BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe, AW/Terracotta

BMW wax. Anyone else hate the stuff?

I have tried and tried to get used to the BMW wax that is a part of their car care product line. However, it is just terrible. It doesn't go very far so I am constantly adding more to the applicator, and then buffing it is a nightmare. It just doesn't polish out. Anyone else experience this, or do I just have a bad batch? Any suggestions.

I just picked up the new McGuires NXT wax. However, I only like to use caranuba and I'm not sure the new wax is caranuba now that I am reading further on the lable. Anyone know if it is? Has anyone tried this wax?

Last edited by BMWfan69; 07-04-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

i use the meguiares nxt wax, works really well for me, you wont be disappointed.
      07-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
i use the meguiares nxt wax, works really well for me, you wont be disappointed.
Great thanks so much for the input!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Use Rejex. More expensive, but much easier to apply and buff and lasts MUCH longer...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Why in the christ would u use a "bmw" wax?? The bmw detail package is just like any other dealer installed detailing package, they ALL suck. Dealerships are not detailing body shops, they usually tend to do a shit job and charge alot.

If I do a larger than normal job on the car like I did tonight, I use Klasse AIO to prep the paint after washing, than I use the Pinnacle soverien liquid wax, best stuff ive used so far, no paste bullshit for me. And I also use Chem Guys carnuaba detailing spray which is fantastic afterwards and with washes in between.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #6
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
After being bumper dinged, I'm not so anal about keeping my car clean anymore. In the end, washing and waxing is very time consuming only to have some random idiot ding you by door or license plate, or shopping cart, etc.

Now I'm still going to wash when it's dirty, and wax when the water isn't beading up anymore, but I'm not going to go out and spend a bunch of money on wax, or wash products on a car that I may only possess for about 10 years (and that's a generous estimate). Furthermore, I just won't spend all this time detailing anymore since it could be hit by another car, or careless person just not paying attention while pulling out of a parking space, or someone who can't parallel park.

Maybe it's just me since I was recently dinged, but I just don't see the point in putting in all this time anymore.

/rant
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #7
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
The car is a part of me, i love keeping it nice. Im not a wash every week guy, but when I do it I do it right and well. Its actually relaxing for me washing, polishing, doin the windows n tires n wheels, even though specially now im sweating buckets doin it, I love it. Plus my car looks fantastic and urs is dinged and dirty so HAH
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #8
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
After being bumper dinged, I'm not so anal about keeping my car clean anymore. In the end, washing and waxing is very time consuming only to have some random idiot ding you by door or license plate, or shopping cart, etc.

Now I'm still going to wash when it's dirty, and wax when the water isn't beading up anymore, but I'm not going to go out and spend a bunch of money on wax, or wash products on a car that I may only possess for about 10 years (and that's a generous estimate). Furthermore, I just won't spend all this time detailing anymore since it could be hit by another car, or careless person just not paying attention while pulling out of a parking space, or someone who can't parallel park.

Maybe it's just me since I was recently dinged, but I just don't see the point in putting in all this time anymore.

/rant

I feel for you. Why are people such carless idiots? However, don't let it ruin your enthusiasm for your car. If it does, then the idiots really win! I agree that you don't have to go crazy with it, but there's nothing like the look and feel of a beautiful car right after washing and waxing.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
sgm135
Rep
Drives: sgm 135

I was just recently dinged too.. Not a ding exactly but more of a paint chip. If it was a ding I would have gotten it pulled but to fix the chip right, I would need to repaint the entire door which seems a little silly.
Anyway, my choice of wax is zaino.. Been using the stuff for years and I love it. I can't say if it makes your car shine more than other brands of wax but what I like about it is the fact that it is easy to apply and remove. It also lasts at least a couple of months before water stops beating on the paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan69 View Post
I only like to use caranuba
Have you tried Zymol? Their Creame & Carbon waxes are about 33% carnauba, are easy to apply and protect for at least 3 months. I'm also quite peased with their Treat leather protectant.

http://www.autosupermart.com/store/s...mv_pc=gogzymol

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 05:21 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Hi BMWfan69,

Is this the BMW wax you are talking about?

I have used it - and it is Ok. This stuff is some sort of chemical very watery and has a RainX kind of smell to it. I found it went on well and comes off fine. It is just not a cream but some sort of sealant. Cost me 20 euros at the dealership.

In the end I stopped using it bc it doesn't leave the paint smooth to my touch. I really like a smooth feeling paint.... and this stuff just made the paint sticky to the touch.

Btw... I used the 100% cotton towel provided with this wax. I never had any issues with that.

My all time new favorite wax/sealer is Menzerna Power Lock Sealant! . This stuff goes on easy and comes off without any dust or effort! And it gives the car a nice wet look to it. Leaves the paint silky smoth too. I love this stuff. seems to last a long time and you use only a few oz to apply to the whole car.

I bought mine from a sponser of this site, Detailer's Domain:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/menze...ersealant.aspx

I also use a 100% carnuba wax (Sonax pro) ontop of menzerna sealer. This gives an even wetter deeper look to the paint!

