ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
z4girl
Rep
Drives: X3

purchase advice

Hi. I'm looking to get a used z4. I'm hoping to drive it for about 3 years then purchase a brand new z4. I'm currently a starving student but will get a sweet paying job in a year or 2.

Could you guys give me some advice re: the following vehicle?

Here's the ad:

2004 BMW Z4 Sport and Premium package - $13500 (or best cash offer). White on tan interior, Clean title, Clean car fax report, 76k miles, kept like new, weekend car, very well taken care of, needs nothing, never in accident, no major dings or scratches, car is in amazing condition, interior is perfect, weekend car, good tires and brakes, power top, power everything, all leather seats, automatic transmission, seat warmers, perfect summer car, automatic, 2.5 power top, 6 Disc CD, power everything, leather seats, heated seats, must sell real fast.

After calling the guy there were a few things that were suspicious:
1) He said he was a dealer but it was still under private sale.
2) He said there were 2 previous owners
3) He seemed to want to sell it fast - He said he'd be willing to work with $12,000.

Could you guys also just give me general info re: this car that I should be aware of? i.e. problems/maintenance, etc.

I'm kind of clueless when it comes to car but I absolutely love the z4 So I would appreciate any advice

Thanks in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
fakepatron13
Registered
Rep
Drives: z

Don't get it, for the following reason:

1. A 2003-2008 (Z4 WITH THE SPORT PACKAGE) will break your spine. BMW did a Terrible job on the sport chassis set-up of the Z4 that come with the sport package. You will feel every single bump, pothole, and imperfection on the roads. Make sure you take the car for an extended test drive all over city (freeway, hills, uneven pavement, city driving, etc) While the handling is great, unfortunately, that does not make up for the unacceptable ride pattern with the sport package. I know many owners will disagree with me on this but I am speaking from experience. I traded my 04 Z4 with the sport package and bought the redesigned/face-lifted 07 Z4 (no sport package), A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Because of your financial situation, try getting an 04-06 that does not come with the sport package.

2. If he is a real dealer than you should be meeting him at the dealership lol, and no where else.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
fakepatron13
Registered
Rep
Drives: z

Where in CA do you live? San Diego?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
z4girl
Rep

I'm from the LA area. Thanks for the advice! But gosh I want it sooo bad~ I'll definitely take it out for an extended test drive. I think my brother is going to go with me, so hopefully he'll be able to tell. But he's an Audi fanatic so he warned me that he doesn't know much about the z4 - hence joining this forum. Are there any other issues or advice?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
76k miles on an '04 doesn't sound like a "weekend" car at all. If it is, somebody must have a lot of long weekends. You should definitely consider taking it to an independent mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection if you're seriously considering this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
z4girl
Rep

oh! And I understand the Z4s have chains instead of timing belts? Does anyone know how often the chains have to be replaced??
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:40 AM   #7
z4girl
Rep

thanks XMetal! Do you know how much/how long a PPI would a take? And whether I would need to set an appointment way in advance?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
fighting_fish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.5i Z4 2004

My only advice is to not jump into anything. Although the price is great the mileage is a bit high, see if you can get maintenance records which would mean the difference between a well driven car and one driven to the ground.

Last edited by fighting_fish; 02-13-2011 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #9
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakepatron13 View Post

1. A 2003-2008 (Z4 WITH THE SPORT PACKAGE) will break your spine. BMW did a Terrible job on the sport chassis set-up of the Z4 that come with the sport package. You will feel every single bump, pothole, and imperfection on the roads. Make sure you take the car for an extended test drive all over city (freeway, hills, uneven pavement, city driving, etc) While the handling is great, unfortunately, that does not make up for the unacceptable ride pattern with the sport package. I know many owners will disagree with me on this but I am speaking from experience. I traded my 04 Z4 with the sport package and bought the redesigned/face-lifted 07 Z4 (no sport package), A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Because of your financial situation, try getting an 04-06 that does not come with the sport package.

2. If he is a real dealer than you should be meeting him at the dealership lol, and no where else.
I completely disagree.

