BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep
Drives: See my Sig

M3 questions pertaining to options I'm considering...

Greetings Gents,
(EDIT: 3/8/11 - I've decided to go with an additional option... leather interior)

So I was up late a good portion of last night surfing our site here and building my own E92 M3 on the BMW USA site (GREAT way to spend the late hours of the night, lol). After going thru the options I've narrowed my list to the 5 below with any questions I have listed there:

1) Heated Seats (I spent about a grand for the parts and labor to completely retrofit heated seats along with all the applicable wiring harnesses, etc. on my 323i, so this time around I want it straight from the factory, lol)

2) Alarm System - QUESTION - For those of you who had the alarm system on your E46 BMWs, is the alarm system for the E9X M3 the exact same or are there any improvements with this alarm system?

3) BMW Assist with Bluetooth - QUESTION - Honestly I'm getting this option mainly for the bluetooth capability... question I have is supposed the bluetooth is enabled inside the car to my iPhone, and suppose I do NOT have the Navigation System... when someone calls me then will I see the caller id information (phone number and/or name?) on the headunit screen or would I need to have the Navigation System's screen to see that info?

4) Ipod/USB adapter - QUESTION - Where exactly would this adapter be situated? In the glovebox?

5) Leather Interior - Either black leather or go Individual - black with red stitching

Thanks,
Navin

BMW Individual Atlantis Metallic Twin Screw S/C'ed 5spd 2000 323i
SPONSORED BY: BBS | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts | Race Apeel

Last edited by Navin323i; 03-08-2011 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I had an alarm on my E46 M3, I'm not sure what differences you would be looking for, and I would NEVER have a car like this without an alarm. The iPod is in the glovebox, or you can use the aux jack in the arm rest. thats the extent of my help.
      03-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

I'd think leather is easier to clean than cloth. Either way you've got to keep it clean or it will not last well. I use a sheet of that rubbery toolbox liner to protect my seats from the child seat's hard plastic edges... keeps the leather from getting dented and keeps little feet from getting mud and scratches on the edge of the seat.
I don't know enough to answer the rest of your questions other than to say if you know you'll want the alarm and heated seats it seems cheaper and easier to get them from the factory than DIY later.
What pisses me off is you have to take the whole premium package to get lumbar adjust IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
I had an alarm on my E46 M3, I'm not sure what differences you would be looking for, and I would NEVER have a car like this without an alarm. The iPod is in the glovebox, or you can use the aux jack in the arm rest. thats the extent of my help.
I was just curious whether BMW has updated/improved their alarm system (possibly by adding more features) on the alarm system they offer for the E9X M3 versus the alarm you bought for your E46 M3, that's all.

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts | Race Apeel
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
I'd think leather is easier to clean than cloth. Either way you've got to keep it clean or it will not last well. I use a sheet of that rubbery toolbox liner to protect my seats from the child seat's hard plastic edges... keeps the leather from getting dented and keeps little feet from getting mud and scratches on the edge of the seat.
I don't know enough to answer the rest of your questions other than to say if you know you'll want the alarm and heated seats it seems cheaper and easier to get them from the factory than DIY later.
What pisses me off is you have to take the whole premium package to get lumbar adjust IIRC.
Thanks for the info!

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
The newer M3's are no longer pre-wired for an alarm. The cheapest way to get the alarm it is order it with the build these days.
      03-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin323i View Post
Greetings Gents,

So I was up late a good portion of last night surfing our site here and building my own E92 M3 on the BMW USA site (GREAT way to spend the late hours of the night, lol). After going thru the options I've narrowed my list to the 4 below with any questions I have listed there:

1) Heated Seats (I spent about a grand for the parts and labor to completely retrofit heated seats along with all the applicable wiring harnesses, etc. on my 323i, so this time around I want it straight from the factory, lol)

2) Alarm System - QUESTION - For those of you who had the alarm system on your E46 BMWs, is the alarm system for the E9X M3 the exact same or are there any improvements with this alarm system?

3) BMW Assist with Bluetooth - QUESTION - Honestly I'm getting this option mainly for the bluetooth capability... question I have is supposed the bluetooth is enabled inside the car to my iPhone, and suppose I do NOT have the Navigation System... when someone calls me then will I see the caller id information (phone number and/or name?) on the headunit screen or would I need to have the Navigation System's screen to see that info?

4) Ipod/USB adapter - QUESTION - Where exactly would this adapter be situated? In the glovebox?

Finally, I'm toying with the idea of leather interior, but I'm thinking just going with the anthracite cloth/leather interior. Is this a bad idea considering I have kids and will have their car seats in the rear seats? I'm thinking anthracite cloth/leather interior is easier to clean than full leather... correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Navin
You may want to look at the spec sheet because I believe that you need Navigation in order to have BT/BMW Assist. Double-check though!

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-03-2011 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

The iPod/USB adapter is just a cable that on one end plugs into your iPod and on the other plugs into both the USB and AUX inputs in the center armrest. USB connection to control the iPod, get track/file information from iPod displayed in your car, and charge the iPod. AUX connection for sound reproduction.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RATED ///M3 View Post
The newer M3's are no longer pre-wired for an alarm. The cheapest way to get the alarm it is order it with the build these days.
I didn't realize that they stopped pre wiring them but I haven't checked the model changes that closely. It makes sense for them to do it from the factory but at the same time more of a pita if your picking one up off the lot and dealer has to do it. When I ordered my car I got the alarm but they dealer ended up installing it, which I was not to happy about for the possibility of damaging something on my new car

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
Looks like that is not the case...

