BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
calgrad22
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Does IB look really bad if you don't detail it often?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I just recently ordered my AW M3 yesterday.

I like AW but I really like IB and LMB. I've heard there are a lot of work involved and personal time spent on an IB/LMB colored m3 to make it look good, is that true? Will taking my car to carwash weekly be suffix or do I really have to do detailing to not make my car look crappy?

Also will tinted windows look good on an M3? My dealer will tint my windows for free If I want it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Usually darker colors show more swirl marks than lighter ones...so I guess so. But the bottom line is that the M3 is just a high-performance coupe/sedan...not a supercar. So if it gets dirty - who the hell cares. It shows you actually use the car, and not just drive it around to look pretty. It's not the car for that purpose IMO.

gluck

P.S. I think tinted windows look great on AW

Last edited by GewoW; 05-31-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgrad22 View Post
I've heard there are a lot of work involved and personal time spent on an IB/LMB colored m3 to make it look good, is that true?
Thanks

AW will show dirt more than the IB, for sure. I've had two "silver" cars in the past (very similar to IB) and they don't show dirt as badly as every white car I see day in and day out.

It's an M3, it'll look gorgeous clean, dirty, filthy, muddy, whatever.

Darker colors (like my current Carbon Black) show swirl marks much more than Grey's, Silvers, etc.

Wash it regularly, I always have my cars hand washed, I wax once or maybe twice a year. It always looks great, don't baby the thing, drive it like you stole it.

And re: tints, it's up to you, if you like it, get them. But I've read of a lot of problems with M3 windows being tinted - they all seem to scratch due to the seal in the door and it not being felt.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
My IB coupe is always dirty coz I don't have time to wash it. I guess it does hide dirt reasonably well.
      06-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

As long as you have a good wax under the grime, you'll look fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

If you can't, or won't, wash at least weekly then consider Space Gray. Grays, silvers, golds, and bronzes hide dirt better than anything.

If you're worries about swirls the absolute WORST thing you could do is to use a car wash. Those brushes will scratch and bruise your paint to holy hell. The scratches can be polished out, the bruises will NEVER be able to be removed.

I have LMB and even though I prefer to wash 2 ro 3 times a week sometimes I can't for 2 or 3 weeks. As long as you use the right tools and proper technique you'll be able to wash it without swirling.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
FredVMI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

My IB E92 requires no special effort to keep it looking good. The level of effort to wash and wax my IB M3 is on par with other cars that I've owned. As other members have mentioned, darker colors are more prone to showing swirl marks. However, that's a non-issue if you know what you're doing. Besides, if you're like most M3 owners, your car will rarely be dirty because you'll be washing it at least once a week! Buy the color you like. The rest will take care of itself!

Past: E30 M3 /// E28 M5 /// E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #8
JCbmw22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Usually darker colors show more swirl marks than lighter ones...so I guess so. But the bottom line is that the M3 is just a high-performance coupe/sedan...not a supercar. So if it gets dirty - who the hell cares. It shows you actually use the car, and not just drive it around to look pretty. It's not the car for that purpose IMO.

gluck

P.S. I think tinted windows look great on AW
+1 I just took the M on a dirt road and I rolled back into town looking like a Jeep commercial. I actually got thumbs up
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
srobmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 IB M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredVMI View Post
My IB E92 requires no special effort to keep it looking good. The level of effort to wash and wax my IB M3 is on par with other cars that I've owned. As other members have mentioned, darker colors are more prone to showing swirl marks. However, that's a non-issue if you know what you're doing. Besides, if you're like most M3 owners, your car will rarely be dirty because you'll be washing it at least once a week! Buy the color you like. The rest will take care of itself!
+1
      06-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #10
calgrad22
Rep

Thanks for all your replies

I was just worried about those swirls would make my car look crappy

I don't really have time to hand wash my own car, so I only could bring my car to the car wash and have someone hand wash my car. I'm pretty sure those people hand washing my car will not know how to take special care of my paint, is that going to severely damage my paint in the long run and make my car look all crappy?

If I do get IB, any recommendations on interior color? I was thinking Silver with alum trim.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
If you can't, or won't, wash at least weekly then consider Space Gray. Grays, silvers, golds, and bronzes hide dirt better than anything.

If you're worries about swirls the absolute WORST thing you could do is to use a car wash. Those brushes will scratch and bruise your paint to holy hell. The scratches can be polished out, the bruises will NEVER be able to be removed.

I have LMB and even though I prefer to wash 2 ro 3 times a week sometimes I can't for 2 or 3 weeks. As long as you use the right tools and proper technique you'll be able to wash it without swirling.
As many have seen me post more than once on this subject, I LOVE to kill old wives tales. As far as car washes go, if you take your car to a "soft-cloth" car wash on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and then twice a year clay-bar and hand wax your car, it will look as good if not better than the guy who insists on hand washing his car once a week.

I ran / owned my own professional detail company with a partner, and believe me, surface dirt being blow along the paint by the air moving past the car as you drive will cause slight surface scratches, and more then any goof soft cloth car wash will, so if you want the paint to look like it did when it came out of the factory, keep it in a air tight garage and never use the thing.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.

Last edited by e46e92love; 06-02-2010 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
If I do get IB, any recommendations on interior color? I was thinking Silver with alum trim.
That's my combo and I think it looks good. Ultimately, I think I'd prefer black to silver though. Actually I like Fox Red with IB a lot too but don't get that unless you want everyone on the entire forum to hate you for being different (I actually DO want that, so I wish I had Fox Red ).
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
As many have seen me post more than once on this subject, I LOVE to kill old wives tails. As far as car washes go, if you take your car to a "soft-cloth" car wash on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and then twice a year clay-bar and hand wax your car, it will look as good if not better than the guy who insists on hand washing his car once a week.

