BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
esstee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i Cashmere Silver

Red wine explosion

OK... before I begin, I know I made a stupid mistake.... not sure what I was thinking, but here is what happened. I put a bottle of red wine into my car when it was about 95 degrees outside. When I went back to my car the bottle had exploded.... basically the cork flew out and 3/4 of the bottle of wine had spilled onto my floor mat. Luckilly the floor mat seems to have done a good job and seemed to have sucked most of the red wine into it. I took out the floor mat and have washed it, but am wondering what else I need to do or what my best option is. I can still smell the red wine in my car even with the floor mat out of the car so I am concerned some of the red wine seeped underneath the floor mat. What can I do now?? Thanks in advance for the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Wow..i didnt even know that could happen...it gets hot in Cali and i drink wine all the time..i better watch it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
ok two options here...

1) if the wine is still wet use this option, club soda and lots of it. You basically want to use the club soda to dilute the wine and pull it from the carpet. Pour club soda on, then soak up the soda/wine with a towel (microfiber works well, but anything will do)

2) if the stain is dry... Go pick up the following. a) Dawn or Joy dish soap (These have a chemical in that you will need) b) 3% hydrogen peroxide (basic everyday H2O2 from the Pharmacy dept.) c) distilled water ( you can use tap if you must, but distilled is the best and cheap.

Mix the following ~5-10% soap, 30-35% hydrogen peroxide, the remaining warm (NOT HOT) water. Stir for ~10 secs. use a towel you don't mind getting red wine on.

Since this is a big spot you can pour or spray the liquid on. wait ~20 sec and then plot it up. you only have ~3 mins from the time you mix to the time the solution looses it's effectiveness. I would suggest doing a reasonable size are at a time.

I use this method on white dress shirts all the time. basically the soap is removing the stain, and the hydrogen is working as an agitating solution as it breaks down very rapidly once being mixed with the soap.

GL and PM me if you have any more questions

Edit: you should always have a cooler in your car for the wine, one that can at least keep the spill contained
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Red Stains- Try to find out the source of the stain (Koolaid, Gatorade, Red wine, etc.) It is important to know the source as many old coffee or tea stains can look like red dye stains and many stains if treated improperly can "set" and then be a major task to remove

Removing red stains is one of the toughest to remove because most carpet cleaners or spot removers will not eliminate them. Usually a red food dye is used and if spilled on fabric or upholstery it will dye it. Use Red Stain Remover (TOTL) is a unique formulation that removes super tough red stains. Spray the solution on the stain and agitated with a brush to make sure it has penetrated the fibre. Allow it to sit a few minutes to insure the chemical "action" dissolves the dye.

Alternative process - Place a dry towel over the area and press with a hot iron, as the heat draws the dye to the towel so it can be lifted from the fabric

Either process may take a couple of applications especially if stain is old, or has been allowed to set for some time. Follow with a thorough by hand-cleaning using WooliteŽ Heavy Traffic Carpet Cleaner, or with a carpet extractor. Once carpet is thoroughly dry protect it from future stains (using 303 Fabric Protector)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Red Stains- Try to find out the source of the stain (Koolaid, Gatorade, Red wine, etc.) It is important to know the source as many old coffee or tea stains can look like red dye stains and many stains if treated improperly can "set" and then be a major task to remove

Removing red stains is one of the toughest to remove because most carpet cleaners or spot removers will not eliminate them. Usually a red food dye is used and if spilled on fabric or upholstery it will dye it. Use Red Stain Remover (TOTL) is a unique formulation that removes super tough red stains. Spray the solution on the stain and agitated with a brush to make sure it has penetrated the fibre. Allow it to sit a few minutes to insure the chemical "action" dissolves the dye.

Alternative process - Place a dry towel over the area and press with a hot iron, as the heat draws the dye to the towel so it can be lifted from the fabric

Either process may take a couple of applications especially if stain is old, or has been allowed to set for some time. Follow with a thorough by hand-cleaning using WooliteŽ Heavy Traffic Carpet Cleaner, or with a carpet extractor. Once carpet is thoroughly dry protect it from future stains (using 303 Fabric Protector)

we already know the source of the stain. Red wine.....

but please don't use an iron on red wine, this will cause the tannin (what give the wine it's color) to set permanently. It's not dye, and heat will only make it worse.

I know the soap, hydrogen peroxide, and water is a pain, (post #2) but it works really well.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 04:23 AM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

I accept your point about tannin in red wine, however the type of grape provides the colour and most wines are stored in steel casks, as opposed to oak barrels, which I’m sure you are aware tannin comes from
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've had some pretty amazing results with a carpet cleaner called Folex. Sold at Home Depot among others.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I have a portable Bissel carpet cleaner that works well and they are not very expensive. It takes red wine out no problem however, that wine never dried so that is easier. You spray the cleaning solution on the carpet and let it sit for a bit.Then scrub it and finally suck the dirt/water/cleaner out. It is fairly good at removing stains (my kids have tried to damage our house carpets many times) and it works good. This may help remove the smell problem but I don't know if it will take out the stain. I use my Bissel on our car mats twice a year and they look brand new still. It is amazing to see how much dirt comes out when you suck out the water/cleaner out of the carpet and into the holding tank on the Bissel.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
schmeah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

What vintage was it? Did it at least leave the cabin with a nice bouquet ... well balanced, fruity, oaky ?
Appreciate 0