Please don't let one person get it in your head that the 'sport package' is a non starter.

Go in with an open mind and drive each car. If you like a 'non-sport' over the 'sport' then get it, and the reverse is true. Don't be biased before you get there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
76k miles on an '04 doesn't sound like a "weekend" car at all. If it is, somebody must have a lot of long weekends. You should definitely consider taking it to an independent mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection if you're seriously considering this car.
XMetal is correct. That is not a weekend car, but that is not a bad thing.
I know of several Z4's that have over 150K miles on them. One is at 270K. Do the maintenance and the car will last.
Ask the owner for a copy of the maintenance records. If they cannot provide them then walk away. If they say that BMW did all the maintenance, the go talk to the BMW Dealer and ask. They (BMW) cannot and most likely will not, give you a copy of the maintenance records but they can give you a verbal. Take notes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4girl View Post
oh! And I understand the Z4s have chains instead of timing belts? Does anyone know how often the chains have to be replaced??
Timing Chains should never need to be replaced under normal conditions.

Quote:
thanks XMetal! Do you know how much/how long a PPI would a take? And whether I would need to set an appointment way in advance?
A good PPI should only take a couple of hours. Find a Tech you are comfortable with and ask before you schedule a appointment. Do NOT use anyone recommended by the seller. You want to make sure you get an unbiased opinion.

Since by your own admission, you don't know anything about cars, this is where PATIENCE, perseverance and research will help you out... Be willing to walk away from a deal if something does not seem right. If your intuition says that something is wrong, IT IS...... Trust yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakepatron13 View Post

What?!? I have it and its perfect. You probably had other issues with your car or your spine. Sports package is great, its stiffer but nothing crazy, car looks more aggressive and you also get the sports button, which is more noticeable on manual driving vs auto. Car just hugs the road.

On that note, 76k miles is to much. I just purchased mine last yr was 13,500 exactly at 48k miles 1 owner. I duno 76k miles is a bit high.. If I'm buying used I try to stick around 30-50k max. I wouldn't rush into it even at 12,000 its questionable purchase. Maybe at 10,000?

lol shouldn't a starving student use the money for something else? not a 2 door convertible depreciating asset
      02-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I don't think the mileage is that high for that car in the LA area. People from other parts of the country forget that the Z4 is driven all year round here in LA and people in LA drive A LOT. A long commute to work plus occasional trips to Santa Barbara, Vegas, Palm Springs, etc. and the miles are going to add up. That being said, you're still buying a BMW out of warranty so make sure you find one ideally under your budget so you can set aside money for any unexpected repair costs.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
I don't think the mileage is that high for that car in the LA area. People from other parts of the country forget that the Z4 is driven all year round here in LA and people in LA drive A LOT. A long commute to work plus occasional trips to Santa Barbara, Vegas, Palm Springs, etc. and the miles are going to add up. That being said, you're still buying a BMW out of warranty so make sure you find one ideally under your budget so you can set aside money for any unexpected repair costs.
Very true. My '04 daily driver have over 75k miles and I only work 10 miles away and have a "weekend" car

Agreed with Shipkiller that the car not being a garage queen isn't necessarily a bad thing. A daily driven car means that thing should be in operating order. Just make sure it has not been in a major accident (carfax doesn't always show everything), the PPI should be able to make this out as well. But as Nikki had pointed out, be prepare to put in some "maintenance" money at this age and milage.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Completely agreed with being prepared to spend big buck on services (both plan and unexpected) also, isnt LA has the worst traffics in the whole Conti US? I would stay away from any car with lots of stop&go mileages! There are plenty of great deals out there so be patient and you will find a perfect car
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
z4girl
Rep

You guys are amazing!!! Thanks so much!!! My brother said forums are the best place to get the best knowledge - he wasn't kidding! Thanks all!!

