BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
OhDasCrazy
SuperNoob
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 Sonic & Knuckles 135i

DCT vs STEP

So I know about the faster shift (pretty much instant from what I read). But besides that is there anything different between the 2?

I read a lot of different comments on the DCT, and there are people calling it an automatic, but then someone responding to that saying it is not an automatic.

Can anyone explain to me why they believe it is or is not an automatic? Most people considered STEP automatic. Aren't they pretty much the same thing besides the faster shifts or is there no "D" to select on the DCT? I have never driven it so I don't know. Around this forum I have read that people who have been driving MT for pretty much their whole life switching over to the DCT. Is this simply for the faster shift or is this truly a MT without a clutch? Put it in 1st and if you dont hit the shifter or paddles you stay in first?

Just wanted to clear all my thoughts up. Someday I might get tired of that clutch pedal and wanna jump into a DCT car? Thanks for teaching me a little something!
      07-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
See the following link -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_clutch_transmission

The DCT is a computer controlled manual gearbox without a clutch pedal and two clutches.

The Steptronic is an automatic transmission with a manual selection mode and using a torque converter see the following link -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manumatic

They are two totally different types of transmissions.
      07-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

It's not the classic automatic. It is a manual gearbox with an ECU controlled clutch. I think the general term will resort to "Double Clutch" or "DCT". The glorious thing is you can't get a slush box in the 135.

In manual mode, you may be able to keep up with Mark Weber.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
TiM235i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
DCT is AMAZING

I ended up going with a manual because I love rowing the gears, but I have never been as impressed by any automatic transmission as I was with the DCT. Amazing is the best word I have for it -- well done again, BMW!

2015 M235i
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
OhDasCrazy
SuperNoob
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 Sonic & Knuckles 135i

So the DCT is more of an advanced or upgraded automatic transmission. Im sure it is way better than the "slush box" as it was referred to, but it has a "D" selection and shifts automatically. I still would not consider it a manual transmission for that fact. Are people referring to it as a manual because of the clutches? The fact that the clutches are controlled by the ECU only means to me that the operator has to do nothing more than press on the gas once in Drive, and the ECU will shift to the next gear automatically. I guess I can understand not wanting to categorize it as an auto because it is better than autos of the past. But in the end I would still consider it an automatic.

Not gonna call my cell phone a camera because I have the option to take pictures with it. And wouldn't call my transmission a manual because I have the option to shift the gears manually.

Just seems to me like the people who dont consider it an automatic just dont want to refer to their car as an "automatic". The DCT from what I hear is a pretty damn fine piece of machinery. If you got a DCT you have the upgraded version of a automatic, go with that!
      07-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Never had the pleasure of driving one but everyone seems to rave about it. I am going to give one a go next time I stop by the dealer. I love my STEP but the DCT ups the ante.
      07-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I don't miss my pride. All I need now is a sport bike with DCT or a spin with Kim, the last 2 things in the world that could out do the DCT 1er.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
Sit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

We just got rid of a Passat with a DCT transmission. Took some getting use to as at least with the VW, it would studder very slightly at start and stop, as if you were just a bit slow on the clutch. The other thing was that on hills, it would roll back if you were not quick on the gas, as in roll all the way down a freakin hill. Not like a true auto at all. Have no idea if BMW is the same way or not. I realize there is a bit of quality difference from VW to BMW, but if for some reason I got another VW (never will) I would not get the DCT as folks on VW forums have had issues with them. Just give me a true MT or AT.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit View Post
The other thing was that on hills, it would roll back if you were not quick on the gas, as in roll all the way down a freakin hill. Not like a true auto at all. Have no idea if BMW is the same way or not.
Late model 1 & 3 series BMWs have a feature which delays any hill rollback for two seconds after releasing the brake - a neat feature, once you get accustomed to it.

It is standard on all MT models, and (IIRC) also Steptronic models. I would assume it also comes standard with the DCT.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

It isn't on ATs. I've rolled back on some hills in Syracuse.

I really like the step in my 135. It's easily the best slushbox that I've ever driven. I like it a lot more than the dsg Audi I test drove

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Traditional automatics are hydraulic pumps. They utilize a torque converter hydraulic coupling to drive a mainshaft surrounded by planetary gears.
Some are, some aren't. There were also the fluid coupling based units such as Chrysler's semi-automatic M-6 and GM's Hydramatic, as well as CVTs.

Personally, since completely automated shifting is available, and it has replaced the Steptronic on the 135i, I'd call it an automatic.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

DCT is an automatic transmission in every sense of the word. It shifts completely by itself with no driver involvement.

It IS NOT the same as a torque converter based auto though, which is what the Step is. The reason enthusiasts have never embraced traditional automatics is because of the loss of feel due to the fluid coupling (torque converter). The DCT doesn't have that issue. The engine is directly coupled to the rest of the driveline just as it is in a car with a manual transmission.

The DCT offers the benefit of automatic shifting without the loss in efficiency and feel that comes with a traditional torque converter based auto, and is also capable of shifting much faster than even the best driver with a manual gearbox. There's a good reason this type of transmission is being used extensively in exotics.

