BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

Mporium BMW

11-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

Exclamation SAD DAY!!!!!

Hey guys,

So i was driving on the highway yesterday and as i was driving i started to hear a clonking noise coming from the back of the car. I pulled over to look nothing was hanging or broken that i can see. I keep driving and everytime i push the gas its like something metal is clicking and its loud... i have a feeling it might be my differential or drive shaft because it only makes that noise when its moving.... i havent launched it or done anything crazy like that. Will this be covered in warranty?? i have an appt tom ... i have owned the car for about 2 months now and it has been in for service at least 4 to 5 times.. I love the car when it has no issues but this is starting to bother me... any thoughts???

2011 E90, 6 speed, technology package, black 220 rims , EDC, moon roof, matt black grills, matte side grills, 15% carbon tints, carbon fiber M pedals, ACS roof wing, IND painted reflectors, mfest black gloss m3badges, Mfest side window stickers, Tuner MS 15mm spacers, Carbon fiber M foot pedals, MS air filter, RPI air scoops, euro switch mod
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCM3ryder View Post

Hey guys,

So i was driving on the highway yesterday and as i was driving i started to hear a clonking noise coming from the back of the car. I pulled over to look nothing was hanging or broken that i can see. I keep driving and everytime i push the gas its like something metal is clicking and its loud... i have a feeling it might be my differential or drive shaft because it only makes that noise when its moving.... i havent launched it or done anything crazy like that. Will this be covered in warranty?? i have an appt tom ... i have owned the car for about 2 months now and it has been in for service at least 4 to 5 times.. I love the car when it has no issues but this is starting to bother me... any thoughts???
Does it sound like soup cans dragging on the ground? If so, you have the notorious case of rock bits stuck in your (brake?) shields, and you have absolutely nothing to worry about. This has happened to be a few times, and rocks typically get knocked out after a couple of days. The only thing it really affects is your ego .
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
probably muffler if you hear the sound while the car is moving and under load..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Chauncey.Bishop
Big girls don't cry.
India
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

2011? don't you have warranty?
      11-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Isn't your car only a few months old?
      11-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLuSioNz X View Post
2011? don't you have warranty?
Yea i doo taking it in tomorrow... just hate having to deal with bringing it in again

2011 E90, 6 speed, technology package, black 220 rims , EDC, moon roof, matt black grills, matte side grills, 15% carbon tints, carbon fiber M pedals, ACS roof wing, IND painted reflectors, mfest black gloss m3badges, Mfest side window stickers, Tuner MS 15mm spacers, Carbon fiber M foot pedals, MS air filter, RPI air scoops, euro switch mod
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
Isn't your car only a few months old?
Yes it is!!!! smh lol...

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Chauncey.Bishop
Big girls don't cry.
India
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Yea i doo taking it in tomorrow... just hate having to deal with bringing it in again
Why? You get trained professionals working on your car for free. All while sitting inside a well heated building, with food and drinks, being near hot receptionists at a nice dealership with many ameneties. Or would you rather work on your back under a heavy car in cold, with no apparent idea what you are looking for?

A decent part of your sticker price was the warranty, you might as well use it to it's full capacity. Man, I miss the days when my car had warranty, those were much simple times.
      11-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
DropItLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 gt-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLuSioNz X View Post
Why? You get trained professionals working on your car for free. All while sitting inside a well heated building, with food and drinks, being near hot receptionists at a nice dealership with many ameneties. Or would you rather work on your back under a heavy car in cold, with no apparent idea what you are looking for?

A decent part of your sticker price was the warranty, you might as well use it to it's full capacity. Man, I miss the days when my car had warranty, those were much simple times.
its never a good feeling having to take off from work or adjust your schedule to take care of warranty issues. one of the reasons i got rid of my s4 was because it was always in for warranty work and i drove loaners more than the car i was making payments on - let me tell you, driving a ford focus instead of your baby hurts! Maybe i'm just bitter about my last car, but i'd much rather have the warranty and never have to use it than be on a first name basis with the service advisor.