Btw.... I can not give Detailer Domain guys higher marks in service and advice. They know thier stuff. Every order has gotten to me in about a week to my APO here(I'm in Germany). Something some of the "other" venders here, have found hard to do. A big thumbs up to DD.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Hi BMWfan69,

Is this the BMW wax you are talking about?

I have used it - and it is Ok. This stuff is some sort of chemical very watery and has a RainX kind of smell to it. I found it went on well and comes off fine. It is just not a cream but some sort of sealant. Cost me 20 euros at the dealership.

In the end I stopped using it bc it doesn't leave the paint smooth to my touch. I really like a smooth feeling paint.... and this stuff just made the paint sticky to the touch.

Btw... I used the 100% cotton towel provided with this wax. I never had any issues with that.

My all time new favorite wax/sealer is Menzerna Power Lock Sealant! . This stuff goes on easy and comes off without any dust or effort! And it gives the car a nice wet look to it. Leaves the paint silky smoth too. I love this stuff. seems to last a long time and you use only a few oz to apply to the whole car.

I bought mine from a sponser of this site, Detailer's Domain:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/menze...ersealant.aspx

I also use a 100% carnuba wax (Sonax pro) ontop of menzerna sealer. This gives an even wetter deeper look to the paint!

Btw.... I can not give Detailer Domain guys higher marks in service and advice. They know thier stuff. Every order has gotten to me in about a week to my APO here(I'm in Germany). Something some of the "other" venders here, have found hard to do. A big thumbs up to DD.

Yes, that's the stuff. Yes, I find the same thing. It doesn't behave or feel like a wax. I've tried to get used to it, but I just don't like it. Thanks for the tip I'll look into the sonax and menzerna sealer. I have never used a sealer and don't know what to expect. Sounds like quite few folks on the forum use it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yes, sealants work very well, much, much better than carnauba waxes, at least in terms of durability and even in regards to ease of application and removal. They also cost much less per application.

For the Zaino user above, it's time to try some of the newer products. I'd held out for years with Z2 and Z2pro, but have recently tried Menzerna Power Lock and Blackfire Wet Diamond and once I use up my remaining Z2pro, I won't be ordering more.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Living in Hawaii it rains terribly every day on my end of the island and I stopped waxing all together except when I can afford to have someone else do it for me. I don't have a garage so it is outside all the time and my part of the island along with the North Shore is incredibly dusty. I wash once a week, more often within that week if it really needs it, but with the elements and BMW's incredibly PIA brake dust issues, I don't care so much either these days. I did buy a clay bar, wax, applicator pads, etc. etc., but its hard finding time and when I do there are so many other worth while things I would rather do. I have a black car though, everyone told me so, well now I know so. To those who do take care of their cars and make them sparkly and shiny I appreciate the photos, its great eye candy.
      07-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
For the Zaino user above, it's time to try some of the newer products. I'd held out for years with Z2 and Z2pro, but have recently tried Menzerna Power Lock and Blackfire Wet Diamond and once I use up my remaining Z2pro, I won't be ordering more.
Just curious, what makes Menzerna or Blackfire better in your opinion than the Zaino? I've been using Zaino for years now and it's kept my previous black car in perfect shape with no swirls and perfectly smooth paint for 3 years straight. 3 years and 35000 miles later it was still getting compliments for it's mirror shine. When it rains, you can literally see the rain drops sliding off the car as you drive. When I wash, I don't even need to use a towel to dry as the water from the hose just slides off the car leaving it completely dry.

My previous car + Zaino:

Is Menz/Blackfire better because of appearance? Or is it ease of use? Longevity? I'm open to trying something new, but need to know why :P
      07-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #16
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I've only used both for a little over a month each, but they both seem to be much less sensitive than Zaino. I loved Zaino, but never liked how long it takes to fully cure (seemingly weeks) and how sensitive it is to water spots and bird droppings. I think Z2pro was a big improvement in terms of being more natural looking than Z2, but both Blackfire and Menzerna offer a more carnauba like appearance.

I also like being able to skip the chemist act that Z1/ZFX always required, being able to go straight from the bottle is a plus, but the real improvement has been in resistance to water marks and bird bombs. I haven't had a chance to really test longevity of either of the new guys, but generally find that proper prep work has as much to do with synthetic durability than actual product. I seem to get 6+ months out of Zaino or Klasse and don't expect BF or Menz to be any less effective.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
You can go straight from the bottle with Z2 Pro as well, I've done so many times when I run out of ZFX. Don't even notice a difference. Maybe I'll give Menzerna a shot since I keep hearing good things about it.

I tried a Carnauba wax (Pinnacle Souveran) that's supposedly one of the good ones for black, but I didn't like it. It was very easy to apply, wipe on and wipe off, no waiting for haze or anything like that. Problem is, it leaves beads, I hate beading. I never understood why beading is a positive thing, I've always thought water sheeting off completely was much better than water beading and staying on the surface to leave spots.
      07-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I use Meguiares premium quick detailer in-between waxing (apply after a car wash of course). Waxing is time consuming. I only wax my car once every 4-6 months.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
You can go straight from the bottle with Z2 Pro as well, I've done so many times when I run out of ZFX. Don't even notice a difference. Maybe I'll give Menzerna a shot since I keep hearing good things about it.

