BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

05-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

M3 Enhanced Sound > Logic 7

After seeing several threads about how "bad" the "enhanced audio" is on the M3 I was apprehensive that I'd made a poor choice by adding the option. Many claimed it was worse than the Logic 7 system on the regular 3 series, which I have on my current 335i. Well, I had a few weeks with my M3 in Europe and while it's not quite up to par with aftermarket options, it blows away the Logic 7 system. The highs are better the lows are fuller and the available volume level without distortion is incomparable to the Logic 7. It's not even close. Just for those of you on the fence with the option and want to stay OEM.

Of course, several times I turned off the stereo just to hear that V8. I don't remember doing that with my 335i.
      05-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
After seeing several threads about how "bad" the "enhanced audio" is on the M3 I was apprehensive that I'd made a poor choice by adding the option. Many claimed it was worse than the Logic 7 system on the regular 3 series, which I have on my current 335i. Well, I had a few weeks with my M3 in Europe and while it's not quite up to par with aftermarket options, it blows away the Logic 7 system. The highs are better the lows are fuller and the available volume level without distortion is incomparable to the Logic 7. It's not even close. Just for those of you on the fence with the option and want to stay OEM.

Of course, several times I turned off the stereo just to hear that V8. I don't remember doing that with my 335i.
Thanks for the positive input! I'm relieved now

The Logic 7 on the 335i I test drove two years ago was a decent system. Anyways, I've never heard of anyone claiming "Enhanced" being worse than Logic 7.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Zeus69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

After two weeks with the "premium" audio, I would say it is "very good", but not at the level of my prior Lexus Mark Levinson system. To my ears, the low end bass "fullness" just isn't there. And I've tweaked my EQ settings based on Pencilgeek's threads awhile back. Adding a 10 inch sub would take care of this but not sure what that would involve and whether I feel like looking into it.
      05-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
New_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I had to do some serious tweaking with the EQ settings on the logic 7 system. If you spend the time, it produces very good sound.

However i wish the subwoofer was a bit tighter and produced more of a balanced sound. It seems too boomy for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

I could not possibly disagree more (sorry).

While I'm not pretentious enough to say that I am an audiophile, I do have a very discerning ear and after spending nearly an hour in a 2011 M3 with the $1900 upgraded stereo I would say that it is clearly inferior to the Logic7 that is found in both my 2007 335i as well as the 2011 335is I also played with at the dealership.

Despite my efforts to tweak deeply into the menus and even into the equalizer, I could not get a natural sounding system. I found the midrange and especially the lower frequency responses to be rather weak, lazy, slow.

For anyone forking out the $1900(!!!), I strongly urge you to listen before buying. I haven't heard the base M3 stereo so I have no idea how it compares.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

I have only driven a 335i a few times, but I can definitely attest to the fact that the Enhanced Premium Sound produces great sound once you tweak the EQ and settings a bit. It's not going to win any bass competitions, but it's clear throughout the ranges and as loud as I ever want it to be.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
chaos888
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus69 View Post
After two weeks with the "premium" audio, I would say it is "very good", but not at the level of my prior Lexus Mark Levinson system. To my ears, the low end bass "fullness" just isn't there. And I've tweaked my EQ settings based on Pencilgeek's threads awhile back. Adding a 10 inch sub would take care of this but not sure what that would involve and whether I feel like looking into it.
I feel the same way you do about the low end fullness. I did notice it becomes better after opening the windows. I'm assuming the closed cabin is acting to dampen the low end. Was wondering if that means the subs need more power? My speaker design knowledge (from the few times I've built speakers) is from long time ago so this is all fuzzy for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer View Post
I could not possibly disagree more (sorry).

While I'm not pretentious enough to say that I am an audiophile, I do have a very discerning ear and after spending nearly an hour in a 2011 M3 with the $1900 upgraded stereo I would say that it is clearly inferior to the Logic7 that is found in both my 2007 335i as well as the 2011 335is I also played with at the dealership.

Despite my efforts to tweak deeply into the menus and even into the equalizer, I could not get a natural sounding system. I found the midrange and especially the lower frequency responses to be rather weak, lazy, slow.

For anyone forking out the $1900(!!!), I strongly urge you to listen before buying. I haven't heard the base M3 stereo so I have no idea how it compares.
I felt the same way you did initially but after a week or two it got better and better. I attribute it to speaker break-in.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Bass is weak, no doubt about it. Name a danish speaker and you will see a pattern. That's just how they like their music.

Overall it's a very nice system that you would be hard pressed to beat the mid-top end for $1900 in aftermarket components + labor. Get a real sub.
Appreciate 0