OP i'm sure they'll take care of you - i like to think that they treat M drivers differently at the dealership
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropItLow View Post
its never a good feeling having to take off from work or adjust your schedule to take care of warranty issues. one of the reasons i got rid of my s4 was because it was always in for warranty work and i drove loaners more than the car i was making payments on - let me tell you, driving a ford focus instead of your baby hurts! Maybe i'm just bitter about my last car, but i'd much rather have the warranty and never have to use it than be on a first name basis with the service advisor.

OP i'm sure they'll take care of you - i like to think that they treat M drivers differently at the dealership
lmao.. i agree man.. Funny you say the first name basis thing bec i am on that level with my advisor right now haha... but not bec of the m3 but bec of the 335 i had before lol... smh well i just want them to get her running right so i can then enjoy her...

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Does it sound like soup cans dragging on the ground? If so, you have the notorious case of rock bits stuck in your (brake?) shields, and you have absolutely nothing to worry about. This has happened to be a few times, and rocks typically get knocked out after a couple of days. The only thing it really affects is your ego .
Soup cans is the best description of that sound that we've all heard. I think his is more serious though.

OP keep us posted. Good luck

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

Quote:

Hey guys,

If you were driving highway speeds probably not the rocks in the brake dust shield that we've all heard. If you were going slow and sounded like a cowbell coming from the rear it most likely is a pebble in your brake dust shiel and will go away with time.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Lemon law your car
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

I guess BMW is going down the road that MB did a few years ago. Reliability has been getting worse and worse for BMW in the last few years.

I saw a post saying "Why worry. You are covered under warranty". I am sorry to say that this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Regardless off how much you spent for your car ($20K or $120K), you bought your car to drive, not to have regular trips to dealers.

I have had so many problems with my car that I feel like I would never want to own another BMW again.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Im dying to know what happened at the stealer OP... Fill us in, let us know what happened, hope its nothing major, although my initial response to rattling sounds under your car is never a good one GL

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #16
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep

HEYY guys so i got my car back... So the service ad said that the problem was that there are 2 bolts that hold the exhaust right by the diff. They some how snapped and was hitting my rear axle.. So they replaced them. I also complained that when i take hard slow speed turns i hear like some type of noise from the back. He said thats ok bec it means the diff is working. He orderd some high preformance diff oil so that after 800 miles the liquid will break in and should help decrease that weird noise.. Anyone else have that noise when you do hard low speed turns?? either way i am just happy my car is back and running hard like a champ lol....

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

That's great news. By the way, which dealership did you go to and would you recommend them to us?
      11-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #18
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
That's great news. By the way, which dealership did you go to and would you recommend them to us?
When I saw the thread title, I thought it was about someone dying. Now I know there are others that love their M3 as much as I do
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #19
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep

yea i would def recommend my dealer... its Habberstad in huntington station. everyone there is great they really look out for you... Plus they all just got brand new 2011 loaners.. so every loaner i have driven has been really nice... lol... best dealer never going anywhere else...

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #20
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
When I saw the thread title, I thought it was about someone dying. Now I know there are others that love their M3 as much as I do
you know it!!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #21
MCarRacr07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a couple still in the garage

Quote:
HEYY guys so i got my car back... So the service ad said that the problem was that there are 2 bolts that hold the exhaust right by the diff. They some how snapped and was hitting my rear axle.. So they replaced them. I also complained that when i take hard slow speed turns i hear like some type of noise from the back. He said thats ok bec it means the diff is working. He orderd some high preformance diff oil so that after 800 miles the liquid will break in and should help decrease that weird noise.. Anyone else have that noise when you do hard low speed turns?? either way i am just happy my car is back and running hard like a champ lol....

I was going to tell you same thing happened to me on my 08.same type of noise was driving me nuts....only difference it was actually the brackets that attach to the muffler at the rear...they snapped off at the welds...had to wait 2 weeks for a new muffler....
as far as Habberstaad service goes...well everyone has different experiences...glad yours was a good one.