I tried a Carnauba wax (Pinnacle Souveran) that's supposedly one of the good ones for black, but I didn't like it. It was very easy to apply, wipe on and wipe off, no waiting for haze or anything like that. Problem is, it leaves beads, I hate beading. I never understood why beading is a positive thing, I've always thought water sheeting off completely was much better than water beading and staying on the surface to leave spots.
Um, nope! When you succesfully polish and wax a car, it SHOULD bead the water, if the water is just sheeting off the windows n paint its adhering more to the surface rather then just sliding off. Just watch, do a good wax job, again I recommend the pinnacle sovereign, and spray it with water all over the car and then drive about 65mph for a mile or so, ur entire car will be dry

Specially when you do a finishing detailing spray after the wax, good thing bout the pinnacle is there is no drying time bullshit, just let it sit after applying for about 15 min and its good, paste wax is bullshit, such a waste of time and energy imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #20
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I've only used both for a little over a month each, but they both seem to be much less sensitive than Zaino. I loved Zaino, but never liked how long it takes to fully cure (seemingly weeks) and how sensitive it is to water spots and bird droppings. I think Z2pro was a big improvement in terms of being more natural looking than Z2, but both Blackfire and Menzerna offer a more carnauba like appearance.

I also like being able to skip the chemist act that Z1/ZFX always required, being able to go straight from the bottle is a plus, but the real improvement has been in resistance to water marks and bird bombs. I haven't had a chance to really test longevity of either of the new guys, but generally find that proper prep work has as much to do with synthetic durability than actual product. I seem to get 6+ months out of Zaino or Klasse and don't expect BF or Menz to be any less effective.
Agree with Redbread on all points. My biggest gripe with Zaino is I couldn't get it to apply properly no matter how I tried- it always streaked. Plus, as Red said also, a bird bomb would eat through the Z in about 5 mins.

I'm at the point where I like ease of use....Blackfire gives me great shine, good longevity, and good value all in an easy to use package. That's worth it in my opinion. But like I always say- I will not bash Zaino becuase I know it's a good product, it's just not for me.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #21
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Actually, in my experience, I notice the white water spots after a rain MORE with the souveran because the water sticks on the surface. It isn't nearly as smooth/slick to the touch than Zaino either. With Zaino, the surface is completely dry, dry > beads.

No drying time isn't actually a benefit if you think about it. Zaino takes 15 minutes to dry. By the time I cover the whole car with Zaino, it's been longer than 15 minutes and I can start wiping off. It takes the same amount of time to apply.

I don't have much trouble with birds, and I keep Zaino Z6 or Z8 in the trunk at all times if I do get bird droppings. My car is also almost never parked in the open for more than 30 minutes at a time. I'll try Menz or Blackfire sometime just to give it a shot.
      07-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #22
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Well honestly I think uve got the whole process of waxing a bit skewed guy..

First off, using any wax you should work one panel at a time. When I say it takes bout 15 minutes for the pinnacle, I mean it takes that long for it to adhere to the paint, I wipe it off almost as soon as I wipe it on, theres zero need to leave the whole application on the paint until the whole car is done, the wax itself is on the paint pretty much as soon as you apply it, thats the beauty of it.

And if you're seeing white spots after a rainstorm when using that wax, either the car was sitting out in the rain and then exposed to sun or this was atleast 2-3 weeks after your application..or you just didnt apply it correctly although its not that difficult. Hardest thing I feel is polishing and I do mine by hand, waxing and detailing after is easy.

Need to realize if your car sits outside all the time like mine, it will spot for sure after a week after waxing, the sun is insanely powerful, its basically like an oven, specially now when its 90-100 degrees blazing sun, so if you get rain overnight and that water is still on the car (which it will be) and the sun comes out, alot of that water will dry to the paint. No different kind of wax will just cause all the water to just fall off the car and windows when it rains, doesnt work like that unless your going 80mph right after the rainstorm in cloudy weather.

Yes rain water will cause spots cuz of the salts, just like washing ur car with untreated water will do the same, it will happen, but 9/10 times even with those spots, as long as you wash the car every 2-3 weeks, they will not even reach below the clearcoat. And a sealant for ensure that even further, sure even after a sealant you will see spots, but take a good detailing spray and wipe that off, ull see it disappear.

Trust me im pretty damn ocd about detailing my car, i do it all by hand and I hate spots, etc. I dont expect every time i wash or wax for it to be perfect but pretty damn near, cuz honestly no matter what u do theres always going to be 1 or 2 spots where theres a smudge or spot gone into the clear coat that will be alot harder to get out, but I dont worry too much about that. I have a prof do a full job on the car once or twice a year, machine polish and all, gets all that harder stuff out and im fine.

Yes im long winded but the point is with any wax, water will still create spots if the car is left outside in the sun, etc. It happens, that is why I cannot fucking wait until I get a place with a garage so I have to deal with that SO much less
Appreciate 0