06-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

Day 3 with the 1M and German Police pulled me over

So here goes.....

I was driving from Vienna to Munich. Not far after crossing the border from Austria to Germany (around 12:30AM), I get pulled over by the German Police. They have this LED sign that says Police and flashes Folgen. Not knowing any German, I followed and found out that Folgen means follow. That worked out well.

We get off the autobahn and they ask me for my registration and passport. They walk back to their car and started to take pictures of the 1M with their iPhones. ( I saw through my rear view mirror ) They then walk back and ask me to open my "trunk" (while pointing at the hood). They checked my vin on the window with the registration first. I open the "trunk" and they checked the vin again in the engine bay.

After checking the vin in the engine bay, they asked me how much the car cost. I told them the amount in USD and they asked how much in Europe. I said I didn't know and they asked me for my sales contract. I didn't have that one me. They proceeded to the trunk and asked me to open it and they looked inside an let me go.

What a nice first experience being pulled over by the German Police.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
So here goes.....

I was driving from Vienna to Munich. Not far after crossing the border from Austria to Germany (around 12:30AM), I get pulled over by the German Police. They have this LED sign that says Police and flashes Folgen. Not knowing any German, I followed and found out that Folgen means follow. That worked out well.

We get off the autobahn and they ask me for my registration and passport. They walk back to their car and started to take pictures of the 1M with their iPhones. ( I saw through my rear view mirror ) They then walk back and ask me to open my "trunk" (while pointing at the hood). They checked my vin on the window with the registration first. I open the "trunk" and they checked the vin again in the engine bay.

After checking the vin in the engine bay, they asked me how much the car cost. I told them the amount in USD and they asked how much in Europe. I said I didn't know and they asked me for my sales contract. I didn't have that one me. They proceeded to the trunk and asked me to open it and they looked inside an let me go.

hahah just admiring the car.. you should have offered them a ride
      06-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Interesting. I've been driving around a lot in Germany and Austria in the last 5 years in relatively powerful cars (528, A6 3.0, 993 C4S) and have only seen the 'fuzz' at an accident. I must've crossed that old border post about 30 times so far (where the truck stop is with the 90-Euro 'quickie' sign!)

According to my better-half and her parents who are German and Austrian, the police really don't go in for speed enforcement or US style car chases, instead relying on the speed cameras.

You must have a VO 1M. Those things are visible a mile away!

Last edited by b33g33; 06-21-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
So here goes.....

hahah just admiring the car.. you should have offered them a ride
I wanted to look under the hood of their car cause that thing was real quick
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Interesting. I've been driving around a lot in Germany and Austria in the last 5 years in relatively powerful cars (528, A6 3.0, 993 C4S) and have only seen the 'fuzz' at an accident. I must've crossed that old border post about 30 times so far (where the truck stop is with the 90-Euro 'quickie' sign!)

According to my better-half and her parents who are German and Austrian, the police really don't go in for speed enforcement or US style car chases, instead relying on the speed cameras.

You must have a VC 1M. Those things are visible a mile away!
Yeah it was a VO 1M
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sounds like they just wanted to look at your car - close up.

Did you drive past them and then slow down? This makes you look curious to them. The best thing is to continue on at what ever warp speed you were driving before. AND... when you see the Polizei on the side of the road... don't make eye contact nor turn your head at them when you pass. This will also make you a target of interest.

Most of the time the Polizei will follow you from behind... when they turn on their blue lights.... they will signal for you to take the first exit/ausfahrt or rest platz. Sometimes they will pass you and then thro on their lights. But most of teh time its from behind with a blue LED strobe light and those red "bitte folgen/stop polizei - lights.

Dackel

Btw... the German Polizei do not need any reason to stop you. You can not refuse them. AND.... they have every right to search you and your car. Most of teh time they don't - but they can.

When they stop you the first thing they want to see is your driver's license and registration papers. Then they want to see your warning triangle, first aid kit and maybe a warning vest (must be inside the passenger compartment - not the trunk!).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Great information to know for anyone considering a European delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Did you drive past them and then slow down? This makes you look curious to them. The best thing is to continue on at what ever warp speed you were driving before. AND... when you see the Polizei on the side of the road... don't make eye contact nor turn your head at them when you pass. This will also make you a target of interest.

Most of the time the Polizei will follow you from behind... when they turn on their blue lights.... they will signal for you to take the first exit/ausfahrt or rest platz. Sometimes they will pass you and then thro on their lights. But most of teh time its from behind with a blue LED strobe light and those red "bitte folgen/stop polizei - lights.

Dackel

Btw... the German Polizei do not need any reason to stop you. You can not refuse them. AND.... they have every right to search you and your car. Most of teh time they don't - but they can.

When they stop you the first thing they want to see is your driver's license and registration papers. Then they want to see your warning triangle, first aid kit and maybe a warning vest (must be inside the passenger compartment - not the trunk!).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Dackel

What happened exactly was my friend was following me since I had GPS and then I went from the right to the left because I was behind a semi. As I went to the left, I saw a car about 12 or so car lengths back coming up fast so I went back to the right. After that car went past me, I went out to the left and that car that was coming up fast started to slow down. As I went back to the right lane, that's when the police showed the sign for me to follow them.
Appreciate 0