ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Do I need a new battery

I have a late '06 z4mc with 12,000kms which I bought a couple of months ago. I drive it a few times a week, some short trips, some longer trips.

It always starts first go but sometimes seems to struggle a little to turn over. I think its the original battery, do you think I might need a new battery, or is it something else?

Thanks

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

^ same thing happens with mine mate. Sometimes it seems like it takes a bit to start.
In the 2.5yrs ive had it - ive had to jump start it twice but I dont think the battery is going to die anytime soon.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

I bought mine with 28k miles. According to the service history, BMW replaced the battery at 22k miles due to being a faulty battery. If I am not mistaken, this is quite common with the 2006 models. If you still have warranty you may want to hit up your local BMW dealership and see if you can get it replaced. They aren't cheap!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I would hold off until the car doesn't start on the first crank.

On a car that's not driven daily, the fuel pressure upon start "leaks down" and the very first crank usually takes a split second or two longer than usual since the fuel pump needs to "prime" up. My '06 had the "long crank" ever since it went from being driven daily to about once a week.

What prompted me to replace the battery was when the first crank takes 2-3 seconds to turn the engine over and all the electronics goes crazy.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I would hold off until the car doesn't start on the first crank.

On a car that's not driven daily, the fuel pressure upon start "leaks down" and the very first crank usually takes a split second or two longer than usual since the fuel pump needs to "prime" up. My '06 had the "long crank" ever since it went from being driven daily to about once a week.

What prompted me to replace the battery was when the first crank takes 2-3 seconds to turn the engine over and all the electronics goes crazy.
+1 on this. When you turn the key, pause in position 1 or whatever it is before the crank for a couple of seconds and let the fuel pump to come on and suck some gas. Don't turn it over in one motion on a cold start. That has been my experience and it works great

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

The other thing to keep in mind is that the oil that is used in the M cars is much thicker than the standard oil and requires more effort to crank when the weather is very cold. I've noticed a difference in the amount of laboring of the starter during the winter vs. the summer and I think some of this has to due with dealing with the 10w60 oil.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I even make sure I have the auto lights OFF and a/c OFF. I do turn the key to the first position for a couple of seconds and then crank it over. Its really not 2 bad, just different to my 130i with the push button its instant start.

This morning though it started very quickly. Go figure. I'll just wait till it dies.

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 0