BTW! I'm getting some conflicting info. Most are saying the timing belt/chain shouldn't be changed under normal circumstances. However, someone also said though the timing chain doesn't need to be changed, the belt has to be changed every 4k miles? So confused Some more wisdom from u z4 experts please
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
z4girl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkhan82 View Post
lol shouldn't a starving student use the money for something else? not a 2 door convertible depreciating asset
Yes~ But it's suuuuuch an amazing ride
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
There are several good independent shops that sponsor the local chapter of the BMWCCA - http://www.bmwclubla.org/links.php - you can pick the one closest to you or the car. You can also find independent BMW shops at BIMRS.org.

As others have noted, sport package or no is a personal choice. Another big factor on the ride quality of these cars is whether or not it is equipped with run flat tires (RFT's) - all were from the factory but many owners changed to conventional tires due to the ride issues with the RFT's (a run flat tire will have RFT embossed on the sidewall.)

Mileage, as noted by others, is not a major issue with these cars - with proper maintenance they're good 200k+ mile cars; shopping for a Z4 puts you in the position of finding more low mileage weekend cars than you would find if you were shopping for a standard sedan or coupe, but 76k on a 6-7 year old car is not as much of an issue as proper maintenance.

Good luck and welcome (hopefully) to the club!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes~ But it's suuuuuch an amazing ride
That it is - and at its age and price there isn't as much depreciation left in it as in a newer Honda.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #18
z4girl
Rep

Thanks CalRick!! I will try to utilize one of those shops!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You guys are amazing!!! Thanks so much!!! My brother said forums are the best place to get the best knowledge - he wasn't kidding! Thanks all!!

BTW! I'm getting some conflicting info. Most are saying the timing belt/chain shouldn't be changed under normal circumstances. However, someone also said though the timing chain doesn't need to be changed, the belt has to be changed every 4k miles? So confused Some more wisdom from u z4 experts please
There are only two belts on the car. The main serpentine belt and the air-conditioning belt. I would change them every 50K or so. They are cheap. Less than $100 for parts.

You have the same engine that is in my wifes 2003 Roadster and we have 67K on that car. No issues except I had to replace all six coils last year. $150 for parts...

One MAJOR issue no one has really talked about.
The car you are looking at is an automatic. STAY WAY.....

BMW's are notorious for their automatic transmissions going away/byebye at around 90-120K. $3500 to replace. No repair, replace...

Even if the owner changed the fluid at 50K, (don't think so, since BMW recommends a LIFETIME fill) then you might get another 20K out of the auto.

I have seen some autos go for 150K but those are exceptions to the rule.

Keep looking. One will pop up..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
If you are a starving student make sure you can afford it for good at your current income. You are not guaranteed a job at graduation (as my brother has realized, sadly)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #21
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
There are only two belts on the car. The main serpentine belt and the air-conditioning belt. I would change them every 50K or so. They are cheap. Less than $100 for parts.

You have the same engine that is in my wifes 2003 Roadster and we have 67K on that car. No issues except I had to replace all six coils last year. $150 for parts...

One MAJOR issue no one has really talked about.
The car you are looking at is an automatic. STAY WAY.....

BMW's are notorious for their automatic transmissions going away/byebye at around 90-120K. $3500 to replace. No repair, replace...

Even if the owner changed the fluid at 50K, (don't think so, since BMW recommends a LIFETIME fill) then you might get another 20K out of the auto.

I have seen some autos go for 150K but those are exceptions to the rule.

Keep looking. One will pop up..
I have been hanging around on several Z4 forums for quite a while now and I have NEVER heard anyone comment negatively about the reliability of Z4 automatic transmissions. SMG gearboxes - yes. Automatics - absolutey never.

I just don't buy that.

In fact, many members here have automatics with sport and paddle shifters. No one has ever commented negatively about those. In fact, most have commented on how fine a transmission it is.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #22
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Every other BMW model has premature automatic transmission failure. You don't here anything about Z4's is because most are very low mileage cars. It's the nature of the car.

Every one of the high mileage Z4's I have heard of or read about and owners I have talked to had five or six speed manuals.

Cruise the E46 (non-M) forums, very few last past 120K.
Appreciate 0