ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Finally got my car back

After a much longer wait than expected, I finally got my car back.

Love it. I did find a couple of problems though. The drivers side brake air duct is not tight and actually hangs down a little bit. The wheel is also rubbing at certain turn angles. And the plastic screws that hold the plastic cover over the radiator need to be replaced with new ones as they are also loose. I think these are probably one-time use screws. Somebody correct me if I am wrong on that, please. And I noticed the drivers side has a noticeably bigger gap between the bumper and headlight compared to the passengers side.

But I'll give them credit where credit is due. The paint is absolutely amazing. It is spot on. Hopefully they can correct the niggles and I'll be back to happy motoring!

Oh and I love my new carbon fiber grills!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

congrats! closeup of the grills? im looking to do this sometime soon as well on my TiAg Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
as far as the gap goes, I have it on my car as well, not sure if it is a design flaw or from when the bumper was taken off and put back on?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

That looks great. I'd love to see the grills as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I have the headlight gap on my bumper as well from when it was taken on/off. Guess its difficult to get it perfect. Very minor though and doesnt bother me.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

tekmoe, pardon any ignorance on my part, but what exactly happened to ur roadie?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
tekmoe, pardon any ignorance on my part, but what exactly happened to ur roadie?
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473040

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

I sent an email to the shop late last night with some pictures of what I described up above. I got a call early this morning from them and they told me to bring it back so they can make it right. Kind of sucks that the brake air duct issue went unnoticed but I understand mistakes happen so I'm not sweatin' over it. As long as they live up to their word and get her fixed, I'm going to be happier than a pig in slop. It looks just like new otherwise!!!

We are going thru yet ANOTHER snow storm here in Dallas today so I won't be able to get any proper photos until at least Friday when the weather clears up and I can pull her out of the garage. But the grills are dope! I got them from **********s in case anyone wants to know.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
gigtime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Congrats on getting it back. Where did you take it?

I hit a garbage bag late one night coming back from Houston in December on I-45. Black bag full of who knows what on a dark night when I was doing 70-80. It got stuck under the bumper and ripped all of the parts of the bumper/splash guard that's under the car.

I need to replace it and might go with the Aero but don't know good body shops in Dallas.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
KLH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0si

Looks like a shop over in Addison on Midaway?

Glad to hear/see things turned out OK.

Seems like there's always loose ends, as long as they're taken care of satisfactorily, all's good.

Gotta love this Dallas weather!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigtime View Post
Congrats on getting it back. Where did you take it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLH
Looks like a shop over in Addison on Midaway?

Glad to hear/see things turned out OK.

Seems like there's always loose ends, as long as they're taken care of satisfactorily, all's good.

Gotta love this Dallas weather!
Yup, it's on Midway in Addison and the shop is called Details LTD.

I ended up taking my car back to them today as the roads were not as bad as I had originally thought. They took me into the back of their shop and showed me the exact reason why the brake air duct was loose. The plastic clip that inserts into the bracket was a little mangled so they used a cotter pin to keep it in place. Simple fix. They are also ordering the correct plastic screws that hold the radiator cover on. They said they had a hell of a time getting the right parts for my car. The BMW dealership they were using kept sending them the wrong parts which delayed the repairs for so long. They weren't really able to eliminate the gap between the headlight and the bumper on the drivers side although it is a little better. Not a big deal. But the way the bumper attaches to the rest of the car made me realize there isn't much that can be done to fix that anyway.

They want me to take it back in about 30 days to rebuff it and apply the wax since it's still fresh right now. But all in all, I'm very happy with the outcome. I'm still amazed with the paint work. It's incredible.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
gigtime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
Yup, it's on Midway in Addison and the shop is called Details LTD.
Good, I'm in Addison and that's not far from me at all. I'm going to drop by there next week.

Glad you got your car back and they're sorting everything out. Do you know if it was Classic BMW or BMW of Dallas that got the parts all wrong?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Glad you have your car back. They did a great job on the color. Sounds like the body shop is going to take care of you. Either you get a shit color match, but the gaps and alignment is good, or you get a perfect color match and the panels all hang crooked.

Keep in mind you can constantly reject every little thing you don't like since the insurance company approved the body shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #14
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:46 AM   #15
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigtime View Post
Good, I'm in Addison and that's not far from me at all. I'm going to drop by there next week.

Glad you got your car back and they're sorting everything out. Do you know if it was Classic BMW or BMW of Dallas that got the parts all wrong?
Cool man!

No I don't know which dealership it was. But I can find out.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:53 AM   #16
z4girl
Rep
Drives: X3

drooooooooooool
Appreciate 0