ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
black sapphire and swirls etc.

Hey guys, posted this to say hello and got one response, so I thought I'd create a new thread and see if any other owners chime in. I've been lurking for weeks now reading and learning about the Z4MR. I have been searching for a Titanium Silver or Silver grey one with black interior, carbon leather, Nav, and premium pkg. When you seek that particular set of requirements I guess you have to be patient. I have located a few Black Sapphire cars with all the other requirements. My question to any other Black Sapphire owners is this: does the car suffer from all the usual detailing issues a regular black car has? I love the look of black when detailed correctly, but swore I would never own another one because they are so hard to keep looking good. I am not familiar with how well the metallic variance in the Black Sapphire might mask swirls and spider webs, etc. in the finish. I hope to be posting sometime in the near future as an owner. Thanks for your advice on the color!

John

Last edited by antennahead; 03-09-2011 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Yeah, all paint suffers from swirls if people wash in circular motions. I'm guessing from your post you already know detailing basics. Like two wash buckets, only move your sponge from front to back, etc. They say Darker paint just shows the marks easier, but in my experience, the worst thing you can do is to actually learn about swirl marks. My life was so much easier when I thought my car was clean when there was no dirt on it! Now I'm looking into the paint to see how clear the reflections are.
Arrghhh! I've got three black cars!!! Ignorance was truelly blissful!
But to try and answer your question, I've had the car for two years, and put 6000 miles on it in two years. I usually keep it under a car cover, but outdoors. This summer I plan on clay bar-ing, and polishing the paint, which will be the first time I've needed to do it. So the clarity lasted for two years, all be it low mileage years.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I clay bar, use a porter cable orbital buffer, all the usual detailing requirements. I just have to admit that as I am getting older, the thought of having to break out the orbital buffer every week because the usual issues with a black car are driving me nuts .............. it's not an exciting prospect. It's why I was hoping the metallic aspect of the black sapphire would help mask some of the surface imperfections that are inevitable......... at least to the point I maybe only have to polish every few months
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

I am on my 5th black vehicle. As far as showing any dirt, dust, etc...sure you know it shows. but once clean, nothing looks as good!

If black is an issue...the red, and grey ones would be my next choices. sporty and yet refined!

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko521 View Post
I am on my 5th black vehicle. As far as showing any dirt, dust, etc...sure you know it shows. but once clean, nothing looks as good!

If black is an issue...the red, and grey ones would be my next choices. sporty and yet refined!
Thanks, I do agree. The detailed black sapphire cars look phenominal. It's a toss up for me between titanium silver, silver grey, and black saphire, and the winner will most likely be the car at the right price close to me with decent mileage that has Nav and premium package with a black interior
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
HaiDef
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

are you looking to get rid of you 370z?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Your swirl concern are valid, sadly....

That said, one paint correction should fix the problems from the prior owner and it sounds like you know what you are doing, so don't rule it out.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
Your swirl concern are valid, sadly....

That said, one paint correction should fix the problems from the prior owner and it sounds like you know what you are doing, so don't rule it out.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdoan86 View Post
are you looking to get rid of you 370z?
Yes, I love driving it, great car, but................. I really miss open air driving. I live on the coast and 10 minutes from the beach, I want a convertible, and the Z4MR has the power and handling I need in a sports car as well as that classic roadster look and feel. Nothing againt the 370, but they are different animals. The temperture is great here all year round as well, so it is top down driving almost every month.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i & 08 M Roadster

We've had both jb and bsm in the family. They both show swirls, but I feel the bsm hides them much better. In fact, I've had my bsm for 1-year and have only clay barred and polished once.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by towski1 View Post
We've had both jb and bsm in the family. They both show swirls, but I feel the bsm hides them much better. In fact, I've had my bsm for 1-year and have only clay barred and polished once.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0