BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Challenge X pipe(street version) owners..

Hey guys,

Just ordered challenge x pipe (street version), and i cant wait to put it on! How do you owners like the quality of this, eventhough its challenge im sure no reason to think twice. Their quality is the best. I have a Gintani race exhaust and how much louder will the street version make it? To be honest im real nervous, I hope the cops dont bust me everytime I drive as the car is pretty loud as is. Did you x pipe street owners notice a power bump? Im hoping for some increased low end torque.

Thx to nate at IND
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Nice! I'm sure it will be really loud though. My buddy runs the same xpipe with an Eis Race, it is so loud that I can't imagine how he can drive that without getting pulled over everyday. My M is my daily driver which is why I'm hesitant on an xpipe but when I'm ready, it'll definitely be Challenges xpipe.
      02-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooowowizstev View Post
Nice! I'm sure it will be really loud though. My buddy runs the same xpipe with an Eis Race, it is so loud that I can't imagine how he can drive that without getting pulled over everyday. My M is my daily driver which is why I'm hesitant on an xpipe but when I'm ready, it'll definitely be Challenges xpipe.
oh no! Not what i want to hear. Are you sure its the street version?

Does it sound good ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

it shouldn't be too much louder with the street version since the primary cats are still intact. it'll probably be a good bit louder when you get on the throttle, but it will hardly be noticeably louder when you're just tip-toeing around town. the sport x-pipe made my car seem twice as loud when I floor it, but when I'm just driving around leisurely it's not much louder. best of both worlds, IMO.

and the quality of the piece is incredible. nothing left to be desired in that dept.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

I dunno how much louder it will make the race...but rest assured there will be a volume increase. I was just in an e90 m3 with gintani race and challenge street x pipe... It was LOUDDDDDDDDDD!
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
The tq/hp gain is a given since the secondary cats are eliminated. There will be a significant increase in exhaust tone, I have not yet had the chance to hear the Gintani/Challenge combo in person.

If you'd like to drop by once installed, we can have a clip recorded and post here on the forum.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

hey bro WOW we were just talking about you getting this last week and now you ordered it...

Yea i love your exhaust dude it sounds perfect already but adding this... should sound more insane you probably would love it again. but leaving in Glendale might not help since most cops are anal in your area. good luck give us the feedback once its installed.
      02-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Can't wait to hear this thing! Post a video
      02-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
Hey guys,

Just ordered challenge x pipe (street version), and i cant wait to put it on! How do you owners like the quality of this, eventhough its challenge im sure no reason to think twice. Their quality is the best. I have a Gintani race exhaust and how much louder will the street version make it? To be honest im real nervous, I hope the cops dont bust me everytime I drive as the car is pretty loud as is. Did you x pipe street owners notice a power bump? Im hoping for some increased low end torque.

Thx to nate at IND

I'd love to hear your opinion on it after the install. I have a Gintani race and am considering this exact midpipe setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
Hey guys,

Thx to nate at IND
Thats what im running on my car,It didn't make it louder but it made it deeper,more exotic especially at higher rpm.heres a link to a video that i took on the dyno to give u an idea.that combo will put a smile on ur face every time u drive ur car.and BTW....i get thumbs up from cops all the time and they ask me to rev it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
hey bro WOW we were just talking about you getting this last week and now you ordered it...

Yea i love your exhaust dude it sounds perfect already but adding this... should sound more insane you probably would love it again. but leaving in Glendale might not help since most cops are anal in your area. good luck give us the feedback once its installed.
Patience was never my good friend lol, I'll just have to wait and see. I member the first day I got the Gintani race, i was very uncomfy driving it back. I had a friend drive my car while I was standing outside and i could hear it for blocks. I was thinking I'll never upgrade. Now i cant wait!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The tq/hp gain is a given since the secondary cats are eliminated. There will be a significant increase in exhaust tone, I have not yet had the chance to hear the Gintani/Challenge combo in person.

