BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Last edited by GhostyM; 10-24-2019 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

This has been a big source of contention around here. The Bimmerfile guys reported that all dealers already know which month they'll get an allocation/production slot. That could be May, or it could be November.

Some dealers are either unwilling to share this information with their customer, or might have CAs that are unaware themselves. My dealer appears to fall into the category of "unaware", even when pressed on the matter. As such, I may have to consider a different car. Fore me, potentially waiting until November to find out I cannot even get one is not an appealing prospect.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
This has been a big source of contention around here. The Bimmerfile guys reported that all dealers already know which month they'll get an allocation/production slot. That could be May, or it could be November.

Some dealers are either unwilling to share this information with their customer, or might have CAs that are unaware themselves. My dealer appears to fall into the category of "unaware", even when pressed on the matter. As such, I may have to consider a different car. Fore me, potentially waiting until November to find out I cannot even get one is not an appealing prospect.
+1

I have a production number, however, NOBODY will tell me when the car will be built. I'm pretty certain someone knows this answer.
      04-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
+1

I have a production number, however, NOBODY will tell me when the car will be built. I'm pretty certain someone knows this answer.
I'd say you're in pretty good shape if you already have a production number. This basically means you're guaranteed a car, and I understand that a legit production number mean it will be built sooner rather than later.

Having an actual production number is better than your dealer telling you that they have a production/allocation slot in October (for example) for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

I just spoke with a small TX dealer that has a November allocation for production, so they were able to find out when their allocation is for.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I just spoke with a small TX dealer that has a November allocation for production, so they were able to find out when their allocation is for.
Ya think they could share the tips with BMW of Dallas?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
E821M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/330CI ZHP

CA's are not high enough up the food chain. I would go directly to the Sales Manager or even the owner. The email that was sent out stating how many cars and what month each dealer should expect them to begin production was not sent to any of the CA's at the dealerships. People who really want one of these cars and keep telling themselves that there particular dealer has no way of knowing how many and when are only doing themselves a disservice.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ya think they could share the tips with BMW of Dallas?
The sales manager should have this info. The sales advisors don't. The small dealer I talked to obviously had a sales manager that didn't have a problem sharing this info with the sales advisor I have spoken with.

If the sales advisor says the manager doesn't know, then you will have to go higher up the chain. The info is there, just might be that certain sales managers don't want to release it to their staff.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
cbeebe72
Rep
Drives: Gathering info on the 1M

My local sales manager told me their only allocation is in December.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps1m View Post
CA's are not high enough up the food chain. I would go directly to the Sales Manager or even the owner. The email that was sent out stating how many cars and what month each dealer should expect them to begin production was not sent to any of the CA's at the dealerships. People who really want one of these cars and keep telling themselves that there particular dealer has no way of knowing how many and when are only doing themselves a disservice.
Quote:
The sales manager should have this info. The sales advisors don't. The small dealer I talked to obviously had a sales manager that didn't have a problem sharing this info with the sales advisor I have spoken with.

If the sales advisor says the manager doesn't know, then you will have to go higher up the chain. The info is there, just might be that certain sales managers don't want to release it to their staff.
I believe you are both probably correct. After explaining the above scenario to my CA, and getting a "that's not how it works" response, I'm not sure I even want to be bothered with contacting a sales manager at this point. Meaning, all of this allocation ambiguity is starting to frustrate me to the point where I'm considering an M3 instead. Everything appears straightforward with ordering an M3. I thought I could handle the 6+ months of uncertainty, but my patience is wearing thin. I have a pretty narrow window that I'd like to take an ED trip, but even committing to buying a car (deposit on 1M) 10 months early does not seem to secure my plans.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #11
C'sM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xdrive wagon

just put down my deposit!

I just put down my deposit for ED with my dealership. They told me that it's coming out of their June alocation (they supposedly have 1M alocations every month?). My SA said that he'll let me know in 2-3 weeks the delivery date. I'm shooting for mid to late July to pick it up in Munich. He showed my the email he received from the BMWNA ED division stating they had ED availability for July; however, it didn't say what dates were available?

I think that one of the reasons there's such a difference between dealerships and availability has to do with their relationship with BMWNA. It seems that some dealerships that have higher sales volumes have more pull? However, you never know? I could find out that my SA has been BS'ing me? I doubt they would jeopardize their reputation just to get me to put down a fully refundable deposit though?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'sM3 View Post
I just put down my deposit for ED with my dealership. They told me that it's coming out of their June alocation (they supposedly have 1M alocations every month?). My SA said that he'll let me know in 2-3 weeks the delivery date. I'm shooting for mid to late July to pick it up in Munich. He showed my the email he received from the BMWNA ED division stating they had ED availability for July; however, it didn't say what dates were available?

I think that one of the reasons there's such a difference between dealerships and availability has to do with their relationship with BMWNA. It seems that some dealerships that have higher sales volumes have more pull? However, you never know? I could find out that my SA has been BS'ing me? I doubt they would jeopardize their reputation just to get me to put down a fully refundable deposit though?

