BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-01-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
PS2's vs. Neova AD08's

Ok so my decision for summer tires is down to two basically now, the michelin ps2's or Yokahoma Neova AD08's. Both would be in 235/40F - 265/35R sizes.

I need some REAL opinions on both here, I did have the RE-11's and the Star Specs in the running as well but too many things pulled them off (weight, soft sidewalls, expense, lower dry performance and stability).

The neova's are what Im leaning towards right now however I have been told they are generally rough tires for a DD and their treadwear isnt the best, however its not bad either and their dry performance and stability is basically unbeatable by all, even the ps2s. However, the PS2's offer a bit more cozy and quieter ride as well as a tiny bit better treadwear and weight, but of course at a higher cost.

I do not track my car, therefore I do not consistently drive my car like a maniac so I expect to get atleast 15k miles out of either one of these if not more. I simply just want some of the "best" overall rubber riding below my expensive and powerful investment of a car =)

So pour out your souls, but no flaming, ive seen enough of that elsewhere, this is serious shit here
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Ok so my decision for summer tires is down to two basically now, the michelin ps2's or Yokahoma Neova AD08's. Both would be in 235/40F - 265/35R sizes.

I need some REAL opinions on both here, I did have the RE-11's and the Star Specs in the running as well but too many things pulled them off (weight, soft sidewalls, expense, lower dry performance and stability).

The neova's are what Im leaning towards right now however I have been told they are generally rough tires for a DD and their treadwear isnt the best, however its not bad either and their dry performance and stability is basically unbeatable by all, even the ps2s. However, the PS2's offer a bit more cozy and quieter ride as well as a tiny bit better treadwear and weight, but of course at a higher cost.

I do not track my car, therefore I do not consistently drive my car like a maniac so I expect to get atleast 15k miles out of either one of these if not more. I simply just want some of the "best" overall rubber riding below my expensive and powerful investment of a car =)

So pour out your souls, but no flaming, ive seen enough of that elsewhere, this is serious shit here
AD08 is extreme performance summer vs PS2 being Max performance summer tire. They are not in the same category. Funny thing is that PS2 ended up 4th in Tire Racks tire test with 1st place going to Conti Extreme contact DW. Give Gill a call or shoot him a PM. He will sure be able to answer all your questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

Quote:

Based on this, I'd recommend PS2s. I'm running the AD08s as my track tire, and they're awesome and ultra-grippy, but the PS2s are very competent and will do everything you need them to do, and then some.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
AD08 is extreme performance summer vs PS2 being Max performance summer tire. They are not in the same category. Funny thing is that PS2 ended up 4th in Tire Racks tire test with 1st place going to Conti Extreme contact DW. Give Gill a call or shoot him a PM. He will sure be able to answer all your questions.
Ive been watching tireracks ratings closesly for a while now on these tires and it seems they have several different rating systems that are quite inconsistent when it comes to each tire.

For instance with the PS2's their ROAD TEST basically shoots the tire lower than all basically that I listed for the most part, even in comfort and DRY track which makes little sense seeing as Ive read ratings on there many many times before whether its personal or their SURVEYS that put the PS2's right at the top for such things.

Thats the main reason for being in such a stand off between them because I dont feel as cozy and homey with TIRERACKS ratings with these anymore with their inconsistency. One thing is I know from personal experience with those Ive asked who know what theyre talking about say the PS2 basically cant be beat in most if not all ways, just the price and slightly less treadwear is a bit of a bitch and that the AD08's they could say basically the same and that the comfort and treadwear lacks a bit.

Lastly, also when looking at Tireracks ratings and surverys, its important to notice how many MILES the tires have been track tested by TR, the PS2's have well over 100k miles whereas the others are down much closer to the single k's, what does that tell you? Who knows. Im really just looking for personal opinions here

P.S. I dont really take the difference between Extreme and Ultra high performance very seriously at all. I mean they have some shitty Kuhmo's under EXTREME and yet theyre rated far less than the PS2s which are under ultra high... Its just like all the differences in the surveys ratings between all these tires is very little and they are all around the 8.0-9.0 point survey rating which under their description is still EXCELLENT-SUPERIOR, so either way im dealing with great tires here. =|
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Ive been watching tireracks ratings closesly for a while now on these tires and it seems they have several different rating systems that are quite inconsistent when it comes to each tire.

