BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

USB Audio Connection

I've ordered mine with the USB Audio socket which enables the IPOD to be charged and controlled via the I-drive. It seems that a special BMW cable is required (USB/AUX) in order for this to work.

When i asked the dealer to throw the cable in, his response was "Not sure we do it!" - which i know is a load of bull.

Does anybody have the part code as i dont plan to pay for this. I'll make sure he throws it in!

I've also seen pictures to suggest that the Nav can now display artist/album covers whilst playing music - does anybody know if this is the case?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Brian W
Private
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

I'm sure one of the owners will chime in, but the last 135i I drove with USB connectivity simply used the normal iPod USB cable to connect the device to the car. The old USB+1/8th dongle + choke went by the wayside a few years ago to my knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
I'm not sure about the 1er but I had to buy the BMW cable in order to get full iPod function in my '10 E91. IIRC I couldn't select playlists and something else (I forget) using just the STD. USB cable

HTH

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
MNavigator
Private
Rep
Drives: EJ207

I don't have idrive but I have the USB option and you only need the regular ipod cable to make it work. We also just attached a usb drive and that worked just as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

When our cars stated to have the combox, no special cable is required to connect Ipod or Iphone.
      05-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Just curious...does any "Ipod" device hook up to the USB cable...Example...will a Zune or other non "Ipod" players hook up or just the Apple Ipod? I ordered the option also and wonder if i just paid 400 bux for something i cant use.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:59 AM   #7
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod99 View Post
I've ordered mine with the USB Audio socket which enables the IPOD to be charged and controlled via the I-drive. It seems that a special BMW cable is required (USB/AUX) in order for this to work.

When i asked the dealer to throw the cable in, his response was "Not sure we do it!" - which i know is a load of bull.

Does anybody have the part code as i dont plan to pay for this. I'll make sure he throws it in!

I've also seen pictures to suggest that the Nav can now display artist/album covers whilst playing music - does anybody know if this is the case?
You need the Y-cable to get full ipod functionality, if you just use the white ipod cable the car just sees the ipod as a hard disc with songs on it. I believe if you've also specced bluetooth and have an iPhone then you can stream the tunes in through that but don't quote me on it.

The Y-cable part no. is 61 12 0 431 424, when I got mine (free, after a bit of "negotiation") it cost Ł45.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 04:17 AM   #8
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz View Post
You need the Y-cable to get full ipod functionality, if you just use the white ipod cable the car just sees the ipod as a hard disc with songs on it. I believe if you've also specced bluetooth and have an iPhone then you can stream the tunes in through that but don't quote me on it.

The Y-cable part no. is 61 12 0 431 424, when I got mine (free, after a bit of "negotiation") it cost Ł45.
Thanks Schnorbitz - just what i was looking for. I've seen the Y-Cable being used in 2008 5 Series and you have the USB and AUX coming off the same feed in order to provide full functionality. I believe the USB cable alone does not do this. Thanks again!

In terms of streaming iphone (Iphone 4 anyway!), you can connect this to the Y-Cable and it will stream whilst also charging. It can be used with Bluetooth at the same time. I've seen this in the 5 series mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz View Post
You need the Y-cable to get full ipod functionality, if you just use the white ipod cable the car just sees the ipod as a hard disc with songs on it.
Are you certain of this? Can someone with a 1M and an iPod confirm please? Last September BMW made a change that should be going into all cars built after September 2010. It makes it possible to get full iPod integration without the Y cable:

iPod/USB Adapter (6FL)
This option has also been enhanced with many exciting features.

iPod One-wire integration: No longer will an iPod connection require the “Y-cable”. The original iPod USB cable is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. This simplifies the connection by not requiring the aux-input. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the HiFi system via USB. Therefore as of September, the Y-Cable will no longer be included with iPod/USB Adapter (6FL).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Just a normal iPod cable gives full functionality.
      05-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

another mystery solved multiple times over.. .. (post 4, post 5, and post 10)

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod99 View Post

Mine came with my ipod option--no charge.

holly
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
I remember from RTFM the radio manual that my IPhone will not charge without the Y cable. I'll check later today when I drive.

Not true on my Vo 1M. I have the Y cable and the nonNav radio. It shows the song titles and I can control the Ipos/iPhone thrue the steering wheel or radio. I'll have to try a regular cable ans se whart happens. I don't see why you should have to p[ay for it if your Ipod/USB option won't work properly without oit. Mind was included with the car & waiting for me in my glove compartment-- no extra charge.

Holly
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
Are you certain of this? Can someone with a 1M and an iPod confirm please? Last September BMW made a change that should be going into all cars built after September 2010. It makes it possible to get full iPod integration without the Y cable:

iPod/USB Adapter (6FL)
This option has also been enhanced with many exciting features.

iPod One-wire integration: No longer will an iPod connection require the “Y-cable”. The original iPod USB cable is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. This simplifies the connection by not requiring the aux-input. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the HiFi system via USB. Therefore as of September, the Y-Cable will no longer be included with iPod/USB Adapter (6FL).
I was not aware of the Sept '10 change. My experience is with a MY10 135 (without Nav) and you defo needed the Y-cable.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
b1g1an
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 120d M Sport Coupe

This is the full announcement...

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/07/14/se...es-in-the-u-s/

...and implies that it is on connected drive equipped cars, no mention of it being on those without
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #16
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

I can confirm, no special cable is needed at all. I have an IPod classic, and a VO 1M. Regular Apple USB, and I have full control of all IPod functions, as well as Cover View (so long as I am playing a song with the Album Artwork). You can't shuffle through your music with the Cover View, however, I "think" if you were to order the BMW Apps for $250, this might be something in the works as an available add-on down the road. Just a hunch....

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #17
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1g1an View Post
This is the full announcement...

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/07/14/se...es-in-the-u-s/

...and implies that it is on connected drive equipped cars, no mention of it being on those without
Thanks B1g - it seems the dealer was right in that case.

He advised that you just use the standard USB cable that comes with the iphone/ipod. I suppose it would be interesting to find out from those of you that already have this whether the Iphone would charge? I was told by the dealer that it wouldn't. I'm more inclined to trust him knowing that he was correct about the above.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 03:58 AM   #18
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can BMW APPS be purchased as an post sale option or is this only factory order?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #19
Karen and John
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Hotrod99, my 4G iPod charges from the USB socket.
Appreciate 0