BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

I'm thinking if getting the PS installed when I pick it up new

I should be getting my new 135 within a week or two. After reading everything here I think I'm going to be disappointed with the body roll.

When I went from a 350Z to my present 328xi I was and am still am not happy with how much it leans when cornering.

Am I going to feel same way with the 135? Is the 328 about the same as the stock 135 in terms of body lean? They never seem to have one for test driving.

I'm thinking of calling the dealer and getting them to just install the PS before I pick it up. This way I can just add it to the price of that car.

TIA
      04-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
xi's don't come with sport suspension, so the 135i should be generally stiffer than the 328xi and lean a bit less. I have the BMW Performance suspension, and it still does have some lean as well, but it is a significant improvement. I felt it made the car more comfortable on the highways, more confident in everyday driving, and much more capable for performance type driving. If you just want to make the car perform better and don't mind sacrificing a bit of comfort on bumpy roads or if you don't want a slammed car that is super stiff for regular road racing, I would highly recommend getting the performance suspension. Probably getting it done before delivery would be convenient. Unless you think you'll eventually want coilovers or something more extreme, I think the BMW PS is a great choice!

Tim
      04-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would go for the PS. So many people here have said it IS how the car should have come from the factory. High praise indeed. I know it is my next mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Not to counter or change your mind but I was on the same road about getting the BMW PS. My SA advised me to try the car for a bit and then decide. The reason he did this is I had previously only driven 09 & 10 135's. He told me how they had changed the spring rates (actually went from progressive to linier). When I received my 2011 I did notice a change/difference in the road manners. This of course is based on my desires and needs for the car. I don't autoX or track it, it's mostly a weekend'er, it's driven at all sorts of speeds upto unrestricted speed autobahn runs, and I hit a spirited run over back roads a few times a month. I am in the process of installing an E9X M3 sway (time is precious now). IMO the car handles quite well, even with the RFT's, and I am quite pleased with it. You will see a definate increase in handling prowess compared to your current ride.......

but then again if I were in possession of say 4k extra in my budget I think K&W's would be on order just because.....
Appreciate 0