BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
PITA
Rotarys rule
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Cab

Who here oil sprays their 1?

I oil spray my other vehicles (Krown), nothing better IMO to keep rust away.

But with BMW, my dealer said that I'd void my factory rust warranty (BS!), and BMWphiles say that the gauge and galvanized nature of the sheet metal really resists rust.

But I want to listen to those who want to keep their cars a long time and have to endure salty winters - what do you do to keep rust away? The 1 in particular has no alloy panels on the car, so if I do end up passing this car down to my kids, I'm worried they'll have a rusty mess on their hands.

Thoughts?
      03-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think BMW's rust proofing is enough. What I do is NOT let the salt stay on the car very long. Normaly after a few days or maybe a week max - I wash the underside of the car and espcially the wheel wells, rockers and undercarridge out.

Before and after winter - I make sure the car's paint has been sealed and a few coats of wax to boot.
Appreciate 0