The downside is there's less driver involvement, and the loss of the satisfaction that comes from rowing your own gears. The DCT is also a little heavier than a manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Interesting. The '08 manual implies it is standard on all '08 1 series as it describes the "Drive off assistant" but does not indicate it is an optional feature, i.e. only found on MT models.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Count me in as another guy that wouldn't get a steptronic / DCT unless I'm I have no other option for the 1.

I don't doubt that the DCTs are faster and more effective shifts than I can ever achieve, but there is something about having your hand and foot controlling the power of the car.

The bigger the car, the more likely I'd go for the auto - but small cars with well engineered manual transmissions are one of life's great pleasures.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
bimmerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
DCT is an automatic transmission in every sense of the word. It shifts completely by itself with no driver involvement.

It IS NOT the same as a torque converter based auto though, which is what the Step is. The reason enthusiasts have never embraced traditional automatics is because of the loss of feel due to the fluid coupling (torque converter). The DCT doesn't have that issue. The engine is directly coupled to the rest of the driveline just as it is in a car with a manual transmission.

The DCT offers the benefit of automatic shifting without the loss in efficiency and feel that comes with a traditional torque converter based auto, and is also capable of shifting much faster than even the best driver with a manual gearbox. There's a good reason this type of transmission is being used extensively in exotics.

The downside is there's less driver involvement, and the loss of the satisfaction that comes from rowing your own gears. The DCT is also a little heavier than a manual.
Another downside I would consider before buying a DCT 135 is that nobody knows the limits of the transmission yet.. Will be interesting to see if it can handle the absurd amounts of TQ fully modded N54s are displacing as well as the step can.

Easily the quickest shifting transmission compared to the 6MT/Step tho
      07-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Quote:

I really like the step in my 135. It's easily the best slushbox that I've ever driven. I like it a lot more than the dsg Audi I test drove
you have it lol...trust me. were you in auto or manual? If you were in manual you have to be in the right gear IE Sometimes on a hill second is too high of a gear for hill assist to hold you. But if you're in 1st gear it will....
if you were in D it should do it automatically.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
...Left Foot Brake...
I really hope you are kidding. I'm sure you are, but you never know around here.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhDasCrazy View Post

Can anyone explain to me why they believe it is or is not an automatic? Most people considered STEP automatic. Aren't they pretty much the same thing besides the faster shifts or is there no "D" to select on the DCT? I have never driven it so I don't know. Around this forum I have read that people who have been driving MT for pretty much their whole life switching over to the DCT. Is this simply for the faster shift or is this truly a MT without a clutch? Put it in 1st and if you dont hit the shifter or paddles you stay in first?
I agree with Jeremy. Automatic = you start the car, put the transmission in gear, and as you drive, the transmission shifts into the appropriate gear automatically without any other involvement by the driver. This is true whether or not it also may have a mode whereby the automatic shift feature can be changed to one necessitating manual gear selection.

Manual transmission = you must manually (by hand) change the gears as you drive necessitating using a foot operated pedal to disengage the clutch plate to allow gear change. It can only be operated in this manner. (It is technically possible to rev match, and shift gears without disengaging the clutch plate). Many usually think of a the gear shift lever on the floor, but there was a time when many manufacturers put the shift lever on the steering column. Presumably to allow the front seat to comfortably seat 3 passengers. It was cumbersome to shift quickly.

Every previously owned BMW I have possessed, had either 4 ( '71 2800 CS), 5 ('81 323i, '88 M3, '95 M3 LTW or 6 speed ('02 M3) manual transmissions. After driving the ZF Steptronic 6 speed automatic, I was so impressed, that I had to have it. When the dual clutch 7 speed automatic (DCT) came out, I did a test drive in the new Z4. I wish my car had it instead, as it is a step above the Steptronic.

That said, there will always be a place for a clutch operated manual transmission. For many reasons, but primarily because it is enjoyable to drive a manual. Not that the automatics aren't enjoyable, but it is a different type of experience.
      07-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #19
Sit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

HMMM our 2010 128 has the hill assist, holds the car for 2 seconds according to the book, seems quicker though, we have steptronic. As for VW, their DCT has a switchable hill assist of sorts, you can activiate at will or program the car to always have it on. Once car is stopped, it maintains the same pressure as the driver had on the brake and holds the car. So in traffic, stop and then remove foot if you desire, ready to go, just press gas. Same on the hills, just have to make sure car is stopped and not a gravity point stopping car and you dont have enough brake to actually hold car because it will then let car roll as it is just keepind your minimal pressure on the system. I personally did not like it as it added to the jerky take off. Even with it off, still jerked a bit and I did not notice any faster take offs with the DCT tranny. As for shifting and speed once moving, was nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #20
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterfan1230 View Post
you have it lol...trust me. were you in auto or manual? If you were in manual you have to be in the right gear IE Sometimes on a hill second is too high of a gear for hill assist to hold you. But if you're in 1st gear it will....
if you were in D it should do it automatically.
No I never tak those hills in d. I was in first and the car rolled back. I wasn't expecting it and thought my car was broken again. Lol

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #21
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Quote:
No I never tak those hills in d. I was in first and the car rolled back. I wasn't expecting it and thought my car was broken again. Lol
haha i garauntee you if you were in second gear it wouldnt have.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I really hope you are kidding. I'm sure you are, but you never know around here.
There's nothing wrong with left foot braking...