ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

Cool flirting with a new missus (sdrive35is)

so, i had an invigorating 6am drive 150 miles east to san antonio this past saturday to attend the local coffee and rides. after being spoiled silly by some truly magnificent exotics and classics (ferrari f40, acura nsx, jaguar e-type just to name a few), i visited bmw of san antonio to purchase some oem oil and filter for a friend. i took the opportunity to explore a brand new 2011 sdrive35is, just for kicks.

i've done a search for any comparisons between the z4m's and the new sdrive35is' here on the e85/e86 zpost forums, but came up short. the disclaimer here will obviously be a bias toward the z4m, since i so happen to have parted with a nice sum of my hard earned money to be the sole benefactor of one just recently.

no time wasted with the by-now-oft-compared exterior lines (i'm rather dismayed how m-sport packages are tagged on with a false impression of true ///m pedigree, unlike audi which distinguishes it's s-line, s series and rs series cars distinctly). still not a convert and feel the new e89 chassis design to be a little bit too much of an evolution of the e85/e86's lines. the rear end leaves some question marks - rounded off rear wheel arches look less muscular, m-sport diffuser has awkward angular design. front fascia is an improvement and definitely carries more aggression and 'i-mean-business' look, accentuated well by an appropriate m-sport front bumper. the hard-top convertible design really leaves the cockpit area looking too small in proportion with the rest of the car from the outside.

inside is another matter entirely, however. completely redesigned, the new e89 interior is a definite step-up, and coupled with the optional extended leather package, would be both very luxurious and comfortable. the driver's position is familiar, visibility is adequate, comfort is bountiful and the feel is solid. not a fan of new-fangled electronics and such, so the dct + electronic parking brake kind of threw me off. paddle shifters are the + and - on both sides type, which honestly doesn't quite work as well as the true f1-style left - right +. car was equipped with the newest idrive and still felt too convoluted. it's unfair of me to judge based off a 15 minute test drive, but i was definitely fumbling with the idrive control knob to figure out how to switch off the stereo. turns out all i had to do was depress the same little button on the stereo system's head unit!

with any uninteresting fm radio transmissions out of the way, i was quickly seduced by the tuned exhaust note exclusive to the 35is. noticeably deeper than the z4m with more pronounced crackles and burbles, not to mention that much louder (this should have been how the z4m's exhausts were tuned from the factory). started off in standard 'd' mode with suspension in 'normal', and the ride was plush and unexciting. into 's' mode and 'sport +', the latter switching off dsc automatically, and a realization of the expected higher revs, quicker shifts, stiffer suspension and more responsive throttle.

the 35is has an overboost function activated by depressing the go-fast pedal past a 'click', ala the literal 'floor the pedal'. seven seconds of an extra 3psi or so, equating to 35 ft-lbs of luscious torque, and the new e89 really screams. pulls harder than the z4m's from way down low (1500rpm), and coupled with one very sensuously tuned exhaust note, thrills the senses. power just keeps on coming, letting off only at the very top end (above 6000rpm). disappointingly, dct downshifts are not the quickest and don't quite revmatch accurately (jerky downshifts in sport+). toyed sparingly with manual mode and the 7th gear would definitely help on the highway, but otherwise just standard playstation fare with flappy pedals. the speed-variable electric steering also left much to be desired in terms of feel, and the z4m's thicker, hydraulic setup wins here without a doubt.

overall, somewhat mixed feelings and really didn't have a chance to push the e89 chassis through the twisties, where it's been derided in reviews as being too heavy and too soft. i test drove one with the optional 19s and it still rode softer than the z4m even in sport+ settings. bmw has taken the z4 range up a notch in terms of luxury and refinement, but has also lost a bit of the raw and visceral nature of the original series. i found myself missing the craziness of the m coupe's outrageously-stiff chassis, tt phenomenal s54 howl and pull up high in the revs, the superior steering feel and feedback, and of course, tt purposefully chiseled ass to-die-for.

the new e89 sdrive35is may be quicker, more powerful off the line and more luxurious, but i still found myself wanting my m coupe at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Well written. I've been meaning to try out an E89. I thought they looked pretty sweet when they first came out, but the more I see them the more awkward I think they look. Some angles (from behind, as you mention) simply aren't flattering. The Z4M coupe is still the highest evolution of Bangle-era exterior design IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

nice write up. I'll admit I wans't a Z-series fan before I saw my baby in person, so the E89 doesn't do it for me, aesthetically. I know it's probably only a few mm wider or inches at most, but it just LOOKS flatter and wider. I saw one in person while I was in Austin and just was not excited about it, like say when I see a Z4 driving by. It didn't look like a BMW from afar until it got close enough for me to see the kidneys.

That whole DCT tranny just sounds SO much more complicated than it needs to be!! I read up a LOT on that while I was online-shopping, building my own M3 earlier this year. First off, I wanted the clutch. that's half the fun of driving a manual! and the second half...well, obviously shifting. it feels good to shift when YOU want to shift, whether it's right at that 7900-8K mark or 3-4K.

All in all, nice write-up. Glad I got the car I did.
      09-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
I like the new ones... Wife likes the hard drop top. If I had the coin I would have no issues with owning one.

r4gs - Thanks for the write-up!

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I will admit the e89 is a beautifully designed car, but after being inside and poking around one, I noticed the plastic is that cheap stuff they are using in the E9x series and the plastic behind the seats is especially fisher price-like, creaks and squeaks worse than than any previous BMW I've been in. It was a disappointment for that price tag.
      09-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
My nextdoor neighbor has an E89 and has experienced a fuel pump failure already (I can't believe this is still an issue since 2007). We drove each others cars and he likes my E86 MC much better. I have to agree -- the E89's clutch and shifter are way too light, and the car just feels disconnected to the road. It's a nice luxurious cruiser, but more appropriate for the Mercedes crowd.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

dekaliber - i feel the e89's only shine appearance-wise with the top dropped. otherwise, it just looks squashed.

