ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

State traffic/speeding laws

Don't know if this has already been posted, but I came across this in my research for cross-state driving laws:

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Cool
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

pretty interesting, cool
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
LHB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP

I drove in Montana several times during the 90s when there were no daytime speed limits. At the time I didn't have a high performance car, and found myself doing about 80mph most of the time, which seemed to be about the going rate of traffic on I90. If anything, traffic moves even faster now, and no drive through Billings would be complete without seeing the Montana Highway Patrol lighting up the skies by pulling drivers over on both sides of the interstate where the speed limit falls from 75 to 55.

Below is a link to an interesting article about the relationship between speed limits and traffic fatalities, which should make even more obvious than it already is that most traffic laws having to do with speed are more about raising revenues and political posturing than they are about public safety.

http://www.motorists.org/press/monta...safety-paradox

I regret to say that I'm old enough to have also lived through the period of mandatory nationwide 55 mph speed limits. I regret even more that - since I'm thinking about it - I can't get the sound of that annoying song by Sammy Hagar "I Can't Drive 55" out of my head.

Back then, there really wasn't much of a market for high horsepower cars with tire shredding torque. Think about the cars that BMW launched during the period, and how they seemed directed toward making driving more interesting when you often couldn't even get gas on the weekends, and had to be content to drive at absurdly low speeds on the highway.
Appreciate 0