BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Question BMW Apps?

would anyone care to share their experience with BMW Apps?

I'm not really planning to use FB or Twitter while driving the tail of the dragon , but yelp, open-table (not to mention some sort of lap timer app) might be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

i've got it and its OK right now. Not much into facebooking or tweeting in the first place but I have done it while running around. The new wore off of it though. The web radio is pretty cool but if your carrier limits your web activity then you could exceed that and end up costing yourself more on your bill.

i actually got it because of what might become available in the future. For the 250.00 option price it was minimal for me so why not. I dont believe its something that can be added at a later date either. but keep in mind to make it work you have to have the cradle in the arm rest to make it work (not included...another 200+ option) - at least that is how i understood it to work. but i have yet to read the manual on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Bobby Digital
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
i've got it and its OK right now. Not much into facebooking or tweeting in the first place but I have done it while running around. The new wore off of it though. The web radio is pretty cool but if your carrier limits your web activity then you could exceed that and end up costing yourself more on your bill.

i actually got it because of what might become available in the future. For the 250.00 option price it was minimal for me so why not. I dont believe its something that can be added at a later date either. but keep in mind to make it work you have to have the cradle in the arm rest to make it work (not included...another 200+ option) - at least that is how i understood it to work. but i have yet to read the manual on it.

You do not need the cradle in order for bmw apps to work. The only requirement is to install the BMW Connected app from the app store. I currently have my iphone connected using the standard Dock Connector to USB cable and BMW apps works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

It might work via Bluetooth connection as well ?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:

This is my thinking as well. Some sort of track telemetry application would be cool.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses everyone. I might call the dealer and see if I can get it added.

I was thinking this may not be useful but the price of entry is so low (and I'm basically getting the thing loaded except for Satellite Radio) that I might as well do it rather than regret it later.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
I don't have neither a FB nor Twitter account, yet I purchased the BMW Apps for the radio function alone. Good point on your data plan, but I am one of the old plans 'grandfathered' where i have unlimited downloads, so to me the radio feature alone was worthwhile, and makes Sirius and Pandora almost worthless (definitely the former). No doubt more apps will be released, so to me it was well worth it (40% cheaper than getting a 1yr subscription of XM/Sirius)
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
I don't have neither a FB nor Twitter account, yet I purchased the BMW Apps for the radio function alone. Good point on your data plan, but I am one of the old plans 'grandfathered' where i have unlimited downloads, so to me the radio feature alone was worthwhile, and makes Sirius and Pandora almost worthless (definitely the former). No doubt more apps will be released, so to me it was well worth it (40% cheaper than getting a 1yr subscription of XM/Sirius)
Yep, I'm also on a grandfathered AT&T unlimited plan. So, I can stream away!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Digital View Post
You do not need the cradle in order for bmw apps to work. The only requirement is to install the BMW Connected app from the app store. I currently have my iphone connected using the standard Dock Connector to USB cable and BMW apps works just fine.
oh well too late now LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #10
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Digital View Post
oh well too late now LOL
From what I've read without the cradle you get basic functionality. But you need to have the cradle for certain features like displaying iTunes album artwork or watching videos on the iDrive screen.
I ordered BMW Apps for the future potential of what will be possible. Top of my list is support for Android, even though I currently have an iPhone I am looking to change to Android. In the future I'm hoping for integration of apps like dynolicious and the ability to use the cell phone to access data like tethering for the iDrive system. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #11
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKG View Post
From what I've read without the cradle you get basic functionality. But you need to have the cradle for certain features like displaying iTunes album artwork or watching videos on the iDrive screen.

You CAN display the iTunes album artwork without the cradle. It will also display the Pandora album art without the cradle as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Just called my CA and added BMW Apps to my build.

The cradle simply snaps on and you can buy it at any time. I'll go without and see if I really need it before getting it.

I started off with the goal of having a stripped out 1M and now the only thing missing is Satellite Radio (which I consider to be pointless)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Just called my CA and added BMW Apps to my build.

The cradle simply snaps on and you can buy it at any time. I'll go without and see if I really need it before getting it.

I started off with the goal of having a stripped out 1M and now the only thing missing is Satellite Radio (which I consider to be pointless)
If you had a choice to not get the Sat radio I would exclude it and use Pandora. You have to pay for Sat radio unless u need the talk and sport radio.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !mspinster View Post
If you had a choice to not get the Sat radio I would exclude it and use Pandora. You have to pay for Sat radio unless u need the talk and sport radio.
Yep. I don't need satellite radio.

I'm a public radio junkie and I have 20 GB of music on my iPhone for when I feel like music. This and the webradio app should have me all set!

I'm actually looking forward to the HD radio in the car because my Audi has interference issues in a few areas where I live.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:10 AM   #15
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Now if only they'd add support for Waze...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by !mspinster View Post
You CAN display the iTunes album artwork without the cradle. It will also display the Pandora album art without the cradle as well.
How do you run Pandora and view the iTunes album artwork without the cradle. I have only been able to run Facebook and Twitter (which I don't need) and Web Radio using the USB plug beneath the armrest.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #17
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO View Post
How do you run Pandora and view the iTunes album artwork without the cradle. I have only been able to run Facebook and Twitter (which I don't need) and Web Radio using the USB plug beneath the armrest.

Thanks!
To run Pandora, turn on Pandora on your phone and it will automatically connect and you can control it through your iDrive.

The iTunes and Pandora will display the artwork of what is currently playing. You need to have the cradle to have the same interface (i.e. scrolling through music via album art) as your iPhone.

Watch the demo:

Last edited by !mspinster; 06-28-2011 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0