If you'd like to drop by once installed, we can have a clip recorded and post here on the forum.
Ill see what I can do Tom, however I got a canon rebel t2i with hd video, im sure itll do very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
I dunno how much louder it will make the race...but rest assured there will be a volume increase. I was just in an e90 m3 with gintani race and challenge street x pipe... It was LOUDDDDDDDDDD!
muhahahah! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
it shouldn't be too much louder with the street version since the primary cats are still intact. it'll probably be a good bit louder when you get on the throttle, but it will hardly be noticeably louder when you're just tip-toeing around town. the sport x-pipe made my car seem twice as loud when I floor it, but when I'm just driving around leisurely it's not much louder. best of both worlds, IMO.

and the quality of the piece is incredible. nothing left to be desired in that dept.
This is exactly what im looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Can't wait to hear this thing! Post a video
I will nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
I'd love to hear your opinion on it after the install. I have a Gintani race and am considering this exact midpipe setup.
Ill let you know bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Thats what im running on my car,It didn't make it louder but it made it deeper,more exotic especially at higher rpm.heres a link to a video that i took on the dyno to give u an idea.that combo will put a smile on ur face every time u drive ur car.and BTW....i get thumbs up from cops all the time and they ask me to rev it up.
exotic, ive gotten thumps up from cops before too. Ive been told to rev it however never do, Im scared I keep thinking its a trap.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:05 AM   #12
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

My next mod will be the challenge x-pipe street version together with my gintani sport.
Will the street version delete the sec cats? Will the exhaust get louder or will the tone just get deeper?

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:03 AM   #13
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomis View Post
My next mod will be the challenge x-pipe street version together with my gintani sport.
Will the street version delete the sec cats? Will the exhaust get louder or will the tone just get deeper?
yes its a sec. cat delete.it will make it deeper not louder.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:14 AM   #14
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

I'd be curious to know if anyone has the Challenge X pipe (street) with a stock muffler.

Considering the small (if any) gains you get from an axle-back, maybe keep the stock muffler and add the X Pipe. I'd be curious about the gains for that. Make it a little bit of a sleeper.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
I'd be curious to know if anyone has the Challenge X pipe (street) with a stock muffler.

Considering the small (if any) gains you get from an axle-back, maybe keep the stock muffler and add the X Pipe. I'd be curious about the gains for that. Make it a little bit of a sleeper.
Isn't the oem muffler highly restrictive?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #16
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Isn't the oem muffler highly restrictive?
No it is not...... if it were highly restrictive then gains for rear mufflers (cat-back exhaust systems) would be much higher than 3-5 HP. The majority of the restriction in the M3's exhaust system lies in the OEM Catalytic Convertors.

Adding an X-pipe, either catless or with high flow cats makes a nice gain even with the stock muffler.
      02-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #17
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Adding an X-pipe, either catless or with high flow cats makes a nice gain even with the stock muffler.
Any idea how much?

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #18
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Any idea how much?
For some reason I thought someone on here added an xpipe to the OEM exhaust, not sure if they dyno'd it or not though.

Edit: Found the thread. Borla catless xpipe on OEM. Mentions that vendor stated: On the dyno, the midpipe made 10rwhp/10rwtq on top of a tune/pulley

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318537

Last edited by Jaypod; 02-15-2011 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
For some reason I thought someone on here added an xpipe to the OEM exhaust, not sure if they dyno'd it or not though.

Edit: Found the thread. Borla catless xpipe on OEM. Mentions that vendor stated: On the dyno, the midpipe made 10rwhp/10rwtq on top of a tune/pulley

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318537
Thank you Sir

Not for nothing....That thing sounds GREAT

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #20
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Ahh, this thread is making me want an xpipe...
      02-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #21
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

im trying to do the same thing
arqray race + catless aa xpipe = i am scared if it will be too much for a dd around town, i dont care how loud it is uptop or when im hard on the throttle, but idle and around town will it be much louder? arqray is already loudest at like 1900 - 2100 rpm...which i pass thru in the city...
sorry for the jack, u just got me thinkin to ask about this setup here
      02-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #22
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
im trying to do the same thing
arqray race + catless aa xpipe = i am scared if it will be too much for a dd around town, i dont care how loud it is uptop or when im hard on the throttle, but idle and around town will it be much louder? arqray is already loudest at like 1900 - 2100 rpm...which i pass thru in the city...
sorry for the jack, u just got me thinkin to ask about this setup here
I'm sure Tom at EAS can set you up with a good package for the Arqray + Challenge Race X pipe ( catless ). He can give you some good feedback on his experiences with that exhaust combo too.
Appreciate 0