For instance with the PS2's their ROAD TEST basically shoots the tire lower than all basically that I listed for the most part, even in comfort and DRY track which makes little sense seeing as Ive read ratings on there many many times before whether its personal or their SURVEYS that put the PS2's right at the top for such things.

Thats the main reason for being in such a stand off between them because I dont feel as cozy and homey with TIRERACKS ratings with these anymore with their inconsistency. One thing is I know from personal experience with those Ive asked who know what theyre talking about say the PS2 basically cant be beat in most if not all ways, just the price and slightly less treadwear is a bit of a bitch and that the AD08's they could say basically the same and that the comfort and treadwear lacks a bit.

Lastly, also when looking at Tireracks ratings and surverys, its important to notice how many MILES the tires have been track tested by TR, the PS2's have well over 100k miles whereas the others are down much closer to the single k's, what does that tell you? Who knows. Im really just looking for personal opinions here

P.S. I dont really take the difference between Extreme and Ultra high performance very seriously at all. I mean they have some shitty Kuhmo's under EXTREME and yet theyre rated far less than the PS2s which are under ultra high... Its just like all the differences in the surveys ratings between all these tires is very little and they are all around the 8.0-9.0 point survey rating which under their description is still EXCELLENT-SUPERIOR, so either way im dealing with great tires here. =|
Max performance is more oriented toward dry/wet grip vs extreme performance concentrating more on dry grip.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

PS2s are the perfect performance DD tires. I got 25 miles out of my first set of rears. But if you want to autos in the future they lose their grip a bit too easily in the front because of their cushy sidewalls

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:

...Lastly, also when looking at Tireracks ratings and surverys, its important to notice how many MILES the tires have been track tested by TR, the PS2's have well over 100k miles... =|
When browsing survey results from customers, the total miles reported is a very important tool in terms of statistical relevance.
It is important to note, however, that the miles reported have nothing to do with our track testing. 'Miles reported' is only used in customer survey data.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Its interesting im hearing stuff about the PS2s have cushy sidewalls and yet ive heard the exact opposite so often..
I drove the DW's and THEY have cushy sidewalls and a slimmer treadwidth..i.e. lesser steering and handling performance. The PS2's are supposed to be well known for their optimum steering and handling performance...i.e. straighter stiffer sidewalls

Am I way off or just hearing different stuff from everyone?

And Broken I sure hope you meant 25k miles..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Having run both, I'd go with the AD08s anytime unless you do a lot of wet driving and tend to push the car in the rain. Don't get me wrong, AD08s do just fine on wet roads but the PS2 has a slight edge there in my opinion. Be aware taht the AD08s run wider than the PS2. Another tire you might consider is the Hankook RS3. Very nice tire as well
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Yep meant 25K I also meant autox...stupid iPhone.

But I love my ps2s I'm just looking into doing more track and autox this season so I'm looking at the neovas for a 235/255 setup. If youre not looking to buy until later in the season I'll do a comparison

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
strati1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

for socal and some agressive driving which would treat me better? (limited wet driving)

also will someone post the tread wear numbers for both???

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

PS2s are 200 if I remember right but they will last you 20-25K if treated right...and that was with 10 autox days

Last edited by BrokenVert; 02-07-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I have the AD08's.....and while they give me great grip and traction they are LOUUUUUD......seriously noticeable. Don't expect a soft ride either.....in hindsight I would probably only select them as a track/autox tire in the future if I could find them cheap....

Michelin PS2: 220
Neova AD08: 180

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...nSpeedRating=H
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
strati1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Louder than my bald stock runflats? Hahha
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Nearly...I had those as well...LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #16
TPLSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Porsche GT4

Are the AD08s really that loud? I currently have the PS2s and love everything about it except that for my next set of wheels, they don't have the PS2s in the correct size I need. I don't think I can go with a tire that will be louder than the PS2s. Those Michelins have spoiled me! As far as performance from the PS2s, I've been very happy with them both on the track & on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Maybe its just the roads around GA and SC that I drive on....but I think they are pretty loud....

Last edited by adrean8j; 02-08-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #18
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

AD08s are loud, and if you are not thinking of tracking your car, you should not buy it. They are almost the best tire out there right before R-compounds.
      02-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #19
strati1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

noticeably louder then the bald runflats? idk how loud is loud?
Appreciate 0