BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Arrow E92 M3 6MT gear crunch in 2nd and 3rd @ the dealer for "inspection"

I took my M3 to the dealer to see about my previously posted issue with the 6MT gearbox. I've had this crunch going into 2nd and a full out grind going into 3rd where it has kicked the shifter back out of 3rd when the clutch is released under heavy acceleration. It's been a problem for the 2,000 miles I've owned the car since I purchased it used from another dealer. Anyway a shop guy drove it with me around the block and pointed out the crunch, he said he could hear it in the shifting and feel it in the shifter. However after 2 days with my car they've called me up and said they cant find anything wrong with the car, but are keeping it one more day to look at it. I am rather dissapointed that at first they offered up that it didn't feel right and that it wasn't like others that they have driven, but now they are saying there's nothing wrong with it. How can I proceed from here with them? I feel like they are trying to get out of repairing it until I am out of warranty. 2 years from now when I do need a new transmission from the ground up gears in the gearbox they will deny me service because it is out of warranty. I'm dissapointed. The tech who drove my car said the shifter should be smooth and it clearly wasn't so how can they now say they didn't find anything wrong? It's not like they opened the gearbox on site. I assume they checked the clutch and anything beyond clutch issues they will write off until I am out of warranty. Does anyone have any advice or been down this road with a dealer before?

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I would find another dealer. Just like getting a second opinion from a Doctor my friend.

Take a drive to the next largest dealership let them give you a loaner and let them resolve it.

That is what I would do. It certainly does NOT sound right.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I would find another dealer. Just like getting a second opinion from a Doctor my friend.

Take a drive to the next largest dealership let them give you a loaner and let them resolve it.

That is what I would do. It certainly does NOT sound right.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
They called today and are holding the car another day to look into a possible clutch issue. Not sure how that relates to a grind selecting gears. Possibly the clutch isn't fully releasing? They didn't offer a reason to suspect the clutch.
Anyway I'll post back when I know more.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 White/Fox Red CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
I took my M3 to the dealer to see about my previously posted issue with the 6MT gearbox. I've had this crunch going into 2nd and a full out grind going into 3rd where it has kicked the shifter back out of 3rd when the clutch is released under heavy acceleration. It's been a problem for the 2,000 miles I've owned the car since I purchased it used from another dealer. Anyway a shop guy drove it with me around the block and pointed out the crunch, he said he could hear it in the shifting and feel it in the shifter. However after 2 days with my car they've called me up and said they cant find anything wrong with the car, but are keeping it one more day to look at it. I am rather dissapointed that at first they offered up that it didn't feel right and that it wasn't like others that they have driven, but now they are saying there's nothing wrong with it. How can I proceed from here with them? I feel like they are trying to get out of repairing it until I am out of warranty. 2 years from now when I do need a new transmission from the ground up gears in the gearbox they will deny me service because it is out of warranty. I'm dissapointed. The tech who drove my car said the shifter should be smooth and it clearly wasn't so how can they now say they didn't find anything wrong? It's not like they opened the gearbox on site. I assume they checked the clutch and anything beyond clutch issues they will write off until I am out of warranty. Does anyone have any advice or been down this road with a dealer before?

Bring it in three times if they don't fix it then tell them you are going to lemon the car. Make sure they document on the invoice that they indeed identified an issue while driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 04:36 AM   #5
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbimmer View Post
Bring it in three times if they don't fix it then tell them you are going to lemon the car. Make sure they document on the invoice that they indeed identified an issue while driving.
They bled the clutch and found air in the line. They "said" the clutch wasn't fully releasing with the air in the lines causing the shifting to crunch due to it not releasing from the engine during the next gear selection. I got the car back today and have about 15 miles on it, It is slightly smoother, but I still notice the crunch on 2nd and a solid gear grind into 3rd.

They wrote it up saying they compared it to another m3 on the lot and it
shifted the same as that car so they decided it was factory OK. I'm unhappy

As a side note I had the car in for 4 new tires at the same time. Ehh, not too happy with the work. At least they didn't scatch my rims, but they returned the car with this tire pressure (LF to LR clockwise): 29, 36, 31, 42. I'd really like to know who the blind guy was who filled my tires. Apparently he is the same guy who balanced my tires because the steering wheel now shakes at 80mph like a POS dodge. When I dropped it off you could balance an egg on the steering wheel it was so smooth.

In regards to the transmission - The writeup says "NORMAL GEAR GATE NOISE FOR GS6-53BZ DUAL PLATE CLUTCH GEARBOX"
normal eeeeh?
isn't this GS6-53BZ the same one used on the M6 with 500hp? how could it be screwed up with my measly 414hp.
Ugh, please dont tell me I have to trade this in on a DCT. I really wanted the 6 speed.
Appreciate 0