ED dates are NINETY days out right now. As in the ED department at BMW AG is asking dealers to schedule at 90 days... more than likely you are looking at August.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

Quote:
ED dates are NINETY days out right now. As in the ED department at BMW AG is asking dealers to schedule at 90 days... more than likely you are looking at August.
I agree, when I got my 1M allocation on March 10th, the earliest ED available was June 7th
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #14
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
I believe you are both probably correct. After explaining the above scenario to my CA, and getting a "that's not how it works" response, I'm not sure I even want to be bothered with contacting a sales manager at this point. Meaning, all of this allocation ambiguity is starting to frustrate me to the point where I'm considering an M3 instead. Everything appears straightforward with ordering an M3. I thought I could handle the 6+ months of uncertainty, but my patience is wearing thin. I have a pretty narrow window that I'd like to take an ED trip, but even committing to buying a car (deposit on 1M) 10 months early does not seem to secure my plans.

I don't doubt that you are getting the " that's how it works routine.
I got confirmation from an Austin rep about their allocations being known as he told me they don't want to have anyone else in line because all their allocations are spoken for plus more waiting. I then contacted another dealer and found a young (newby) CA and told him.. hey... this is what I have been finding.. .. the 1M is NOT being handled like any other car. He went to the sales manager and his manager released the info..

Sam, if you are working at Classic or BOD, I am sure that the sales reps there probably have no clue, and I bet the sales manager might not even know (or care enough to see that this is a bit different than what their normal course of business is).

I'm also fairly confident that the DALLAS dealers don't even try or know how to sell the 1 series and Z models. I went to a DE in Austin a few weels back and there were TONS of 1 series models. It's rare that I even SEE a 1 series here in Dallas. I'm convinced that the dealers here are pumping out 3 and 5 series and could care less about the 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
C'sM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, 90 days is what they say for ED but if you do the math 90 days from today is July 22nd. The dates I requested are the 15th, 18th, and 20th. They might say that this is not possible? Only time will tell. I'll keep you posted when my SA notifies me B-)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

Quote:
Yes, 90 days is what they say for ED but if you do the math 90 days from today is July 22nd. The dates I requested are the 15th, 18th, and 20th. They might say that this is not possible? Only time will tell. I'll keep you posted when my SA notifies me B-)
FYI- I found out that prices for flights are much cheaper if you stay over the weekend and fly out Monday
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #17
C'sM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

planning a long trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21450 View Post
FYI- I found out that prices for flights are much cheaper if you stay over the weekend and fly out Monday
Thanks for the info. I'm actually going to be in Europe for 4-5 weeks so ill be there for more than a couple wknds B-) I go to Greece every summer for about 4 weeks and decided to buy the 1M and than drive it down from Germany through the Alps down through Italy and than taking a ferry to Greece. Of course I'll make a couple stops like the nurenburg ring, stutgart, maybe ferrari?.... etc than I plan on returning back to Germany and ship the car to the states. In my opinion its not worth dropping off in Italy because BMW charges extra for the drop off in Italy plus a multidestination ticket costs more. Oh well, I'll just have to drive the ultimate driving machine on roads it was designed for. Poor me B-)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm actually going to be in Europe for 4-5 weeks so ill be there for more than a couple wknds B-) I go to Greece every summer for about 4 weeks and decided to buy the 1M and than drive it down from Germany through the Alps down through Italy and than taking a ferry to Greece. Of course I'll make a couple stops like the nurenburg ring, stutgart, maybe ferrari?.... etc than I plan on returning back to Germany and ship the car to the states. In my opinion its not worth dropping off in Italy because BMW charges extra for the drop off in Italy plus a multidestination ticket costs more. Oh well, I'll just have to drive the ultimate driving machine on roads it was designed for. Poor me B-)

sounds like an awesome trip. Hope you get the July date you are loooking for.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't doubt that you are getting the " that's how it works routine.
I got confirmation from an Austin rep about their allocations being known as he told me they don't want to have anyone else in line because all their allocations are spoken for plus more waiting. I then contacted another dealer and found a young (newby) CA and told him.. hey... this is what I have been finding.. .. the 1M is NOT being handled like any other car. He went to the sales manager and his manager released the info..

Sam, if you are working at Classic or BOD, I am sure that the sales reps there probably have no clue, and I bet the sales manager might not even know (or care enough to see that this is a bit different than what their normal course of business is).

I'm also fairly confident that the DALLAS dealers don't even try or know how to sell the 1 series and Z models. I went to a DE in Austin a few weels back and there were TONS of 1 series models. It's rare that I even SEE a 1 series here in Dallas. I'm convinced that the dealers here are pumping out 3 and 5 series and could care less about the 1.
Yep, I'm working with BOD. Patience wearing thin.... lure of V8 + DCT very strong.... someone stop me....

And you're right, I rarely see any 1s around here. Once a week I spot an E82 or E88, but they are usually 128i.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #20
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

I ordered my E93 M3 and 328i 1 week ago... Got a July 7th for my M3 and June 30th for the 328i.

Me and my son: E93 M3.
My wife and daughter: 328i.
My son (again): Picks up his 1M ED whenever he gets the allocation. :P
4 weeks each whoooo hoo. :P
Appreciate 0