BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Thumbs down F*$# MY LIFE

Well it happened, car got f-d up.

Sucks like you have no idea.

She didn't even have 2,000 miles on her. What can you do? Shit happens.

I'm going to brief for the time being in order to protect my interests since this is an open case and there are multiple parties involved (insurance, adjusters, a lawyer, BMW, dealership etc.) This happened a few weeks ago and it's time to discuss with the almighty forum!

Basically the car was hit on the rear side and needs the following repairs:

1) Entire new rear suspension (+ new wheel, tire)
2) Rear quarter panel, entire new door, rocker panel, A-pillar, fuel tank, exhaust, rear bumper, new trunk for painting (or so they say)
3) Needs a new "floor" - whatever that means, basically it needs the structural piece that the rear suspension and the suspension carrier bolts onto since that is not aligned

Repairs are at a solid $25k

I really want to have this car written off and declared a total loss - I just don't think they can fix this thing to original pre-accident condition.

I don't know but in my opinion a few guys working in a BMW authorized body show can't fix a car that's damage to this extent (in terms of structural damage and suspension damage).

Insurance isn't ready to declare it a total loss since it's only $25k in repairs.

I'm trying to see if someone from BMW NA would come out and look at the car, they keep finding new things that need to be replaced all the time (car has been in the shop for 3-weeks now).

Issues that concern me:

1) Due to the extent of the repairs and the type of repairs they are (structural, pillar, suspension carrier, suspension work, torquing suspension parts correctly, the floor, etc.) they simply CANNOT get it back to pre-accident condition

2) They cannot do the job the Germans can with their multi-million dollar robots and engineers that build these cars all day every day, they simply can't do it.

3) Car will have problems in the future, mainly suspension issues, balance issues, not safe for the road or the track due to the extreme amounts of force this car puts down when driven hard (i.e. launch control, hard turning, accelerating, etc.)

What are some thoughts?

Any ideas on what I can do to better make case for a total loss?

I have BMW gap and this is a lease

Man this shit sucks like no other!
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Wow, really sorry man. That does blow really hard. Maybe trade it in at a different dealer for a different lease to try to reduce the total amount out of pocket in the end.

Or since it is a lease, keep driving it, and if there are issues, let them fix them under warranty. i don't know if warranty continues in this case, I assume yes, since a BMW auth dealer is repairing it?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

at least its a lease so u can just return the car after everything is over.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
at least its a lease so u can just return the car after everything is over.
Yeah, that's true. I'm not out of pocket much, I leased the car with $1,100 at signing.

Another reason why people should not put any money out of pocket on a lease you never know when you'll get screwed by life!

I really just want a new car, for some reason I'm not confident in them repairing it while they (and the insurance company) think they can fix it.

Let's see if I can get this one written off...
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

No way they will total it with 25K of damage, if it was a 2008 with 20,000 miles maybe..

I'm sure BMW financial will have to sign off on the car getting repaired so it wont cause you any problems when you turn it in. Warranty isnt an issue unless the car was totaled and had a rebuilt title. Just think how sick you would be if you owned it and had to try to sell it down the road with a 25K repair on a carfax if you couldnt get diminished value money out of the insurance comapny. At least you can turn it in when you are done and walk away.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

Let them decide what to do with the car, return it at maturity and walk away. Its their problem, I love leasing sometimes!

Its in their interests to total out the car because they will never be able to sell the vehicle as CPO after your lease is over.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM3 View Post
No way they will total it with 25K of damage, if it was a 2008 with 20,000 miles maybe..

I'm sure BMW financial will have to sign off on the car getting repaired so it wont cause you any problems when you turn it in. Warranty isnt an issue unless the car was totaled and had a rebuilt title. Just think how sick you would be if you owned it and had to try to sell it down the road with a 25K repair on a carfax if you couldnt get diminished value money out of the insurance comapny. At least you can turn it in when you are done and walk away.
Yeah, I don't think they're going to either. Car MSRP was $77.8k and it's a few months old.

I just hope they can fix the damn thing to spec.

I know they have re-inspectors going out every week, the dealership is looking at it, they're working hard and aren't cutting corners - everything is being replaced OEM, no shortcuts no repairs - just everything being replaced with new parts. Which is a good thing.

