BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

BMW performance sus

Will be buying a 135i shortly down the road. Please if you have experience give me your opinon on the BMW performance suspension. I've read quite allot on the aftermarket but it's light out there on the BMW Perf Sus due to it's newness. I've driven the M-sport a few times and though I feel it's decient it could improve especially during high speed. As far as what I'm looking at it will be a daily driver, no real track interest, it will be used high speed ( I live in Germany and comute on A62 everyday which where I drive is unregulated) so I desire good road manners. I will eventually be getting the Breyton GTS-R's and will likley stay with 18's and dump the RFT's. Doubtful that I will mod the ECU w/JB etc.... at least for awhile. Deliberating as to get it or go aftermarket. Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I have it on the 2011 135i coupe we just picked up. I think its great. I can't compare it to a regular sport package suspension because I never drove one. I can compare it to the dinan stage 2 i have on my m3 and I think i like the 135i better. No body roll yet its nice and compliant over bumps. I got it for very cheap through pre order on the car. If I had to install it after the fact proably would have gone with KW V2 since the price would have been comparable. then again its for my wife so I had to find something relatively maintenance free (coilovers would have been a pain to adjust for her) and probably too stiff. I would recommend PS if you are just a street driver and dont plan to track it. It also lowers the car enough to make it look more aggressive but not too much where its rubbing, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
i put the performance suspension on my 128i because it also included the sway bars. So far I'm loving it. Check out the full review here. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383090

I agree with above, DD and light track duty for the PS, coilovers for heavy track time.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Looks like good news and thanks for your reply's.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Based on what you are looking for, I'd say you would be happy with the BMW PS. If you do eventually plan to do serious track days, you may find it lacking. But it is a huge improvement over stock, and combines comfort and performance. I actually felt the comfort improved on my car, maybe it is indeed better suited for non-RFTs which I have been on ever since I got the car. Search this forum, lots of threads on the matter.,
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I would agree the car rides very supple with the bmw performance suspension yet stays flat in the turns. I like it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
wlm50
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i Sports Wagon

I had the BMW PS installed two weeks ago, along with M3 front and rear subframe bushings. The car is really transformed. I also put on Michelin PS2s (225/245). The ride is fine, and the handling is what I would have expected from the car in the beginning. I'll be taking the car to the track in the next month or so, and we'll see how that goes. So far, I think the PS is an excellent compromise between road and track. Of course, I can't tell how much of the handling is due to the subframe bushings. But I can tell that the wobble in the rear is gone - thank goodness!
      06-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

All sounds good and again thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

I also have it on my 128i and have been very happy with it. I had the sport suspension and changed to the PS. The ride is just as comfortable, maybe a tiny bit less, but it is much more responsive to driver input.

On some of my favorite roads, if I turned in at the same spot as I did before I installed the suspension, I'd find that I had to unwind the steering wheel to make the same apex. I had to adjust and turn-in later. I gather it is because the car is more responsive and turns in faster, instead of the car taking its sweet time on my steering input. I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Another great aspect is much less body roll. Under hard cornering, the car would not make me feel very confident. It would roll a lot, and I felt uncomfortable pushing it too hard. 0.75g of cornering force was the most I could confidently do on the street. With the performance suspension, under hard cornering the car just sets on the suspension and is firm and stable. Making wonders for my confidence. I have now done 0.91g of cornering force on the street, up to the limit of traction of my tires - squeaaal through the corner (should've gotten stickier tires!!) and I still felt fully under control and the car was firm, stable and responsive. It is not like my track car, but its not intended to be. It delivers very well in this department. I was also pleasantly surprised by this aspect of the suspension.

Squat and dive are greatly reduced, but still there under hard acceleration and braking. But honestly, it is to be expected. If the suspension was firm enough to eliminate it, the ride would not be comfortable for every day driving. So it is more of a "that's perfectly fine, I can live with it" and not a "this sucks".

Another aspect is that if something rattles on your car, it will rattle more. Not a big deal for me, but FYI.

Trouble free, no weird noises or rubbing or anything. Just fun. And you get to keep your warranty.

