BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
RichieP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 E90  [10.00]
Recall on ecu coolant system recognition

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has run across this yet. I brought my 2010 E90 M3 in to the dealer for safety inspection (just hitting the one year mark). The service advisor says that there is a recall notice on the car to update this programming that allows them to do diagnostic on the cooling system. Otherwise their computers cant do the diagnostic on that system to see if there are any problems. He said it would take 4 hrs to do. So I asked him what exactly they were going to do and if they were going to flash the whole ECU? ( as I have the ESS tune I didn't want t do that unless it was a significant upgrade as I would then have to send the ecu back to ESS for reflash). He doesn't know the answer so he asks the "Master technician" who says that it will update the part of the system that needs it but he couldnt guarantee that it wouldnt change the ecu tune. Told them I didnt have time right now for that so just to get the inspection done.

So, anyone also get this recall and does anyone know if they flash the whole ecu?

Thanks

2010 E90 ///M3 : /SG/M-DCT/19" HRE P40s w/Yokohama AD08s/Vorsteiner CF Aero fr lip and rear splitter/Akra Evolution w/ akra ESS tune/Macht Schnell CAI/CF Grills & Gilles/Prem pkg/tech pkg/Nav/mnrf
2006 Z06
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has run across this yet. I brought my 2010 E90 M3 in to the dealer for safety inspection (just hitting the one year mark). The service advisor says that there is a recall notice on the car to update this programming that allows them to do diagnostic on the cooling system. Otherwise their computers cant do the diagnostic on that system to see if there are any problems. He said it would take 4 hrs to do. So I asked him what exactly they were going to do and if they were going to flash the whole ECU? ( as I have the ESS tune I didn't want t do that unless it was a significant upgrade as I would then have to send the ecu back to ESS for reflash). He doesn't know the answer so he asks the "Master technician" who says that it will update the part of the system that needs it but he couldnt guarantee that it wouldnt change the ecu tune. Told them I didnt have time right now for that so just to get the inspection done.

So, anyone also get this recall and does anyone know if they flash the whole ecu?

Thanks
If the car is going to spend 4 hours in programming chances are they are going to update the software in the entire car which is comprised of many modules, one of them being the DME. The dealer sometimes can not selectively program modules without updating the software level in the car, which consists of updating all of the respective modules to concurrent versions. Only tools such as Autologic and factory tools can selectively program one ECU versus all of them. It sounds DME related anyway considering it's the cooling system. Its likely your tune will go back to stock.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
RichieP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 E90  [10.00]
Thanks for the response Mike. I had a feeling it was going to be a more global reprogramming. I'll wait until there is something more pressing before I let them to that.

2010 E90 ///M3 : /SG/M-DCT/19" HRE P40s w/Yokohama AD08s/Vorsteiner CF Aero fr lip and rear splitter/Akra Evolution w/ akra ESS tune/Macht Schnell CAI/CF Grills & Gilles/Prem pkg/tech pkg/Nav/mnrf
2006 Z06
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
rbk1115
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acuras & BMWs

Garage List
Anybody have any official information from BMW on this recall?

2009 BMW M3 Sedan
2013 BMW 535i M Sport Sedan
2014 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
raiste
Time is the fire in which we burn.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SSII M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk1115 View Post
Anybody have any official information from BMW on this recall?
The OP's description sounds like SI B28 01 10, which came out last September.
Appreciate 0