! Hey Rog, once I get it done we can meet up for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Great! Think I'll start doing a little research myself on the powder-coating process and the shops here in Houston. Got to be plenty of places that do it here.