I am very happy with it for my every day car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
madostrich
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Black/Red M-Sport

should I swap out the RFs before considering the PS?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madostrich View Post
Should be the absolute #1 thing you do! No doubt about it!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by madostrich View Post
Yes, but... Getting rid of the RFT's made a huge improvement in reducing the harshness and eliminating the horrible tramlining of the stock sport set-up, but IMO it worsened the high speed instability. The stock springs are too soft and combined with the softer sidewalls of non-RFT's the car really moved around a lot at speed, especially the rear end, even after bumping up the tire pressures.

I have since installed the PS kit and springs and have found it to be a much better match with the non-RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by old1 View Post
Yes, but... Getting rid of the RFT's made a huge improvement in reducing the harshness and eliminating the horrible tramlining of the stock sport set-up, but IMO it worsened the high speed instability. The stock springs are too soft and combined with the softer sidewalls of non-RFT's the car really moved around a lot at speed, especially the rear end, even after bumping up the tire pressures.

I have since installed the PS kit and springs and have found it to be a much better match with the non-RFT's.
Fully agree with the last statement, seems the PS was designed with non-RFTs in mind.

I found moving to non-RFTs even on stock suspension a win on all fronts. Wet weather (on stock suspension and RFTs) gave me a royal scare (very easy to aquaplane with the RFTs), luckily I changed to non-RFTs only after 2K miles, but even those first few miles was a pain driving on a subpar tire and suspension (being very diplomatic here).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
+1 to most everything said in here!

I haven't found a person unhappy with the setup.. heavy duty track guys are going to be disappointed.. but it's perfect for a daily driver with occasional HPDE/Auto-X days.
      06-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Alow Great write up. One important item is warranty for me. I know I've had my friends M-sport up in the high triple digits and thought to myself "damn my wifes non S Mini tracts better that this!" Quite un-nerving rolling "just say way up there" and the car to me felt like it just couldn't decide exactly where it wanted to keep the tires. I talked to the dealer here and can get the PS plus install for 2K (euro not green backs) which I priced out at 2.4 K current conversion rate. I imagine I can take the happy bits that the PS repleces and sell'em here easy enough to a 128er.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDM68 View Post
Alow Great write up. One important item is warranty for me. I know I've had my friends M-sport up in the high triple digits and thought to myself "damn my wifes non S Mini tracts better that this!" Quite un-nerving rolling "just say way up there" and the car to me felt like it just couldn't decide exactly where it wanted to keep the tires. I talked to the dealer here and can get the PS plus install for 2K (euro not green backs) which I priced out at 2.4 K current conversion rate. I imagine I can take the happy bits that the PS repleces and sell'em here easy enough to a 128er.
No idea if that's a good deal in Germany, but for a dealer install, that is about average here - Except for Dan and his awesome prices

Just to clarify, I also have non-runflat tyres. Have had them since before I installed the performance suspension.

Also, I think the rear subframe bushings from the M3 would tighten up the rear end a bit more. That would be a very welcome addition to my setup. But honestly, I don't know if I will do it. The PS is such a big improvement from the stock sport suspension; and my car is a daily driver. I may just leave it as is.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #17
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

I agree the RFT's cause allot of "bang" my wifes car has them and I an't stand them. Mini/BMW has a knack for specking just the "right" size tires so your stuck with company's they have a throw bock with. With Mini it's Conti's and the only tire for her size wheel comes in RFT's. I also find RFT's slide around, if you will, because of the lack of flex. I know the dealer here well and I have a purpose to get non-RFT's installed prior to pick up.
I figure the deal is fair enough and close to compairable to stateside.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:48 AM   #18
derekL
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMDUBS

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 128i  [6.96]
is there any way to get performance suspension without the sway bars?

|Shadowline Grills|Hotchkis Front Sway Bar|DIY CF Black Fabric Trim|Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler|Black O.Z Ultraleggeras|BMW Performance Exhaust|M-Sport Bumpers w/ Fogs|Shadowline Diffuser|CSR Eyelids|BMW Performance Shifter/Boot and Handbrake|AFE stage 2 intake|Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit|///M mirrors|Blackline LCI|
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #19
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekL View Post
is there any way to get performance suspension without the sway bars?
If you have the 135i sport you don't get a rear sway bar anyhow, just the front. I don't think the dealer will sell you the BMW PS without the front bar and give you a discount, if that is what you are ultimately asking. If you use aftermarket sways, you can alsways sell the front separately.
Appreciate 0