That's why I lease - it would suck beyond belief if I bought this car outright and was stuck with it the way it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Captain View Post
Let them decide what to do with the car, return it at maturity and walk away. Its their problem, I love leasing sometimes!

Its in their interests to total out the car because they will never be able to sell the vehicle as CPO after your lease is over.
I was under the impression that they would total it at $50-55k, BMW GAP would cover the rest and we wouldn't be having this thread!

From what I understand, insurance usually totals a car when the repairs are 50% or more of the current value of the vehicle.

I guess my biggest concern is WILL THEY FIX IT to pre-accident condition - in a way they have to and have no choice since these things are regulated by BMW, the dealership, insurance, etc.

Just a bummer!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

I really felt for you until I got to the bottom and read the "Lease" part. As others have said- Who cares? You're renting the car. It's BMW's problem, not yours.

By the way, what is BMW GAP?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #9
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
FMLz bro sorry to hear man...really really sorry to hear.

I know how it feels
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 02:16 AM   #10
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Some words of comfort...

1. You leased, that is 90% of the concern off of your shoulders.
2. The guys at the best shops that are certified by the German OEMs do amazing work. You are right that every last detail can never be quite as good as OEM quality. However, if you choose the shop that will go a very long way toward making sure the car is repaired properly. I had a small body issue about a year or so ago (and I actually own my car) so I was really concerned. I had it fixed at Penske here in San Diego who have a factory trained BMW repair lead. He promised me that even going over the car with a fine toothed comb after he was done that I would not be able to tell the car was repaired. Amazingly enough he was right (and I am picky!). If you choose the best shop, which I think is entirely your choice, you won't have to sweat most of the issues you raised about things they might do wrong or not do to factory specs. BMW shares a huge amount of information with the folks that do the repairs.
3. $25k sounds low for damage this extensive, however, you are still quite unlikely to get the car totaled out.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #11
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

sucks man, that car's gonna be f'd for the rest of its leased life

i feel for u
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 02:24 AM   #12
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Really one of the only things that sucks is that you are making payments on it while its being repaired. Hopefully they repair it to pre accident conditions and you can put more miles per month on it when you get it back!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 02:28 AM   #13
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post
We both got owned, I just had mine for about 400 miles more. Still waiting to see what's going to happen with my baby. Goodluck, this shit is so depressing
Yeap, we did indeed. Is there a M3 Anonymous meeting somewhere in SoCal???

What happened to your car? Link to a thread? PM if you want to vent - LOL.

Listen, at the end of the day, the cars will be as good as new. No question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
Really one of the only things that sucks is that you are making payments on it while its being repaired. Hopefully they repair it to pre accident conditions and you can put more miles per month on it when you get it back!!
Agree, just made a lease payment last week. Car has been in for 3 week, current target date is January 3rd, I have that entire shop working over time to try and beat that date. Few parts were backordered from Germany so that's the big killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitCake View Post
sucks man, that car's gonna be f'd for the rest of its leased life

i feel for u
Thanks dude, I think that the car will be back to 100%. I've spoken with multiple shops, adjusters, re-inspectors, shop foreman at BMW, certified techs and my next chat is with someone either from BMW AG or BMW NA. I'm a bit crazy like that, but I need to make sure it will be pristine after repairs.

The good thing is that they're literally replacing ALL the suspension components, everything should be to the millimeter exact, I guess they know what they're doing. I don't think BMW or the insurance company would have it any other way, it would be a major liability for them if they half-assed a job like this.

From what I understand today, BMW is also going to look at the car once the repairs are done.

So at least we're in good hands here.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 02:32 AM   #14
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Some words of comfort...

1. You leased, that is 90% of the concern off of your shoulders.
2. The guys at the best shops that are certified by the German OEMs do amazing work. You are right that every last detail can never be quite as good as OEM quality. However, if you choose the shop that will go a very long way toward making sure the car is repaired properly. I had a small body issue about a year or so ago (and I actually own my car) so I was really concerned. I had it fixed at Penske here in San Diego who have a factory trained BMW repair lead. He promised me that even going over the car with a fine toothed comb after he was done that I would not be able to tell the car was repaired. Amazingly enough he was right (and I am picky!). If you choose the best shop, which I think is entirely your choice, you won't have to sweat most of the issues you raised about things they might do wrong or not do to factory specs. BMW shares a huge amount of information with the folks that do the repairs.
3. $25k sounds low for damage this extensive, however, you are still quite unlikely to get the car totaled out.
Thanks swamp, definitely some words of comfort for sure.

