ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Awesome Wheel Cleaner

Sorry no pictures, but this stuff is amazing! I recently ordered some new wheel cleaner and finally got to use this weekend. I hate my stock wheels since they have million holes that house all the bolts. Then there's the ton of brake dust on the rotors and coating the calipers.

I sprayed this stuff on and literally watched the brake dust melt off. Used my soft wheel brush and rinsed with pressure washer. Holy crap!! The calipers look brand new! Even the brake dust on the inside of the wheel got washed off.

This stuff is pretty strong tho. Even the label says don't leave it on your wheels for more than 30 seconds.

Smokin' deal for $16 buys you 1 gallon of concentrate you dillute 4:1.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-wheel-brightener.html
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
roastpuff
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Meg's Wheel Brightener is a good wheel cleaner, but like mentioned, can be dangerous to wheels - especially those with more delicate clearcoat/finishes.

My personal favorite is Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner, pretty cheap in the 5-liter container and safe for all finishes including raw aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

Meg's products are always my first choice

thanks for info
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
zer0xity
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

thanks for the post. just bought the meguiar's cleaner online. i've been looking for a good wheel cleaner. but one question: how often are you supposed to use that stuff? i would think regular use could eat away at the finish of any rims, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

I used in on the BBS wheels I had (pain to clean) and it worked well without any detriment to the clearcoat......

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
PatJags156
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible

SONAX betch!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Samjam927
The One And Only
Rep
Drives: 2006 TiAg ///M Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4M Roadster  [10.00]
2003 Z4  [5.00]
Either sonax or the megs stuff will work, I like the megs stuff better cause its cheaper, just dilute it 1/4 or more and your good
      02-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

I haven't used Sonax, but I've heard good things about it.

The Megs stuff is acid based and is really strong. I wouldn't use it for a regular cleaning (for that just a soap and scrubber/brush), but for a nasty caked wheel where the inside of the wheel and the calipers are dark brown this works great. Make sure you use your pressure washer to rinse very well.

A coat of wax (I like the Meg's synthetic spray wax) will keep the brake dust from building up again.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Meg's Wheel Brightener is a good wheel cleaner, but like mentioned, can be dangerous to wheels - especially those with more delicate clearcoat/finishes.

My personal favorite is Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner, pretty cheap in the 5-liter container and safe for all finishes including raw aluminum.
I've used it for over 6 years now, back when it was 3M wheel brightener. If you follow instructions and dilute to the proper strength for your application the chances of it harming any wheel finish is slim to none.

Heck I even use it as strong as 1:4 cleaner to water solution and none of my wheels have shown any signs of degradation in terms of its finish.

It took me over 5 years to finish the first giant bottle labeled as 3M's product.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0xity View Post
thanks for the post. just bought the meguiar's cleaner online. i've been looking for a good wheel cleaner. but one question: how often are you supposed to use that stuff? i would think regular use could eat away at the finish of any rims, no?
I used to use it WEEKLY on the MZ4 Coupe when it was driven on nearly a daily basis and had OEM pads and rotors up front.

The OEM rims, despite having had significant use of this product AND heavy track use, still has clearcoat as shiny as day one (well, except for it being dropped a couple of times on its face on a rough surface).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0