007mcoupe - when i tracked my m coupe a month ago, i was kind of wishing i had a dct with proper f1-style paddles (since i'm rather hopeless at heel-toeing and it isn't particularly easy to do so either in the m). my mum drives an '07 audi 2.0t cabrio with dsg, and tt's an exceptional transmission to be paired with. downshifts are lightning quick and accurate.

bhoch - the sdrive35is i tested stickered for $69k. ouch.

thekurgan - am not particularly impressed with the quality of materials used in the m coupe's really, and for me, the revamped design and layout of the e89's somewhat more appealing. i did notice the same cheap-feel plastics used throughout the cabin, and hence why i'd think the extended leather option would be extremely classy. without it though, even the door bolsters aren't in leather like the m's have.

45acp - hpfp has been a huge issue with the n54's, and i understand bmw's extended the warranty for this up till 10 years. i'd need more time with the e89 to pass judgment on how it handles, but it's definitely been redesigned for the more luxury-oriented crowd.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I wonder how heavy one of these would be with a stationary hardtop, a la Merc SL Black.

Moreover, I really wonder if they will stuff the 4.0L v8 from the m3 in the car as described one sentence above. Bring it please, BMW.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
the sdrive35is i tested stickered for $69k. ouch.

i did notice the same cheap-feel plastics used throughout the cabin, and hence why i'd think the extended leather option would be extremely classy. without it though, even the door bolsters aren't in leather like the m's have.
For 69K the should have extended leather as standard equipment. I think the materials in my Z4MR are not as nice as the S2000 I had before it, but for the extra 15k involved to buy the E89si, it shouldn't be an issue...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post

bhoch - the sdrive35is i tested stickered for $69k. ouch.
man, that's just crazy. Likely be never that I spend that on a car.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

a minor correction - the exact car i tested is listed for $71,075 on the website, but the sales executive, a very pleasant croatian man, quoted me $69k. options are 19" alloys ($1200), navi ($2100), premium package ($2500), premium sound ($1800), heated seats ($500) and comfort access ($500). pricey indeed.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Good review and pretty much what I expected. Although the DCT really does work quite well--if the right software version is installed that is! Once I got a good version installed on the old M3 the DCT was really a wonderful thing. I'm not talking about involvement of MT vs. flappy shifters, just that when it's working correctly it's unbelievably fast and very accurate. (R4GS--you must have gotten one with an older flash or they haven't sorted things out yet with the new zed. About June/July of this year they sorted it out with the M3's DCT...it took a couple years and I'd expect that experience would cross over--then again maybe not.)

The new N55 has the same HPFP issues as the N54. The HPFP issue is just unbelievable--failure after failure after failure. Until this and the carbon build up issues are resolved I'd never go near a DFI engine. I'm very familiar with the N54's boatload of off the line torque and disappointing top end performance--it doesn't float my boat like the S54 or the S65....Lots of "lazy" low end torque grandma can "drive" without actually needing to drive the car (e.g. find the right gear). Just get the DCT or even MT (do they even offer one) and leave it in a pretty high gear and your good to go. Which is just what BMW is catering too now, appeal for the masses and not enthusiasts who actually enjoy driving....

BMW has left the building for true enthusiasts folks--all the more reason to enjoy and keep your Z4Ms. They ain't gonna make anything like it--light, responsive, raw, and fun to drive--anytime in the near future.

Last edited by Finnegan; 09-28-2010 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
ebruder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

BMW's website's specs for the Z4 lists the "unladen" weight at 3549 lb.

EB
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebruder View Post
BMW's website's specs for the Z4 lists the "unladen" weight at 3549 lb.

EB
Looks like Edmunds has it at that too. I could have sworn I saw several sources with 3,900 lbs. Thanks for pointing out that error.

I stand corrected--will edit the previous post.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
ebruder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Looks like Edmunds has it at that too. I could have sworn I saw several sources with 3,900 lbs. Thanks for pointing out that error.

I stand corrected--will edit the previous post.

Regardless, it is still a heavier car than the Z4 coupe', which itself is a bit heavier than would be my ideal.

When my MCoupe's lease ended, there was no question in my mind as whether to purchase my 3 year old M or a new Z4. I like coupe's, and BMW stopped making the Z4 coupe'. I am still very, very happy with my car.

EB
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

the whole emphasis on bmw's weight gain across it's model lineups has been well-documented, and as much driving the e89 certainly did not make me feel like it was heavier, i'm guessing it's going to have negatively affected the new z4's handling and balance somewhat.

^i'm a fan of coupes as well as i tend toward a conservative nature and feel wary every time i drive my mum's audi cabrio. plus the very simple fact of the matter that most coupes always look better than their convertible counterparts, hard or soft top.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #17
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I will admit the e89 is a beautifully designed car, but after being inside and poking around one, I noticed the plastic is that cheap stuff they are using in the E9x series and the plastic behind the seats is especially fisher price-like, creaks and squeaks worse than than any previous BMW I've been in. It was a disappointment for that price tag.
The E85/E86 has cheap plastic too. Usually BMW is pretty good about using good materials, but their roadsters have always had cheap materials in them for whatever reason.
      09-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #18
RickC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi Coupe and Z4

Nice write up. On a test drive to me it just felt big and heavy. It felt like I was driving a 3 series not at Z. Nice interior but not that sporty. Higher cowl and big hood.
Appreciate 0