I ran / owned my own professional detail company with a partner, and believe me, surface dirt being blow along the paint by the air moving past the car as you drive will cause slight surface scratches, so if you want the paint to look like it did when it came out of the factor, keep it in a air tight garage and never use the thing.

Cheers,
e46e92

Yes, a soft cloth wash IS better, the problem is finding them. When most people think "car wash" they're thinking of the crap at a gas station. Few will seek out a proper soft cloth facility. Plus, people think they're saving time by using a car wash but if you add up the time it took to drive there, wait for the wash, and then drive home you can EASILY have done it yourself. You will have saved money as well.

The problem with your "old wives tale" example is it assumes that the person washing at home is a complete moron. 2-bucket method with a grit guard, hell even just using the grit guard, if more than sufficient for swirl-free paint even if you're using an Armor-All mitt from Wal-Mart. That's exactly how I wash my wife's Jeep and not a swirl to be found. And oddly, I haven't had a single swirl or scratch caused by my daily trips on the Autobahn. Maybe my car is magical.

BTW, you're not the only one that has made a living detailing. Detailing is NOT hard, is NOT only for the "learned", and the "old wives tale" that needs to be disspelled is that the average Joe can't get fantastic results on his own.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
RichB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e90

I remember the first time I washed my jet black (non metallic) 2002 540i and I left marks in the paint from the cotton towels. Ouch!! I quickly researched and bought microfiber towels. I have an IB M3 and do not have any swirl marks after 6 months. I am not a paint expert, but I it seems the metallic paint helps hide the imperfections that are easy to see on non-metallic paint.

I have improved my car washing over time...microfiber mitt and drying towels, wash as the wind would flow (no circular motion), wash from top to bottom of car, rinse the mitt often, and wash the mitt/towels after each use. I also use separate towels for the main body, inside door jambs and wheel wells. Following these easy steps will help keep your car looking good.

BTW...I have not found IB hard to keep clean. Keep in mind I have owned jet black cars for 10 years, so anything is easier than black.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

IB is an absolute pain to keep in top detailed condition. I guess I'm getting fussier in my old age...

Here's the deal. If you like IB, you will absolutely love it with a glossy shine where the depth of the color is intoxicating. Then you want to keep it that way and well, it's like pulling the thread on a sweater.

I would say that IB is most similar to carbon black. If you don't keep it highly polished the paint shows at only half it's potential. The color just does not radiate in all it's hues unless the car is absolutely clean and glossy.

So, yes you can wash and wax it like any other car, and it will look OK. But once you realize the color has the potential to dazzle..... well, you are committed to detailing the car 3 to 4 times more than a white or ligher flat color. It is truly a love, hate thing.

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I was just worried about those swirls would make my car look crappy

I don't really have time to hand wash my own car, so I only could bring my car to the car wash and have someone hand wash my car. I'm pretty sure those people hand washing my car will not know how to take special care of my paint, is that going to severely damage my paint in the long run and make my car look all crappy?

Thanks
I just saw this post, after replying to your original post...

NO. Do not under any circumstances get IB. It can and will get damaged from improper hand wash, which will happen no matter where you take it. Paint correction from a professional to repair it will easily be around $750 to $1000. Check out what I mean by professional in our detail section. I'm not talking about the detailer at your body shop or dealer. If you don't have the time to do it right as other's have described you are not going to like this color.

I really think AW is the right choice. We have a 10 year old ML430 in White and the paint is still looking great with little extra care. This is our mountain car and now my son's college car so it has never been treated like my M3's. Washes up nicely still, with no trouble. Once a year detail and you are good to go.

Sorry, but with IB you will just be disappointed over time.

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 X5 3.5D
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #17
RichB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post

NO. Do not under any circumstances get IB. It can and will get damaged from improper hand wash, which will happen no matter where you take it. Paint correction from a professional to repair it will easily be around $750 to $1000. Check out what I mean by professional in our detail section. I'm not talking about the detailer at your body shop or dealer. If you don't have the time to do it right as other's have described you are not going to like this color.

I really think AW is the right choice. We have a 10 year old ML430 in White and the paint is still looking great with little extra care. This is our mountain car and now my son's college car so it has never been treated like my M3's. Washes up nicely still, with no trouble. Once a year detail and you are good to go.

Hmmmm.....what color will not get damaged with an improper wash? Hard to believe the IB will be any different than any of the darker colors. $750-$1K?? Seems extreme?

We should all drive white cars since they are easier to hide the marks.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #18
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post

WTF???
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #19
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

dark colored cars FTL
      06-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #20
PoorMan
Hello my name is...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT

Sorry to say imo dark colors are pure dust/dirt magnets.. Looks good but the upkeep is gonna be a chore.. As I've been there..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #21
calgrad22
Rep

I think I'll go with AW
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #22
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Hmmmm.....what color will not get damaged with an improper wash? Hard to believe the IB will be any different than any of the darker colors. $750-$1K?? Seems extreme?

We should all drive white cars since they are easier to hide the marks.
No, 750 to 1000 is not extreme for paint correction. You are paying a professional to correct your paint as close as possible to as new condition. This entails hours of work, paint measurements, tools and techniques beyond the range of most enthusiasts. This is not a $300 detail job. Depending on the severity of the damage you are looking at 15 to 20 hours of work. Again check our detail section for further examples.

The best way to avoid the expense is to never need it in the first place, but that requires a level of care that can be laborious or to some a labor of love. There aren't many in the middle.

I think you are making the right choice with AW. Every time you wash it will look brilliant, bright and shiny- commercial hand washing will not noticeably dull your finish like a darker color. An occasional wax and polish and it will be beautiful for years to come. Jeez, I'm getting jealous now... Get started with that order!

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 X5 3.5D
Appreciate 0