New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
solidgold
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Wireless connection to iphone or ipad

I am thinking if this option is possible? Many of us want an ipad or iphone connection to our stereo system. Today possible via a aux-in cable, cradle attached or a Y-cable. This is too cumbersome because you need to hook it up physically with wire running around in the cabin.

In my home, I connect my Ipad or Iphone wirelessly via the Apple airport Express. This device is hooked up to a DAC (pre-amp) or sound processor which works up the rest of the stereo system. So if there is a home solution, I am sure we can have a similar setup in the car. This is great because you can sync this up automatically when you go into your car without the hassle of piecing the cables. Also, it will go thru to your DSPs by passing the Iphone and IPAD DAC (which SQ sucks).

Anyone out there know if there is a wireless solution?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

My Z4 does bluetooth audio streaming? You can't control the media through the iDrive interface, but you can through the iPhone, it outputs just fine. Very convenient when I have a friend who wants to play his music off his own iPhone, which is not otherwise synced with the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

I put all my music on a USB thumbdrive and just leave it plugged into the USB port under the center console lid. All my music is there and you can control it through the BMW sound system.

I have not tried to play my Bberry list through bluetooth because the USB works so well
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
solidgold
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Quote:
I put all my music on a USB thumbdrive
Great solution!!

Unfortunately my E89 does not come with Bluetooth or USB connection. Only have a Aux-out which you can connect via the headphone jet on iphone or ipad. The sound quality is horrendous via the aux-out jet. Worst thing is that you cannot use the car stereo controls to select songs, skip, etc. No displays too. Was told to go get a Y-cable, but it will mean that I have to do some serious wiring work from the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidgold View Post
Great solution!!

Unfortunately my E89 does not come with Bluetooth or USB connection. Only have a Aux-out which you can connect via the headphone jet on iphone or ipad. The sound quality is horrendous via the aux-out jet. Worst thing is that you cannot use the car stereo controls to select songs, skip, etc. No displays too. Was told to go get a Y-cable, but it will mean that I have to do some serious wiring work from the head unit.

If you check in the glove box; there is a usb port where you could place the actually USB. Its on the left hand side of the glovebox!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn View Post
If you check in the glove box; there is a usb port where you could place the actually USB. Its on the left hand side of the glovebox!
I believe that's for Nav option only.
Nav = USB in Glovebox
Nav + ipod = USB in Glovebox and another USB with AUX
Appreciate 0