BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Aftermarket exhaust and increased vibration

Something that I have been wondering for a while.

Performance aftermarket exhausts increase the vibration rates of the components around them, as they come with less performance-grabbing insulating pieces.

It is quite clear that the vibrations felt inside my car since I have installed my Akrapovic have increased. This is particularly noticeable upon startup when the "boominess" is most pronounced. Things quiet down after a couple of minutes.

While this does not bother me per say, I am wondering of the long terms effects, if any, of the factory components around the exhaust system.
Is that a stupid question to think that some fasteners may come loose or speaker membranes for instance may sustain damage because of the increased vibrations? Should I be worried about this?

Thanks

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep

No-one has an opinion on this? Am I the only one to worry/care about this?

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Is that a stupid question to think that some fasteners may come loose or speaker membranes for instance may sustain damage because of the increased vibrations? Should I be worried about this?

Thanks
Get under the car and inspect the fasteners once in a while. But it's hard for me to believe any damage will occur to speaker membranes. I would not worry about it at all.

Cheers,
      01-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

I wouldn't really worry about it. The only vibration issue I had was with the 3 rd rear brake light. That problem was easily resolved with some Dynamat.

A friend of mine who drives an E90 had a sub in his trunk and he had issues with his gas cap components breaking.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ..

Quote:
Something that I have been wondering for a while.

Performance aftermarket exhausts increase the vibration rates of the components around them, as they come with less performance-grabbing insulating pieces.

It is quite clear that the vibrations felt inside my car since I have installed my Akrapovic have increased. This is particularly noticeable upon startup when the "boominess" is most pronounced. Things quiet down after a couple of minutes.

While this does not bother me per say, I am wondering of the long terms effects, if any, of the factory components around the exhaust system.

Thanks
Its ONLY the Akra that does that! Well to a noticeable extent.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarii View Post
Its ONLY the Akra that does that! Well to a noticeable extent.
For sure. I don't have any other driveline mods. The Akra has definitely more rumble than stock. Which is probably why it feels so good ;-)

Okay, maybe I am worrying for nothing. Thanks guys.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ..

Quote:
For sure. I don't have any other driveline mods. The Akra has definitely more rumble than stock. Which is probably why it feels so good ;-)

Okay, maybe I am worrying for nothing. Thanks guys.
Well I say that from experience I went through Ginani race, Eise Sport, AA and Akra..(i might have missed one) only Akra did that.
Appreciate 0