1. I agree, doesn't even matter since it's a lease.

2. I know the lead guy working on this car's suspension (and everything else aside from bodywork) is a certified OEM tech from BMW. I know that every bolt is torqued to BMW M spec - I guess I'm worrying too much, sounds like they know what they're doing. I guess to me it'll never be the same but they keep saying that "nobody will ever be able to tell it was damaged." They're working hard, one of the few certified BMW shops in SoCal, I guess I have to hand it to them for really prioritizing this car and MORE IMPORTANTLY replacing most everything related to the damaged parts, not just a camber and a wishbone here and there.

3. Parts alone are $14k -
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #15
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post
We both got owned, I just had mine for about 400 miles more. Still waiting to see what's going to happen with my baby. Goodluck, this shit is so depressing
Just remembered, you're Mr. Deer

I think your car is totaled, I hope it is so you can get a brand new car!

Good luck dude!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 03:35 AM   #16
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

g'damned...didn't you just pick up your car a few months ago like me?

Good luck with everything...at least it's a lease...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 03:40 AM   #17
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Don't feel too bad. I had seen worse. ie. Basically whole front replaced costing 26,700 with only 1370 on the meter.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #18
11' AW M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' ZCP E92 M3

man, that is horrible

Was the car just parked and someone hit it? As you already said, thankfully its a lease. Things like this completely scare me away from owning. There are just too many things out of your control that can dramatically lower the value of your car.

I hope it gets restored to your liking!
      12-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #19
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
its a lease. whoever buys this CPO later off the dealer when lease is up will be the one who suffers. i wouldnt worry
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #20
Psylight
Brigadier General
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Teh Space Gray E92 M 6MT

Wow, good luck with this whole scene. Great thing you leased
      12-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #21
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

I'm going to brief for the time being in order to protect my interests since this is an open case and there are multiple parties involved (insurance, adjusters, a lawyer, BMW, dealership etc.) This happened a few weeks ago and it's time to discuss with the almighty forum!

2) Rear quarter panel, entire new door, rocker panel, A-pillar, fuel tank, exhaust, rear bumper, new trunk for painting (or so they say)
3) Needs a new "floor" - whatever that means, basically it needs the structural piece that the rear suspension and the suspension carrier bolts onto since that is not aligned

I really want to have this car written off and declared a total loss - I just don't think they can fix this thing to original pre-accident condition.

I don't know but in my opinion a few guys working in a BMW authorized body show can't fix a car that's damage to this extent (in terms of structural damage and suspension damage).

Insurance isn't ready to declare it a total loss since it's only $25k in repairs.

I'm trying to see if someone from BMW NA would come out and look at the car, they keep finding new things that need to be replaced all the time (car has been in the shop for 3-weeks now).

Issues that concern me:

1) Due to the extent of the repairs and the type of repairs they are (structural, pillar, suspension carrier, suspension work, torquing suspension parts correctly, the floor, etc.) they simply CANNOT get it back to pre-accident condition

2) They cannot do the job the Germans can with their multi-million dollar robots and engineers that build these cars all day every day, they simply can't do it.

3) Car will have problems in the future, mainly suspension issues, balance issues, not safe for the road or the track due to the extreme amounts of force this car puts down when driven hard (i.e. launch control, hard turning, accelerating, etc.)

What are some thoughts?

best solution

www.leasetrader.com or www.swaplease.com
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #22
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

Issues that concern me:

What are some thoughts?

You know this totally sucks..but its times like these that makes you glad you leased.

That being said you will be shocked on how well they can repair cars today. Let it play out and see how it goes then make decisions. I will say this though at the end of the lease I wouldn't buy the car just turn it in.

I lease my vehicles, I got a great money factor and the residual isn't to bad so there may be some equity at the end of the lease. Like I said its time like this that you are glad you leased.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0