Per the BMWUSA website's list of standard features on the E92 M3:

• Power-adjustable front sport seats with 4-way lumbar support, manually adjustable thigh support and memory system for driver's seat and outside mirrors

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
You may want to look at the spec sheet because I believe that you need Navigation in order to have BT/BMW Assist. Double-check though!
I would have thought that too, but it appears that is not the case... when you go to build your BMW on the BMWUSA site, it allows you to select the option for BT/BMW assist with no mention that you must get the Navigation system.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs***** View Post
The iPod/USB adapter is just a cable that on one end plugs into your iPod and on the other plugs into both the USB and AUX inputs in the center armrest. USB connection to control the iPod, get track/file information from iPod displayed in your car, and charge the iPod. AUX connection for sound reproduction.
Do you get full iPod access or does it just list the total playlist and you have to scroll through each song individually to ge to the one you want?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
Do you get full iPod access or does it just list the total playlist and you have to scroll through each song individually to ge to the one you want?
You can search and play songs by an individual Artist or Album. You can also just have it shuffle through your entire library. Doing all this with iDrive is easy. I don't know what it's like w/out iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
3) If you get BMW Assist then you can qualify for an insurance discount since BMW Assist can locate your vehicle in case of a theft. They can usually locate it within a few minutes and they will work with your local police.

4) Center console and passenger dash storage bin.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Looks like that is not the case...

Per the BMWUSA website's list of standard features on the E92 M3:

• Power-adjustable front sport seats with 4-way lumbar support, manually adjustable thigh support and memory system for driver's seat and outside mirrors

Power seats aren't standard; manual seats are. The manual seats do come with power adjustable lumbar and side bolsters however. Manual seats also do not allow for driver seat memory (..obviously) and the passenger side mirror does not tilt when the transmission is in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerM View Post
3) If you get BMW Assist then you can qualify for an insurance discount since BMW Assist can locate your vehicle in case of a theft. They can usually locate it within a few minutes and they will work with your local police.

This isn't entirely true. State Farm does not offer any additional discounts, and many other insurances don't either. It's best to check with your carrier to confirm.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-03-2011 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
After going thru the options I've narrowed my list to the 4 below with any questions I have listed there:

1) Heated Seats
2) Alarm System
3) BMW Assist with Bluetooth
4) Ipod/USB adapter
I like your list. No need to spec the car with stuff you don't need, and it will be as light as possible. I'd probably even skip on the heated seats for an E92 (a must in the E93 though! ), and also the alarm cuz I don't need it (but I understand this is a necessary thing in certain metropolitan areas around the country).

One thing though - check out pics of the standard Titanium Shadow interior trim here on the forum. It's electoplated plastic, not true metal. You might want to at least consider upgrading to the true aluminum trim for $500.

Quote:
QUESTION - Honestly I'm getting this option mainly for the bluetooth capability... question I have is supposed the bluetooth is enabled inside the car to my iPhone, and suppose I do NOT have the Navigation System... when someone calls me then will I see the caller id information (phone number and/or name?) on the headunit screen or would I need to have the Navigation System's screen to see that info?
First off, you definitely do not need IDrive for Bluetooth. I have a single-hump car and still have Bluetooth/Assist. Secondly, yes the caller ID does indeed come up on the headunit screen. I honestly can't remember if it shows both name and number or just the name though. It also assigns a "yes/no" function to two of the head unit buttons for you to answer the call (or not). Optionally, you can answer using the phone button on the wheel too.

Quote:
QUESTION - Where exactly would this adapter be situated? In the glovebox?
No, the one in the glovebox is only included when you get IDrive. It's used to upload songs and other data to the internal harddrive, not to play music from an external device. The one you'll get will be in center console.

Quote:
Finally, I'm toying with the idea of leather interior, but I'm thinking just going with the anthracite cloth/leather interior. Is this a bad idea considering I have kids and will have their car seats in the rear seats? I'm thinking anthracite cloth/leather interior is easier to clean than full leather... correct me if I'm wrong.
Not sure the cloth will be easier to clean, but it will probably wear better and work a little better with child seats too. If I could have gotten cloth with my E93, I would have.

By the way, why the E92? With two kids in carseats in back, you may strongly want to consider an E90. At the very least I would try out an E92 (doesn't have to be an M3) in the showroom with the kids and their seats to make sure it is a livable situation for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #17
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This isn't entirely true. State Farm does not offer any additional discounts, and many other insurances don't either. It's best to check with your carrier to confirm.
Good point, I should have been more cautious with my comments. I should have specifically said that if you have Liberty Mutual (as I do) you can qualify for an insurance discounts for having BMW Assist. Your mileage may vary with other carriers and best to ask them first.

Thanks for the correction.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #18
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^geico does the same

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #19
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

You guys are lucky (..not that I'm paying out-the-ass with SF or anything; they do treat me very well).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #20
Blade929
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ci - E90 ///M - 330 - X5D

Navin if you want to drive my car sometime let me know and we can link up.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #21
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Power seats aren't standard; manual seats are. The manual seats do come with power adjustable lumbar and side bolsters however. Manual seats also do not allow for driver seat memory (..obviously) and the passenger side mirror does not tilt when the transmission is in reverse.

Hmmm.... I wonder why the BMW site indicates as a standard feature, "Power-adjustable front sport seats with 4-way lumbar support, manually adjustable thigh support and memory system for driver's seat and outside mirrors".
Is the BMW site just wrong here?

I was about to say the same thing... State Farm doesn't offer any additional discounts.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #22
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
^^geico does the same
Geico offers the discount for BMW Assist? Cool... I have Geico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
Navin if you want to drive my car sometime let me know and we can link up.
Hey Darby! I'd definitely be interested in meeting up with you, bro! Hope you've been doing well.

Appreciate 0